The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 11, 2017, 06:33 PM   #1
308Loader

form 1 or 4?

So as it relates to "suppressors", if one wants to make their own it is a form 1? To buy one off the shelf it is a form 4? Both are a $200 tax stamp with ...? is their advantage / disadvantage from one to the other?

Asking because I see that the price difference is substantial. I see tube videos with a oil filter adaptor, or flashlight conversion for cheep. At LGS starting price is $6-700 up to $1500. I understand the commercial versions are better constructed with better materials and design. But cheep replacements can be had with thread adaptors and common commercially available things (right?).

I'm not a guy with expendable income, just trying to make reasonable choice and keep it within federal guidelines. Thanks for any input.
Old November 11, 2017, 08:42 PM   #2
Mobuck

I have a couple of Form 1 suppressors made using aluminum tubes and other readily available materials. They are suitable for rimfire calibers only as far as I'm concerned but they do work quite well.
If you build a Form 1 suppressor, you're gambling $200 that you can cobble together a workable can. If you don't happen to be an experienced machinist, that will cost you a pile of $$ to pay someone to do the machining, adding to your gamble.
Old November 11, 2017, 10:29 PM   #3
Sharkbite

Quote:
So as it relates to "suppressors", if one wants to make their own it is a form 1? To buy one off the shelf it is a form 4? Both are a $200 tax stamp
Yes... exactly. Form 1 to build, form 4 to transfer. $200 either way
Old November 14, 2017, 05:48 PM   #4
308Loader

So with form 1 type you have to serialize the can and submit components and design? how would one do their R&D on that can? Or is the design not required? Could I just put a cereal number on the adaptor that fits a gun and work out the rest of the can design? Is it a $200 stamp for every suppressor a guy owns?

just asking because their is not much info out their.

Last edited by 308Loader; November 14, 2017 at 05:56 PM.