The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 29, 2018, 02:22 PM   #1
Grant 14

Can 4:10 shotshells be reloaded on a rifle press

I find that 4:10 ammo is not as available as ammo for my 12 gauge and it is almost as expensive. Can the little 4:10 be reloaded on a normal single stage press. My press seems to have enough throw for the length and the diameter seems ok, but I have never seen dies for doing this. Does anyone know if it is doable or at all practical? Thanks, Grant.
Old July 29, 2018, 03:06 PM   #2
WV_gunner

Shotgun shells can be loaded with no press at all.
Old July 29, 2018, 03:11 PM   #3
FITASC

Walmart sells .410; it can be ordered on line. It is generally MORE expensive than 12 gauge. It is better loaded on a press designed for .410 shotshells.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 29, 2018, 11:11 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

The .410 is unique among shotshells, being the only one actually named for its bore diameter, and not using the ancient gauge system. And it got a big "shot in the arm" to its popularity with the fairly recent advent of .410 capable revolvers.

however, it still remains a niche round. Good at what it does, but very specialized, and sold in small numbers compared to other common shotguns, so the ammo is as, or more expensive than expected from its size.

It is often used as a beginner's gun due to having the lightest recoil of any shotgun, but this is often somewhat counter productive, because the small pattern makes hitting flying targets much more difficult than larger bores. Its actually more of an expert's gun, for wing shooting.

However, as a light pest/small game gun, it can shine. Within its effective range, its a great rat wrecker and bunny buster, and will also take out things that want to eat your chickens, too. The main reason its not a more commonly used gun is the cost of the shells. And the shells are expensive, because its not a commonly used gun (compared to 12& 20ga).

I have seen die sets to load .410 using regular single stage presses, and always thought I ought to get one, but never did, I just don't shoot them enough any more to bother reloading them.

The best thing would be a purpose made shotgun loader for .410, but a regular loading press will work, though its a bit awkward.

Quote:
Shotgun shells can be loaded with no press at all.
Everything can be loaded with no press at all. Its not as efficient, but is quite do-able.

Lee built a pretty successful company off that idea.
Old July 30, 2018, 09:25 AM   #5
Don Fischer

I have learned to love my 410 when working my dogs. I used 2 1/2" 1/2oz loads on pigeons. Thing about it is you need to learn to use it. Works exactly like any other shotgun except range is decreased by the small shot pattern. I'm going to use mine for grouse this year some. 3" 3/4oz loads should work very well. Most of my shooting for a number of years now has been done with a 28ga. My 410 feels lighter but on my fish scale both weigh just over 5#. I also have a couple 16's that I seldom use anymore. When I do it's normally 1 1/8oz loads for birds the size of pheasant's. Haven't started loading the 410 yet but will start soon. stuck on weather to get a press for 2 1/2" or 3" shells, thinking it's gonna be for 3". Get a bit more shot and denser pattern. The only advantage I see to smaller ga guns is in the weight of the guns carrying. With the 410 it's like carrying nothing at all, 28 is darn close.

ya know you run into a kid that all he has is a 410 he learned to shoot with he'llprobably wipr your eye with his little 410, he know's how to use it!
Old July 30, 2018, 09:36 AM   #6
mikld

I have never seen reloading dies for 410 shot shell reloading (that will fit a standard reloading press). It is possible, if the tools were available, but a dedicated shot shell reloading press/tools are readily available and some at low cost...
Old July 30, 2018, 10:27 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

CH4D makes dies for reloading solid brass .410 shells. About $100 at Buffalo Arms. For paper and plastic, a roll or star crimper is needed. Someone on eBay is selling a new-made version of the Lee Loader for .410. $70. That will do the crimp but it won't resize the brass if it needs it. The other dies should do that, though I see a MEC tool on eBay for $100 that is specialized for the task.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 30, 2018, 10:42 AM   #8
WV_gunner

Talking about people using .410, I know of a few people have killed deer with .410 slugs. Usually a borrowed gun.
Old July 30, 2018, 11:04 AM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

