The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 29, 2018, 08:40 AM   #26
berettaprofessor

Quote:
I have some more to load today and am going to use my yellow Lee dippers and trickle up
Hounddawg; in your picture a few posts back, you show a RCBS LiteChargeMaster in the background. I love mine. Never seen it be off by so much as 0.1 grains for CFE Pistol, CFE BLK or Benchmark, compared to my Lyman digital or the Lee balance. Are you saying it's not consistent on the 4350, or you just not using it there?
Old July 29, 2018, 04:27 PM   #27
hounddawg

Quote:
Hounddawg; in your picture a few posts back, you show a RCBS LiteChargeMaster in the background. I love mine. Never seen it be off by so much as 0.1 grains for CFE Pistol, CFE BLK or Benchmark, compared to my Lyman digital or the Lee balance. Are you saying it's not consistent on the 4350, or you just not using it there?
For long range development I need a finer resolution of measurement than the scale on the Chargemaster can deliver. The RCBS scales are only capable of a resolution of .1gns and a repaetability of plus or minus .1 gns. Once I have a load is developed that is fine for throwing practice or even match charges IF I manage to find a flat velocity node at least .3 gns wide or greater. During load development I want to be within .05 gns. If I have test 5 rounds loaded at 40.5 gns I know all 5 or 10 rounds will be minimum of 40.45 and maximum 40.55 for a maximum of a .1 gn spread. With the Chargemaster they could be two at 40.4 one at 40.5 and three at 40.6 depending on the mood of the load cell and software algorithm. The big boys use $1K scales that measure to .0001 grams using magnetic force reduction tech

last edit - for 300 yards and less the velocity consistency is not a big factor even for BR shooters. They get .1 groups with 100 FPS ES loads at 100

Last edited by hounddawg; July 29, 2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old July 29, 2018, 07:58 PM   #28
berettaprofessor

I just figure the Lite is shades more accurate than any thrown charge, Autodrop, Johnson, or otherwise. Isn’t it?
Old July 29, 2018, 08:34 PM   #29
hounddawg

Quote:
I just figure the Lite is shades more accurate than any thrown charge, Autodrop, Johnson, or otherwise. Isn’t it?
on the courser powders probably so I see your point but compared to a throw it is slow. I suppose I could use a second pan and have it dispensing while I am trickling to weight.

Mine is a old 1500 Chargemaster and compared to a throw it is like molasses. Uusing my old Hornady throw I can generally get within .1 or .2 with Varget and SC4831 and .1 with a fine powder like .223 or TAC.

But longer powder is a stick cutting hassle. If this load works out as far as accuracy and velocity I will retire the Hornady to the progressive press and get the Johnson just for stick which is what I load 90% of the time.

Last edited by hounddawg; July 29, 2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old July 30, 2018, 03:01 AM   #30
J.G. Terry

A scientific method

A friend, an avid reloader, claims that he has had Stormy Daniels do a "Motorboat" on his Uniflow. Expensive but measures perfectly.
Old July 30, 2018, 12:06 PM   #31
hounddawg

got off my wallet and ordered a Johnson Quick Measure, looks like the Hornady will be retired to ball and flake only. If I can get consistent throws of .1 gn accuracy with no cutting I will be thrilled
Old July 30, 2018, 04:06 PM   #32
J.G. Terry

B&M

Too bad you were not around for the Belding & Mull's. Wonder if the OP got his answer?
Old August 1, 2018, 04:42 PM   #33
PA-Joe

Do you have a baffle in the powder tube? Are you tapping the handle on both the up and down strokes. Double taping helps fill the measure and helps it fall out into the case. Consistency on how you are operating the measure is key.
Old August 1, 2018, 08:07 PM   #34
Gary Wells

I reload .45 auto only for 5 different .45 autos & always use Bullseye.Never any noticeable variation that I have observed.
Old August 3, 2018, 01:44 PM   #35
Reloader270

I had use most brands of powder measures in my life from the Ohaus Duo, Saerco, Forster Benchrest, Lyman 55, RCBS Uniflow to the Harrel and they all have their differences. Some more than others, but powder baffles does help a little and keeping the strokes up and down the same. For rifle I use a tickler. For pistol I use them as is.
Old August 5, 2018, 05:46 AM   #36
RSKENT

Jim Watson:

Is using Unique to load 9mm the best answer? Is loading a tiny 9mm case with a powder that doesn’t measure well in the OP’s powder measure the best idea? I don’t want to suggest going with the powder of the month, but wouldn’t it be a better idea to load 9mm with a powder that is known to run well in 9mm and is known to meter well in such a tiny case? Doesn’t finding the best load for your application include being able to load consistently on your equipment? My 9mm load is 4.5 grains of something. To me a .4 grain variance seems like quite a lot. I don’t think I would want to be that far off.

