The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 11, 2019, 09:26 AM   #1
fourbore

Springfiled Armory M1A sniper avaialble?

I was giving some thought to building a Garand M1D sniper rifle. Adding it all up, proper mount and replica scope. I decided no. I did a quick read up in Wiki and saw an M14, wood stock with a scope used as a recent military issue sniper. That would be an easy rifle for Springfield Armory to offer. The M1a loaded with a scope base. I looked at the website and all I can see are options for a scout style mount. I do not want that.

Can anyone tell me, has Springfield offered a sniper m1a or is that an easy modification to drill and tap for an off the shelf base.

Let me try and link to a wiki photo:

I zoomed in on the photo. Is that a special receiver with a dove tail for the base?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sniper.jpg (160.9 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by fourbore; January 11, 2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old January 11, 2019, 06:00 PM   #2
fourbore

I found out how to do this.

All set.
Old January 12, 2019, 02:36 AM   #3
DubC-Hicks

Springfield actually has a rebate going right now, buy any M1a and get a scope mount like the one in the pic and 2 mags.

Too bad I bought my M1a on 12/21 and the rebate started 1/1
Old January 12, 2019, 08:20 AM   #4
smee78

I had my M1A loaded setup like this for a while, I finally took the scope off after a while and went back to iron sights on this rifle. I did not like the higher cheek weld I had to use for the scope, I even had a riser pad. Good luck with your setup.