How does the gun being borrowed affect it?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 30, 2018, 11:40 AM   #10
T. O'Heir

Regular .410 shot shells are reloadable, but not on a rifle/handgun press. Unless it's a brass shell that aren't exactly the norm.
Fortunately, regular shot shell presses are a lot less expensive than rifle/handgun presses. Go to Cabela's or your local gun shop. Which press doesn't matter much, but they are sold according to gauge. Graf's sells a MEC 3" press for $219.99.
Old July 30, 2018, 01:29 PM   #11
WV_gunner

Borrowed affects it due to a .410 is usually not an expensive gun and unwanted. Most people don’t care to lend out a Rossi or H&R .410 because it’s typically a $100 at gun at best and most don’t want it. I’ve been asked several times to loan mine out. People borrow them, buy a box of slugs, and hope to get a deer within 50 yards.
Old July 30, 2018, 01:37 PM   #12
FITASC

A used MEC 600 Jr. can typically be found on criag's list, garage sales and at your local trap/skeet club for about $75-$100. Add in components and you're ready to go. (Remember to check your bushing's powder drop with a scale as bushings can be notorious for not dropping what they're supposed to).
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 30, 2018, 02:48 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

.410 slugs are no slouch, IF you are within their accurate range.

I've got a box of Winchester 3 inch slugs, which says 1/4 oz, 1800fps.

Assuming that's correct, that's a 109gr .41 cal slug at 1800fps. Kind of in the range of a (light) 10mm pistol bullet, with some added speed. Downside? smoothbore accuracy limits effective range.

Absolutely will kill deer and even bigger game, if you can get close enough to put the slug where it needs to go.

One point, pellets at speed are pellets at speed, and the small pattern of the .410 doesn't limit the range the pellets are effective, its the same as any shotgun. What the small pattern limits is the ability to get enough of those pellets on target to be effective, at longer ranges. While a 12ga pattern can be big enough to put enough pellets on the target with a less than perfect aim, the .410 isn't. Which is why its regarded as an expert's gun for wingshooting. A good hit with a .410 breaks clay pigeons. A good hit with a 12 ga powders them!
Old July 30, 2018, 03:02 PM   #14
ThomasT

I started shooting .410 about 8-9 years ago after I found one of the Remington imported Bakail .410/22lr combo guns at Walmart. That first box of 3" ammo was a shocker.

So I made my own reloading set up. Its not fast but it works fine. I bought a 410 Mec resizer for their press and resize my brass. I also bought a Lee .395 mold and make 3 ball loads. Those things are cool. And I would use them on a deer if the range was 30 yards or less.

When I made up my loader I thought I had come up with something unique. Nope someone else had came up with almost the same thing. Its uncanny how close our set ups are. The biggest difference is I use a roll crimper and he bought a star crimper from Mec and refolds the hulls. I may have to get one of those. Here is a link to the home made loader. If you are shooting volume just suck it up and buy the Mec loader for 410.

http://beforeitsnews.com/v3/self-suf...3/2463934.html

I have somewhere between 200-300 rounds loaded using this method. I have 50 or so of the 3 ball loads. Slugs, I just buy those. But this is fun to do.
Old July 30, 2018, 03:19 PM   #15
Oldman11

Were do you find brass 410 shotgun shells?
Old July 30, 2018, 03:22 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

Single-stage dies are not practical.
You can find a used press, as FITASC mentioned, for fairly cheap. Dies cost the same, or more, and are only suitable for brass cases. (CH-4D offers them. RCBS used to - might still. Lee made them for a short time, so finding a used set might be possible.) Exception: A company called "WTS" made dies for plastic hulls several years ago, but they are no longer in production and were made in very limited quantities.

Unless you want to convert to brass shells for all reloads, it makes far more sense and costs less to just find a used .410 shot shell press. -- One capable of resizing bases would be good; but if you're only using one shotgun, it's not a big deal.

