The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 21, 2017, 04:14 PM   #1
lawndoctor1

Is 3000 rds a LOT?

Is 3000 rds through a high quality 9mm pistol a whole lot of rds,and basically worn out?
Old February 21, 2017, 04:27 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

No. Not even close. Assuming the ammo is crafted within spec, and not so hot that it's tearing up the gun.

Probably time to replace the recoil spring though.
Old February 21, 2017, 04:28 PM   #3
74A95

No. It's nothing. A barrel might get worn out in 60,000-100,000 rounds but can be replaced. Slide to frame fit - who knows, but this can also be corrected if needed for many gun designs.
Old February 21, 2017, 04:51 PM   #4
deadcoyote

For what it's worth, Glock rates their pistols to last for 100,000 rounds with proper maintenance. I have put over 20k rounds each through multiple Glocks, have never had an issue just sell them to start over once I break about 25,000 rounds. replacing the recoil spring is really the key thing to do with any auto pistol if you're going to shoot it a lot.
Old February 21, 2017, 05:21 PM   #5
reddog81

What kind of gun are you talking about?

3,000 rounds would be a little past the point of being broken it. It'd be like the first oil change on a car. It'd be a good point in time to do a good cleaning/filed strip or maybe a detailed strip and clean if you're feeling adventurous. Replacing the recoil spring could be done, but that might even be a little early depending on the gun and types of ammo ran though it.
Old February 21, 2017, 05:26 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

More like just starting to get broken in.
Old February 21, 2017, 05:30 PM   #7
nhyrum

My Hk manual states that they tested a pistol with more than 90,000 rounds through the factory barrel. So no. 3k is chump change

Now 3k of hot 22-250 is a different story...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old February 21, 2017, 05:34 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

In one day maybe. Your hand might get tired, but the gun won't know the difference.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 21, 2017, 07:27 PM   #9
tahunua001

3000 shouldn't even be considered a lot for a bottom of the barrel piecer(although some kahr models push that envelope)
Old February 21, 2017, 07:35 PM   #10
Super Sneaky Steve

Shoot cast bullets at moderate speeds and your gun will last forever.
Old February 21, 2017, 07:42 PM   #11
Sevens

While I would not disagree with what has been posted... I would also submit that 3,000 rounds is likely (generally) more than you see with a whole -LOT- of used guns on the market. Not a police trade or former duty gun... but the kind of guns where you so often see offered because someone with more money than time (or care or perhaps sense) bought, didn't like, and quickly traded in on the next newest, latest & greatest.

Just speaking from many, many years of publicly patronized shooting ranges...
There are a whole heckuva lot of guns on the market, many with multiple owners, which have not yet seen 3,000 rounds.

Consider what you (most often) see at the range...
To put 3k through one handgun means even if the owner put a full -six boxes- through the gun, he would have to have done that every time in ten range trips.

The kinds of folks who post on these pages? Absolutely, no problem. But folks like us are a small percentage.
Old February 21, 2017, 08:31 PM   #12
Nathan

300 minimum break in count
3000 a good start
30000 time for a good detail strip & clean, inspecting for wear and replace springs
100000 possibly wore out
Old February 21, 2017, 08:32 PM   #13
TunnelRat

Quote:
30000 time for a good detail strip & clean, inspecting for wear and replace springs
I don't think I've owned a pistol yet where you aren't replacing at least some kind of spring before 30000 rds.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 21, 2017, 09:03 PM   #14
MarkCO

My main match M&P will be 5 years old next month. It has been refreshed 2 times. Frame and slide original, but 2nd barrel because original was not accurate. The hard internals are a mix of APEX and stock. Liners, springs are the third set and I am on my 7th recoil spring. I'll pass 100K on it about May.

My .40 Caliber Glock made it to about 80K before it needed to have the hood welded up and refit. Made it to 130K and Glock replaced the frame.
Old February 21, 2017, 09:33 PM   #15
Rinspeed

For some lower end pistols 3K is a lot but for a high quality one that is just getting broken in. 50K isn't a lot for a high quality pistol with regular maintenance.
Old February 21, 2017, 10:49 PM   #16
Targa

Quote:
For some lower end pistols 3K is a lot but for a high quality one that is just getting broken in. 50K isn't a lot for a high quality pistol with regular maintenance.

