The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 10, 2017, 03:56 PM   #26
Brit

Kraig, thanks for the reminder. Love water cannon, the Isralies have some noxious water, for riots, shocking stinky crap!! The masked fools would really be candidates for this kind of bath? Mix in some pink dye?

Just doing some neighborhood patrols at this time? Real quiet here. We just have rain? But I think that will change soon.

Thank you for your Service.
Old September 11, 2017, 12:42 PM   #27
357 Python

On my police force after the "Chief" takes your badge you will be given a bright set of bracelets. As a police firearms instructor for my agency the least you can expect is complete firearms and tactics retraining. You never fire when there is as many unknowns as you stated. Dirty Harry was a fictional cop and the title character; and that was the only thing that saved him from being behind bars.
Old September 12, 2017, 11:36 PM   #28
James K
Member In Memoriam

All of which goes to show that most of the "scenarios" on sites like this are pretty useless and even, if a reader were to actually be in such a situation and take the advice, dangerous to himself and other innocent people.

Jim
Old September 13, 2017, 08:10 AM   #29
briandg

No to blind shots. Only in entertainment.

There are so many ways that officers die impulsively going into dangerous situations, but that's what they do. It's why that are there. The dangerous situation with unknown risks are also risks to possible secondary persons.

A pair of officers responded to a call about an out of control nut running around a neighborhood, and engaged in foot pursuit.

The guy had disconnected his oven, the house was full of gas, he detonated it as the officer entered. Every interaction with the public involves risk, every situation can turn south,firing bullets blindly into Windows puts every person down range for hundreds of yards at peril.

One of the deepest questions in philosophy is whether or not we must refrain from action unless it benefits every person involved. Blind shots kill people every year.

Imagine, your friend has hung his jacket over a tree because of heat. On other hunter is working the area. The vest is hidden. Your partner farts, the other guy thinks that it's a buck grunting, and empties his thirty rounds at the sound,ripping holes all through your partner.

There is absolutely no difference between that scenario and firing at broken glass. A swat member may have gotten behind the house and is lined up with the line of fire.
Old September 13, 2017, 11:14 AM   #30
briandg

Reference to the aforementioned end of watch.

http://www.missourimemorial.com/roll...imothyNielson/
Old September 14, 2017, 01:34 AM   #31
Sequins

That end of watch article is heartbreaking. I hope the lessons learned inform future behavior, but the risk does not curtail the efforts of other officers. It's a hard job but it must be done, and there is no place for anything but professionalism.
Old September 14, 2017, 04:34 AM   #32
Brit

In living in the UK/Australia/Canada, now Florida since 2003, I know where I love to live! Right here!

My best Buddy is an Orlando Police Officer, retired, but still works at the Air Port. My Canadian best Buddy, he is Toronto Police Detective, I taught him to shoot Pistol when he was an Armed Security Officer.

Our Cops run towards the gun fire! Now they have a real man in the White House, who has their backs. God Bless the USA.