The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 30, 2017, 05:48 PM   #26
ritepath

Know what guns cost (new and used) and you won't get burned at the fun show.

I can usually find a deal or three on new stuff, and several on used guns. Sometimes I'll happen upon a great deal on a part or magazine.

Last show I walked up to a guy with a table of magazines. I picked up one and asked the guy what he wanted for it. He said "I don't know what it fits, 20 bucks should be good" I shelled out a 20 and took a new BAR magazine home for my old 270. For 20 years I've been too cheap to buy a spare magazine, being cheap finally paid off.

There were 4 dealers with new M&P 2.0's 3 of them wanted 569, one had them priced at 469.
Old January 30, 2017, 06:43 PM   #27
jag2

Reloading supplies are the first thing that comes mind. I also occasionally need some small part that would cost more to mail than what it is worth. If you expect to find a steal every time you go then yes, you will be disappointed. If you're not there, you definitely won't find one.
Old January 31, 2017, 08:15 AM   #28
CajunBass

I love to go to gun shows. I don't give a hoot if I find a "deal" or not. Just walking around the place looking at guns, and talking about guns is a cheap mornings entertainment. I almost never buy anything, but have picked up some brass and powder, books and such. I'm not really interested in plastic pistols or black rifles, but there is enough stuff I am interested in to make it enjoyable.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 31, 2017, 08:29 AM   #29
Eazyeach

Around here(Dayton,Ohio area) we have big gun shows like Bill Goodman's and little gun shows. The big ones are mostly gun store people setting up tables and charging full retail. There are a lot of guns and a lot of people. At these shows you are more likely to find your deals from people walking around.

I love the little gun show I set up at. Sidney, Ohio. It's just one building at the fairgrounds. You get to know the other people that set up as well as all the customers. You can't always find a good deal , but you are more likely to find one here than at the big shows. It's funny when a unique gun comes around and starts to get traded between dealers. You might see it on one guys table this month, then next month it's on so and so's table. I think the record was 5 tables. It was a SW 686 of some sort. Gold inlays and display case so it was real easy to spot.
Old January 31, 2017, 08:41 AM   #30
Skans

If gun shows were full of great deals with folks looking to get rid of their unloved Pythons, ditch cheap Belgian Hi-Powers and worthless 1970's Gold Cups, I would:

1. Never get in,
2. Couldn't afford the price of admission,
3. Couldn't wake up early enough before everything was gone,
4. Never want to wake up from this wonderful dream, or
5. be full of dread because I died in my sleep and went to heaven.
Old January 31, 2017, 08:54 AM   #31
CajunBass

Quote:
5. be full of dread because I died in my sleep and went to heaven.
Nothing to dread about that. If you had died and gone to heaven, you'd...

(1) be in heaven. No down side to that.

(2) The other four things wouldn't apply. You'd be in heaven.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 31, 2017, 09:05 AM   #32
Skans

Quote:
Nothing to dread about that. If you had died and gone to heaven, you'd...
Yes, you're probably right. But, do you think they would really work? Or would they all be beautiful non-firing replicas? Somehow, I picture Heaven as a gun-free zone.
Old January 31, 2017, 09:33 AM   #33
Chainsaw.

We have a pretty big show around here at the puyallup fair grounds. There are the usual gouging dealers, David who has a HUGE table of medical supplies, few big tables of ammo, one gentleman who sells any kind of pistol magazine you could ever imagine, my buddy Alex who always has his belt feds on display, and a wonderful gentleman who sells blackpowder pistols and rifles, he's alot of fun to talk to.
Overall I enjoy it but if you come with cash in hand you do need to know what you are looking at. I find having a members badge helps with prices.
Old January 31, 2017, 10:36 AM   #34
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
Yes, you're probably right. But, do you think they would really work? Or would they all be beautiful non-firing replicas? Somehow, I picture Heaven as a gun-free zone.
There'd probably be carnival .22s or bb guns, for shooting paper targets. That's because there's no bad guys in heaven...
Old January 31, 2017, 10:58 AM   #35
Old Stony

I hit a show now and then just for something to do on a boring Saturday. Last weekend strolling through one we were laughing at the pricing on stuff. 100 rd. boxes of CCI .22s ran between 8.00 and 23.95 depending on whose table they were on. I didn't need any, just fun to price stuff like that. I was checking out the new M&P 2.0 pistols and saw then between 439.00 and 489.00....and darned if I couldn't help myself and had to buy one of the cheaper ones. I saw where Academy was advertising them at 529.00.
I guess I should have stayed home and watched tv...

