The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 14, 2009, 09:00 AM   #1
max it

shooters box?

HI, Well it took a few months but I now have my 1911. Almost, it is in 'quarantine'-PRC (peoples republic of California**)

Should I buy the box; you know the old wooden one that carries three or four pistols, place for a scope and timer. For bullseye shooting.
I just bought a fellow shooters S & W 41 and his Colt Gold Cup and he still has the box. The thing is I havent yet decided I want even do bullseye shooting. I love the steel reactive shooting too much these days.
Besides what's this box worth anyway?

Much obliged

Max
Old August 14, 2009, 09:09 AM   #2
LHB1

I found the traditional wooden pistol box a very necessary part of my equipment many years ago when shooting Bullseye competition. I would get it if you are thinking about shooting bullseye. Price would depend on brand, size, accessories, condition, and seller/buyer opinions. A scope with bracket attached to box lid is highly desirable/useful.

Note: Gil Hebard Guns (309-289-2700) in Knoxville, IL, sells boxes, scopes, attachments, and many other items for pistol competition.
Old August 14, 2009, 01:22 PM   #3
dgludwig

+1 LHB1. Years ago, I made my own box and designed it to accomodate a Pachmayr five gun, "Adjustable Lok-Grip" tray. I made it back in the early seventies for use in shooting Bullseye matches and it's still going strong.
Old August 14, 2009, 01:31 PM   #4
greyson97

i use a fishing tackle box......

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old August 14, 2009, 01:46 PM   #5
BigJimP

I would probably buy it from him, if its in good shape - and a little honest wear and patina on it isn't a bad thing ....

Its probably worth $ 200 if its in good shape / but ask him what he wants for it.

If you're not into bullseye shooting / you probably won't ever use it .
Old August 14, 2009, 03:43 PM   #6
LHB1

Quote: "+1 LHB1. Years ago, I made my own box and designed it to accomodate a Pachmayr five gun, "Adjustable Lok-Grip" tray. I made it back in the early seventies for use in shooting Bullseye matches and it's still going strong. "

Ludwig,
We were competing at the same time (late 60's-early 70's). I shot in Corpus Christi, TX, but job and family responsibilities caused me to relocate and didn't leave me time to compete any more. Looks like we are Senior Members of the forum in more than one way.
Old August 14, 2009, 05:18 PM   #7
dgludwig

Quote:
Ludwig,
We were competing at the same time (late 60's-early 70's).
Yep, we sure were. I shot Bullseye competition while in the U.S. Air Force and thereafter (from 1966 on) as a "civilian". Because I'm retired law enforcement, I've had many (26) years of "combat shooting" while conforming to mandatory bi-annual qualifications but I still like Bullseye shooting the best. I'm lucky in that I live only about an hour south of Camp Perry.

I do hate the new rules, though. The idea of using a scope to compete in Bullseye is a complete abomination to my way of thinking. Shooters have argued to me that it makes it easier to get a good score. Well, duh! Bullseye shooting is supposed to be tough! What's next? Shooting with two hands? But, then, I still haven't cottoned to the designated hitter rule the Junior circuit adopted.

And, yeah, I still shoot revolvers; albeit, mostly in the slow fire stages. My Bullseye firearms include a Series 70 Colt Gold Cup National Match auto(.45 ACP), a Colt Officers Special revolver(.38 Special), a Smith & Wesson Model 1955 Target revolver (.45 ACP), a Smith & Wesson Model 52 auto(.38 Special), a Smith Model 41 auto (.22 rf) and a Ruger Government auto (.22 rf).

Even if I wasn't into Bullseye, I think the op would be well advised to buy the shooter's box in question, if the price is reasonable. I would argue that anything much over $100.00 for a well-used box would border on being unreasonable.

Last edited by dgludwig; August 14, 2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old August 14, 2009, 05:21 PM   #8
LHB1

Quote: "I do hate the new rules, though. The idea of using a scope to compete in Bullseye is a complete abomination to my way of thinking. "

AMEN!!! If his friend's box is a Pachmayr, I would definitely buy it.
Old August 15, 2009, 01:35 PM   #9
TurkeyHunter4ever

Wow! I had forgotten about the "quarantine". I escaped from the PRC in 1984! Go North, young man!
The purpose of fighting is to Win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more Important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The Final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. (Author unknown)
Old August 15, 2009, 05:15 PM   #10
MDB

Buy it and treasure it. How many of them have you seen before. I've still got mine from the 70's, and it's not for sale.
Old August 15, 2009, 06:00 PM   #11
Brian48

I had one. Made the mistake of throwing it away along with all the old furniture when I renovated my house 3 years ago. It was bulky, old, olive drab with the usual amount of shooting related stickers all over it. Seeing as I never used it at the range (too hard to lug around), I figure I wouldn't miss it. I was wrong.

If anything, there was a lot of history behind it. It was given to me as a throw in when I bought my old custom Essex from this one SSgt I knew when I was in the Marines. The gun had been built by the armory to serviced the guns for the Marine Corps shooting team in Quantico, Va.. Presumably, the box was used extensively by the someone from the team. I really wish I had that box back right now even I never actually use it.
Old August 18, 2009, 08:45 PM   #12
max it

aw shucks, i bought it, and cheaply too

Well folks, I did buy it. Now if ever i get the bullseye urge i have both the guns and the box.

And I obtained two. thats right not one but two presses. one Lee Turret press and one Dillon 550. boy, when i jump in it is with both feet.

thanks for reading, keep those cards and letters coming, i really appreciate the encouragement and insights.

much obliged,

max.
Old August 18, 2009, 10:07 PM   #13
dgludwig

Quote:
Now if ever i get the bullseye urge i have both the guns and the box.
And become a real man in the process!
Old September 15, 2009, 12:03 PM   #14
max it

Hey Ludwig,

I got the box for $15.
And I have approx the same mix of guns you offered: Series 80/National Match Gold Cup (with the detente pin removed); S & W model 41; S & W mod 19, 357 Combat Revolver. Am I a real man yet? I do tactical steel reactive shooting.

Cheers,

Max
Old September 15, 2009, 04:11 PM   #15
hhb

Gun box

I was lucky enough to find a Pachmayr 5 pistol box at an auction about 10 years ago. It didn't get any attention before the sale started, and I discovered that in the compartment on the opposite side of the lid, it was filled with shooting accessories, 10 or 12 boxes of Ely .22 target ammo, a sight blackener, the little caliber specific scorers in three calibers, a device to clip on the shooting glasses to narrow the field of vision, and three wooden 50 round cartridge blocks. I think I paid $20.00 for the whole shooting match. One of the few bargains I've ever gotten at an auction.
Old September 20, 2009, 08:38 PM   #16
dgludwig

max it: You did good!

Tags
competition , target