Space isn't much of a consideration, either (I bring it up, because I see a lot of complaints about space requirements when it comes to shot shell presses). A MEC Jr, for example, doesn't need to be mounted to a bench all the time, and only takes up about as much room as a half-decent camera tripod when stored. I've got an MEC 625N(?) [12 ga] and a Lee Load-All [12 ga], plus a 20 ga conversion, sitting on an out-of-the-way shelf, and I often forget that they're even there. Sometimes, I forget that I even own them.
If you have room to stick a padded rifle case in the corner, or a bag of wads on a shelf, you've got room for a shot shell press.

Yes, the stupid-cheap Lee Load-All works. It's one of the few Lee tools that I have found to be good enough to keep around. Unfortunately, it was never made in .410, because half of the 'die carrier' would have required metal parts instead of Lee's signature plastic.

Quote:
Were do you find brass 410 shotgun shells?
On my shelves. Oh, you mean to buy...?
The usual places: MidwayUSA, Brownell's, Midsouth, Natchez, etc.
MagTech (CBC) is the main player (due to price and availability), but other companies offer them as well.
Old July 30, 2018, 08:20 PM   #17
ThomasT

Quote:
Yes, the stupid-cheap Lee Load-All works. It's one of the few Lee tools that I have found to be good enough to keep around. Unfortunately, it was never made in .410, because half of the 'die carrier' would have required metal parts instead of Lee's signature plastic.
I have a Lee 20ga shotshell loader and mine is old enough that the base is metal and not plastic like the new ones are. I wish they would make the little 410 loader they made years ago.
Old July 30, 2018, 08:32 PM   #18
FITASC

Lee Load-Alls have ZERO adjustability, whereas a MEC can be adjusted for varying hull lengths as well as for both sizes.
Old July 30, 2018, 08:52 PM   #19
WV_gunner

There’s several of these types of videos out there, most of this crosses over to smokeless.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fFYNQIwZf6k
Old July 30, 2018, 09:46 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Lee Load-Alls have ZERO adjustability, whereas a MEC can be adjusted for varying hull lengths as well as for both sizes.
Yes they do. It just requires moving the wad guide.
And, unlike the standard MEC presses, the Load-All (metal base w/ open back) and Load-All II (plastic base w/ sliding plate) can actually size the hull bases.

But does it really matter here? Lee never made either version for .410.
All they offered was the Lee Loader (whack-a-mole) and, for a short time, 7/8-14 dies for brass cases. There is no .410 Load-All.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; July 30, 2018 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Corrected an error.
Old July 30, 2018, 09:51 PM   #21
FITASC

EVERY MEC sizes the base of the hull; some with a steel ring, others with a collet. You cannot adjust precrimp or final crimp on a Lee, it is all by "feel"
Old July 30, 2018, 10:28 PM   #22
FrankenMauser

Nope.
Any MEC press with "N" after the numeric model number does not size cases.

Case in point: The MEC press on my shelf. It is, if I recall correctly, a 625N.
Beyond even some of the older presses like the 500 series, that required sizing to be done as a separate, isolated operation (but on the press), this press has no provision for sizing, and the instructions that I managed to get MEC to dig up a few years ago (based on photographs, because it is not marked) specifically state that the machine cannot size bases - an external and separate sizing operation must be performed if sizing is needed or desired.

I think you are correct that all current MEC presses without an "N" model number suffix will size bases. But we were talking about used presses, in order to get the cost down. And when you're talking about used presses, I believe it is important for someone to know what's out there -- that you can buy a used MEC press that does not (and/or cannot) size bases.
Old July 31, 2018, 06:05 AM   #23
FITASC

In 35+ years of reloading, I have never seen any MEC presses that old. I had a pre-82 Jr with the steel wad guide and that still sized the bases.
Old July 31, 2018, 12:59 PM   #24
FrankenMauser

They don't have to be old to not size.
One can buy new MEC presses that do not size bases. For example: MEC 650N.

Additional note: I was incorrect in my previous post. The N-suffix is not a universal indicator that the model will not size.
Old July 31, 2018, 03:26 PM   #25
gwpercle

From Midway .410 dies : RCBS $46.74 . Hornady $39.14
3 die sets to be used in a standard C or O press.
Gary