The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 1, 2017, 10:42 PM   #1
BuckBerry

Vortex Viper or Bushnell Engage

Hi Guys,
Looking for advice on what scope to go with.
I've been looking at these 2 the most:
Bushnell Engage 6-24x50 - Approx $450
Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50- Approx $650 (ouch)
(Manly looking for an affordable 20+ power scope with open turrets)

I'll be mounting this on a Browning X-Bolt in .270 Win. I will be using this mainly for whitetail hunting in Indiana, but i also want to be able to practice shots out to 500 at the range. I've always thought highly of Vortex, but I'd like to save the money if possible.

Thanks
Old December 2, 2017, 12:15 AM   #2
blackwidowp61

You don't say what your most likely whitetail shooting will be, (i.e. open field/long shots, fields and woods/medium to long shots or woods and ridges/100 yards or so). IMHO a variable scope up to 24x is a waste, even for target shooting to 500.
Old December 2, 2017, 08:25 AM   #3
BuckBerry

Black,
I mainly hunt field edges when rifle hunting. Plenty of room for 300+ yard shots. Currently using a Savage model 11 in .243 with a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x42. While I do think the Diamondback is a good scope, I find myself always wanting more magnification.
Open to suggestions.
Thanks
Old December 2, 2017, 09:40 AM   #4
OzeanJaeger

A lot of it is personal preference.

At 400 yds 24x is way overkill, IMO. For me 6x isn’t low enough for deer hunting. I like a very wide field of view and like to be dialed back to 3x, at least to start. But, if you stick with second focal plane scope and aren’t bothered by a narrower field of view it will certainly work.

I would recommend against a FFP. I’ve hunted with my .308 comp rifle, and the reticle shrinkage on the low settings flat out sucks. I had to keep it on at least 9x to have a decent sized reticle, and that narrows the field of view considerably. Will it work? Yes, but not anywhere near as well as a normal 3X9 hunting scope.

The best thing about your selections is 50mm. To me you just can’t gather enough light for the first and last, legal 30 minutes (if you’re hunting in a pre-dawn, post-sunset state). I use the biggest objective lens that’s practical (why I tried using a target rifle), and when I scope those low light bucks I want the sight picture to be brighter than it is with the naked eye. That also means on the lowest power as well.

Seriously, not being a snarky jerk (though if the shoe fits...), but 12x is a ton of magnification on a deer @ 400 yds. That’s a deer standing 33 yds from you. Maybe glasses?
Old December 2, 2017, 11:20 AM   #5
BuckBerry

Ozean,
Thanks for the advice. I'm starting to think i should go with something of 4 as the lowest power, maybe a 4-16.That will typically allow for more options as well when trying to stay in an affordable range. This idea of mine that i want something up to 24x is leaving me with minimal options for around $500. Also, I agree on the low-light situations, you cant gather enough light when you need it the most sometimes.
I'll shop around a little more and post a few more scope options.

Thanks
Old December 2, 2017, 11:45 AM   #6
Ricklin

Bushnell??

My point is don't let the low end cheapo Bushnell branded CHinese made scopes scare you away from the brand.
If I ran the railroad I would not pollute my brand name with low end chain store junk with my companies name on it. I don't run the railroad....

The higher end Bushnell scopes are superb, the rainguard coating is a joy here in the PNW. My Bushnell Elite is not "that" high end, but was made in Japan and is the brightest scope I own.
Old December 2, 2017, 01:23 PM   #7
jmhyer

For your shooting purpose, I don't see a huge advantage over the setup you already have. I can, however, appreciate wanting more magnification for spotting and judging antler size/age. A spotting scope or high magnification binocular might be the answer; but don't forget to consider that a stable platform for viewing is of utmost importance.
Old December 2, 2017, 01:50 PM   #8
blackwidowp61

My choice would be a scope that started at 3x-4x and ended at 10x-12x with a 30mm tube and 50 objective lens. Gives you about everything you would want for a scope that would do double duty on deer and targets. Make is pretty much a personal preference. Good luck!