The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 14, 2007, 12:18 AM   #1
Bezoar

Cartridge substitutions

What cartridges can be substituted in the 45 colt and 44 magnum chamber?

I read the 44 colt and 44 russian go well in a 44 special chamber, and thus are great in a 44 magnum.
I know the 45 colt accepts the 45 s&w schofield cartridge.

tonight I have gotten confused because the .455 colt cartridge is also designated as the .455 eley cartridge wich some sources say is able to fire the .455 webley cartridges. Something about same dimensions of case, with just a thinner rim.

If the 45 colt can take all of those other cartridges, will they function reliably in a SAA with a transfer bar system, the taurus Gaucho. And will they function fine in a cartridge conversion for a remington or colt army revolver?
Old August 14, 2007, 10:27 PM   #2
Hafoc

I seem to remember-- it's vague, and might be wrong-- someone mentioning a .45 Colt that wouldn't accept .45 Schofields due to differences in rim width. But almost always they will, if not always.

I ran a web search and found that the .455 Webley and .455 Eley are closely related, with the Eley being a little longer, and also the older of the two. The Webley cartridges would chamber in the Eley, then. Might not be a good idea to fire smokeless Webley cartridges in an older, black powder era Eley, though.

The .455 Colt seems to have been the .455 Eley. It's not the same as the .45 Colt, which is a longer cartridge still, with a rim that's narrower side-to-side, but thicker front to back. Apparently converting a Colt New Service or S&W N-frame DA that was made in .455 Eley (as many were, for the British government at the start of the first world war) to .45 Colt is fairly simple. Not so the Webley revolver, where the cartridge conversion of choice is the .45 ACP, handloaded to lower pressures and used with half-moon clips. Supposedly the WW I Webley revolvers weren't designed for quite the pressure that the ACP generates. Anyway, they'd go for the ACP in this case instead of .45 Colt because the Webley revolver has a shorter cylinder. The Colt and S&Ws were designed with cylinders long enough for the .45 Colt to begin with, of course.

So, in short, they're not all interchangeable, although conversions between various of them are not impossible. Not impossible. Not advisable, perhaps.