The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 13, 2013, 09:32 PM   #1
mxsailor803

Williams or XS Deerfield?

Has anyone mounted a Williams or Xs sights on a Ruger Deerfield? Will it clear a low power scope (possible addition later)? I had a Wiliams on a 336 30-30 and loved it but I'm willing to try the Xs ghost setup as well.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:34 AM   #2
bamaranger

doubt it

The Deerfield had an interesting folding rear aperature as did the Ranch Rifles. Folded, they allowed a scope bell lots of room.

As a rule, the XS peep sets very high, so much so that the corresponding XS front sight is typically much higher than the factory original on most rifles.

Only speculation, but I doubt if there is enough room for conventional scope over an XS rear peep. Again, this is only speculation. Heck it may work, or youi might get it to work with Ruger x-high rings, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

What might work (with factory std rings) is a short tubed dot scope, of such a length that the rear bell is forward of the rear sight. Another option (if available) would be Ultimak rail and mount the scope forward in scoutscope fashion, with detatchable rings. Dunno if the Ultimak makes a rail for the deerfield.

I've got an early tube feed Ruger .44 carbine with XS's, and there is no way a std scope bell would fit over my rig. But the Deerfield is different of course.

You will like the XS-s, but they are not cheap.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:12 AM   #3
mxsailor803

HHHmmm. I didn't think about the Ultimack. I'll agree that the XS is expensive vs the Williams.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:14 AM   #4
mxsailor803

I wonder if a ultimak from a Mini will work for a scout setup?
Old January 17, 2013, 02:24 AM   #5
bamaranger

tough

The XS sights are WAY tougher than the Williams, steel v. alloy. I believe they hold windage adjustments better too. Stronger locking system.

If I was setting up a carbine for rough heavy use, the XS would get the vote