There is some great advice in this thread on ways to make your powder measure more accurate. And finding the best load for your application surely does include making changes to your equipment to get the best results. But I’m thinking it might be time for the OP to go shopping for a different powder. At some point he is gonna need more powder anyway, right? That bottle of Unique is gonna run dry sometime, Yes?
Old August 5, 2018, 10:37 AM   #37
sevt_chevelle

Quote:
got off my wallet and ordered a Johnson Quick Measure
Hopefully you will do a review once it arrives.
Old August 5, 2018, 10:42 AM   #38
Unclenick
Staff

Hounddog,

When you get Quick Measure you will find it does not cut grains at all. Some will chime in that cut grains don't affect powder burn rate, thereby missing the point. The act of cutting grains jars the whole powder measure, changing settling.

I added a baffle to my Quick Measure with its cuts on an axis perpendicular to the metering cavity entry. I then use the funnel method you showed for volume loading and having the funnel spout over the center of the baffle ensures the powder in it doesn't compact anything entering the metering cavity. This, and firmly anchoring the stand to my bench is how I got mine to throw 0.1 grains essentially all the time. Otherwise, I'd get an occasional 0.2-grain deviation. I don't load rifle on a progressive press enough to try out their Dillon adapter, but I'd like to just out of curiosity at some point.

My powder baffle templates include one on the last sheet for the Quick Measure with several possible dispensing cuts to choose from.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 5, 2018, 09:03 PM   #39
hounddawg

Thanks UncleNick , I will be sure to make a baffle or two. It should be here in the next day or two.

In the meantime I took berettaprofessor's suggestion and used my Chargemaster to drop a 30 charges for a load workup.

I used two pans, set the CM to - .1 gn from the test weight. While one pan was filling was throwing I trickled the other to weight on the Lyman. When changing charge weight every three loads that CM worked fantastic.

Once the load is developed and no adjustments required I will be using the Quickthrow to charge 50 cases then go back to trickle each to weight and seat the bullet
Old August 9, 2018, 10:34 AM   #40
44 AMP
Staff

I miss the old days, when people EXPECTED powder measures to have variations in the charge weight....

They were considered a convenience, not a precision measuring tool.

There is a LOT of reloading where tiny variations in powder charge weight do not make any significant difference. If your measure threw your desired powder charge within that range, you were good to go.

If not, or if more precision uniformity was needed (or desired) then you weighed each charge on a scale.

Why do people seem to think it should be different today???
Old August 9, 2018, 11:08 AM   #41
Don P

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ what 44Amp said. I think folks really don't understand the process and get all bent out of shape over a couple of tenths of a grain variance. I use Titegroup exclusively and have zero issues to date with +/- a couple of tenths in powder weight charges in calibers 380, 9 mm, 38/357, 38 sc 40 s&w and 45 acp. Useless worrying
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 9, 2018, 02:07 PM   #42
hounddawg

well I have had the Johnson quick throw for a couple of days now, and thrown about 200 test loads I tried IMR4350, Varget, CFE223, TAC, and Unique.

the good

- it's well made

- it does not cut stick powder

- it is fast, raise the tube count to three, release and it is done. It is smooth as butter in the operation with anything from TAC to 4350

- settings are very repeatable, I just use my calipers and measure the distance between the rings on the tubes or the distance from the top ring to the bolt head. You can get back to the tenth of a grain easily and quickly in seconds using nothing more exotic than the calipers you have on the bench

-these are made in a small shop in the USA by a guy who shoots and understands reloading, if you have a question you can talk with the guy who made it not some CS person at a major company

- it's small and easy to empty when you are finished. It comes with a tight fitting cap so for range loading it is the perfect take along throw

- price is ok for it's quality. You can buy a lower end Harrels for about this price but it will still have a problem with extruded. Or pay bit more for a auto throw that is not as portable

the so -so

- accuracy is about the same as any other volume measure. Measuring ten throws CFE .223 threw with a .05 gn accuracy, Varget within .15, and Unique was horrible and could vary as much as .4 gns

This was operating just as it came from the box. No baffles, no weights, no tapping or any other tricks to get the powder to settle

the bad

-no instruction on assembly or use, the Youtube video is pretty sparse also. It is pretty simple but the non mechanically inclined might need to call Washington state and ask some questions

- I have a measuring tube that did not want to stay inserted. I considered calling Mr Johnson to return it then thought what the heck and used a O ring from my O ring box as a retainer. A common rubber band would work as just as well but I did not have one handy

- they supply rubber orings to help the adjustment setscrews in place. Next trip to the hardware store I will take a setscrew along and buy some nuts to lock them. I ordered my tubes ala carte and at least two of each one I wanted. The plan is to set one of each size for "pet loads" and the other for testing. Tubes are 8 - 10 dollars so you can afford to have several dedicated to a certain charge if you want.