I have to admit, I am curious how long my HP22a will last. I replace the spring in it every 1000 rounds because they are junk but cheap to replace. I hope it goes for a while because it is one of my more enjoyable range guns. But hey, if I can get 10,000 out of it I will be happy and just spend $120 and buy another one in a year...
Old February 21, 2017, 10:59 PM   #17
Rinspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa
I have to admit, I am curious how long my HP22a will last

If you get 3K out of it you should feel blessed, and you certainly would have gotten your monies worth out of it. Might want to buy a face shield when you get past 800 rounds.
Old February 21, 2017, 11:07 PM   #18
Targa

Im pushing 2000 rounds now. I really think that sticking with standard velocity at the manufacturers recommendation and replacing the springs on my 1000 round schedule will breath some extra life in it. I have to admit, it is kind of a fun game seeing how many rounds will go through it.
Old February 21, 2017, 11:09 PM   #19
rdtompki

50K rounds on each of our SA 9mm 1911s shooting very soft 115gr coated lead rounds. I expect they will go much more than 100K rounds. I change recoil and firing pin springs as needed.
Old February 22, 2017, 12:22 AM   #20
JohnKSa
Staff

Some years ago I put a little over 1000 rounds through a Glock 10mm pistol in a day.

Just for fun, I did before and after shots of normal wear points. The gun was cleaned for both the before and after pics.

The gun had 300-500 rounds through it at the start of the test.

Some of the colors turned out funny in the after pics but that's just because I'm a poor photographer.

There was some additional wear visible on the connector and some finish wear inside the slide. Also there was some additional visible wear to the front of the dustcover where it rubs on the slide. No other visible wear and certainly nothing anywhere that would suggest that the gun is a third of the way used up.

Below you can see the wear on the connector. That is not a critical portion of the connector and wear there won't be an issue until it progresses enough to weaken the part--which is very unlikely. Besides, it's a $6 part and easy to replace.

Below is the firing pin safety--no visible wear.

The picture below shows the peening that sometimes shows up on the underside of Glock slides. It's possible that it has progressed slightly, but it's not anywhere near bad enough to be a problem. If it does get bad enough, it can be corrected with a few strokes of a ceramic file.

Below you can see the finish wear to the inside of the slide. I'd say it's purely cosmetic, but since it's inside the slide it's not visible.

No visible wear to the locking block.

No visible wear to the slide rails.
Old February 22, 2017, 12:22 AM   #21
JohnKSa
Staff

And the final 4.

Below is the top of the polymer dustcover where it rubs against the underside of the slide. There's a little additional visible wear in the second pic.

Pictures of the barrel before and after from various angles. No additional visible wear that I could detect.

Old February 22, 2017, 01:46 AM   #22
marine6680

Some aluminum framed pistols can start getting cracks between 20-30k... This is more likely if you do not replace the recoil spring regularly.

Modern poly guns regularly go 100k.

Either way, replacing springs regularly, especially the recoil spring, is important to keep things running well and the gun not beating itself to death. I think the average is about every 4000-5000rds.

But some have reported double or more round counts between recoil spring swaps, with no issues.
Old February 22, 2017, 07:20 AM   #23
Spats McGee
Staff

In a word: no. As others have noted, 3k is a pretty good place to start looking at regularly scheduled maintenance, but a "high quality" 9mm pistol should run many, many more rounds than that. I'm sure you could abuse one into failure before then, but it would take some effort.

I can't compete with the round counts that some other members have posted, but I'm somewhere around 2K on my G19 and I feel like I'm just getting to know her! Nonetheless, I have replacement springs on hand.
Old February 22, 2017, 12:45 PM   #24
5whiskey

Quote:
I can't compete with the round counts that some other members have posted
No Joke! I only have one pistol that I know has 10k plus rounds through it.
Old February 22, 2017, 06:24 PM   #25
dakota.potts

This week I started working on my CZ 75 BD, my first handgun. It has what I estimate to be near 2,000 rounds fired through it. I never detail stripped it. You'd be amazed where Carbon starts to build up on the internal recesses. The gun is just starting to wear nice and smooth with lots of smoothing left to go. I expect I've just started the successful life of the gun.