The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 25, 2017, 09:06 PM   #1
Soclosenotnear

Rossi r92 .38/.357 questions

We had one of these stainless lever guns come out for sale at my pawn shop but it appears modified. The safety is missing completely and so is the loading gate. A quick Google search makes me believe some people do these things intentionally, but should I be worried about buying such a gun. It is sold with an as is/for parts deal because of the missing parts. Otherwise the gun appears in excellent shape and seems to function fine. Can anyone share some insight?
Old January 25, 2017, 09:50 PM   #2
Crunchy Frog

The original Winchester '92 did not have a manual safety. It, like many lever action rifles before and since, had a halfcock notch on the hammer. At some point the little safety was added to the rear portion of the bolt on the reproductions. It is not unusual for a shooter to replace the safety with a plug or screw.

Missing loading gate? That's a whole other issue. I see no reason why someone would intentionally remove the loading gate.
Old January 25, 2017, 10:05 PM   #3
Soclosenotnear

It is completely gone. There are also 2 holes in the side of the reciever where I assume screws were. Probably to hold the safety? The other is further forward.
Old January 26, 2017, 12:54 AM   #4
stagpanther

The missing safety is common--a standard mod among among rossi 92 owners is to remove it and put a skinner-type aperture site in it's place. The factory installed safety is considered something of a heresy by many owners--but I kept mine and use it a lot because my rossi gets dragged around through lots of heavy growth. I like it (and it's not fool-proof)--but to each their own. Not sure about why the other missing part would be removed--ease of loading?
Old January 28, 2017, 01:13 PM   #5
Mk VII

At least one hole in the receiver (on the right) is intentional. It doesn't do anything, other than allow you to punch the lever/bolt connecting pin out.
Old January 29, 2017, 03:37 PM   #6
Tidewater_Kid

The EMF version I had 10 years ago did not have the safety that was added to later models. I'm sure the parts were removed to help with CAS.

TK
Old January 30, 2017, 03:55 PM   #7
RugerNo3

The loading gate on a M92 Winchester or Rossi has to be properly installed for reliable feeding. Being absent, there will be a feeding problem from the tube. Appears ignorance got it to the pawn shop in this condition. Parts are available to repair it and turn it into a serviceable firearm. Great little weapon when properly set up.