All in all I like it and it has replaced my Horandy drum style measure on my bench. However if you use extruded(stick) powder a lot and trickle to exact weight, really appreciate good craftsmenship and need a good repeatable throw that is easily portable this one is hard to beat. A Lee Perfect would still be the best throw dollar for dollar but they tend to leak with fine ball powders and are a pure t b**** to set

For the shooter that uses 4350, Varget, 4831 and trickles to weight as I do it is a great purchase

Last edited by hounddawg; August 9, 2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old August 9, 2018, 05:44 PM   #43
RC20

Maybe I am the odd man out, back in the day (70s to mid 80s) I always weighted my charges on the beam when I was making rounds (mostly pistol but some rifle)
Old August 9, 2018, 07:04 PM   #44
hounddawg

I threw 75 Charges of H4831 SC into cases with the Johnson then trickled each to weight on my beam. Took about 1 minute per round seating included. Took like ten minutes to throw all 75 , then 30 or 40 seconds to trickle to weight and another ten or so to seat. With breaks about two hours at the bench including set up and clean up. I have it on good authority though that time spent at the reloading bench is not subtracted from the sum total you are allotted.

It's a tedious process but for me it is worth it at the range on those days when everything comes together

With a auto throw and a A&D scale it would have been more like 15 or 20 minutes with the same accuracy and consistency and the darn thing measuring loads faster than I could seat them. I have the Chargemaster but this load is not tuned nearly enough to use the CM for long range ammo. It's only been tested at .3 gn resolution and there is a 60FPS average drop at the next lower test charge.

Somedays that Auto Trickler looks real good
Old August 9, 2018, 08:09 PM   #45
603Country

I loaded 400 rounds of 38 Special in the last two days. and loaded with Universal powder (ran out of Unique a while back). I weighed about each 10th charge, and variance was 0.1 low and 0.1 high. I thought that was pretty good, and better than I remember it doing with Unique.
Old August 10, 2018, 10:59 AM   #46
Jim Watson

Why buy a new powder measure of claimed greater precision and then trickle?
Seems like any old measure that you could set to the desired charge weight plus zero, minus anything would do for trickling. At least it does for me.

Would the Omega trickler serve your requirements?
http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1378-2

Last edited by Jim Watson; August 10, 2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old August 10, 2018, 12:02 PM   #47
hounddawg

Quote:
Why buy a new powder measure of claimed greater precision and then trickle?
not sure where I stated any throw is more accurate than the other ?

from post #42

Quote:
accuracy is about the same as any other volume measure. Measuring ten throws CFE .223 threw with a .05 gn accuracy, Varget within .15, and Unique was horrible and could vary as much as .4 gns

I bought the Johnson for two reasons, main reason was no jerkiness like you get from the rotating drum measure when they are cutting a stick of powder. Second reason is I have a small box set up for range loading. The small compact size of the Johnson is perfect for that along with how repeatable the settings are means the Lee Perfect which is a pain to adjust will get replaced
Old August 10, 2018, 12:15 PM   #48
Jim Watson

Ah, OK, range loading. Presumably without trickler and scale. I thought you got it as an accessory to the trickler.
Old August 10, 2018, 03:25 PM   #49
Unclenick
Staff

The other advantage is that because it never cuts grains it dispenses at more consistent bulk density than other measures, keeping the influence that has on effective burning rate more constant. I don't like it with flake powders. The iron rotary drum and charge bar measures do better with Flakes. The JDS QM is my stick powder measure.

I did a test at the range one day with the QM and a Redding BR30 side-by-side charging .308 168 grain match bullet loads with 4064, and got lower velocity SD with charges thrown by the QM. I've forgotten the exact numbers, but it was something like 12 fps vs 9 fps with that coarse stick. The Redding does spherical powders like a dream, though.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 10, 2018, 09:48 PM   #50
McCarthy

I did some testing with different powders and measures from Dillon, Hornady and Redding.

The Redding 10X can throw much better than +- 0.1 gr, with basically all powders. Below a comparison I did with similar powders, can't find the table with different powders right now.

Measured with a certified calibrated, lab grade balance. And yes, if you want to weight down to the single kernel, you will need a $1,500 scale and a trickler like the Omega.