Last edited by Old Stony; February 1, 2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old January 31, 2017, 04:23 PM   #36
FNS-40

I went to my 1st and probably last gun show about 6 months ago. Found all the same issues as stated above. I'll keep my admission fee to cover shipping and continue to buy online.
Old January 31, 2017, 06:16 PM   #37
Mike38

Quote:
I'll keep my admission fee to cover shipping and continue to buy online.
Understand, but, at this show where I got the magazine, I also bought 1000 each 200gr SWC for my .45 and 125gr for my 9mm. Primers to match. So 2000 bullets and 2000 primers for only $2 to get in. Would have killed me on shipping and HazMat fees buying on line.
Old January 31, 2017, 07:58 PM   #38
blchandl2

Powder and primers can be a good buy at gun shows due to the hazmat fees. I found a magazine for my Astra Constable II at a recent gun show. I also got my Belgian BHP in pristine condition for $500 at a show.

It seems like the good deals are on things your are not really looking to buy.
Old January 31, 2017, 09:20 PM   #39
chrisp51

Old Stoney, Did you say you saw S&W M&P 2.0 for $239 at a local gun show? I bought one for $429 and thought I was getting a great deal! Sure about that price?
Old February 1, 2017, 12:14 PM   #40
P5 Guy

Another issue with gun shows, especially club run shows, is the vendors set up a day before and go around buying up all the good stuff.
Old February 1, 2017, 02:51 PM   #41
Skans

Quote:
Another issue with gun shows, especially club run shows, is the vendors set up a day before and go around buying up all the good stuff.
I've thought about hauling some of my collection to a gun show, paying for a private table and putting ridiculous prices on them just so that I'd have access to "the good stuff". I would have to use several locked glass cases, put HUGE PRICE tags with even huger prices on them to avoid folks wanting to pick them up. Oh, and I won't forget the sign that says: If you don't have the $$$ DON'T TOUCH MY GUNS. Yes, I'll make lots of friends that way.
Old February 2, 2017, 07:35 AM   #42
rebs

I don't go tto the gun shows much any more either. I have pretty much everything I need or want that I accumulated over the years. Gun Shows around here have gone down hill, same sellers, same merchandise, and a lot of stuff not even gun related. Also most have high prices. Seems they throw a high price on items hoping someone will come along and buy it. There is a large gun shop close by that I have been dealing with since the early 70's. They treat me good and give me discounts on everything in the shop. So I prefer to just go there.
Old February 4, 2017, 10:50 PM   #43
Crazy Carl

I go to see friends I've made through a local shooter's forum that I don't get to visit with very often, stock up on powder & components & sample the hot sauce vendors' wares.

The people watching is usually good, though. Spotted a tacti-cool hipster this year. Funniest thing I've seen in a while.
Old February 5, 2017, 08:15 PM   #44
lockedcj7

I've gotten some good deals, and I've sold some guns for fair prices. I like going just to look around. I usually run into 2 or 3 old friends which is fun.
Old February 5, 2017, 10:19 PM   #45
Nathan

Quote:
34% Honest gun, knife, and accessories dealers.
This is pretty high, IME....usually that is closer to 20-25%.

Lot's of stuff but little of it at a price I would consider....I think most price for a herd of idiots go pass by their table. From what I see, they done good.
Old February 5, 2017, 10:53 PM   #46
Walt Sherrill

The only good thing about gun shows is that you can actually see and handle new models when local gun shops haven't got them, yet. And you might find some oddball ammo and accessories. Here in NC, the admission charges are getting outlandish: $9 to the one I went to a couple of weeks ago... that's getting too high; it just isn't right.

That said, I have picked up some good buys over the years, but most of my deals, nowadays, are FTF with other members of local gun forums. NC lets CHP holders bypass FFLs.
Old February 5, 2017, 11:54 PM   #47
Cirdan

Like anything else, knowledge is the key. You have to know what things are worth. Some vendors will deal if they know you know the market value.

Having said that, I've attended a lot of gun shows and never once bought a gun. I buy accessories (and have been burned with cheap mags) and bulk ammo.
Old February 6, 2017, 01:38 AM   #48
Prof Young

Entertainment and Education . . .

I see gun shows and gun auctions as mostly entertainment and education (Which, by the way, are the classic purposes of the performing arts). I go to handle guns I haven't handled before, learn thing from other attendees and maybe buy if I know the price is decent. The admission fee is usually about five bucks and if I am there for 90 minutes then I have paid less than I would to go see a movie. When I go to a gun show or auction and realize I am totally bored then I'll stop . . . for a while at least.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old February 6, 2017, 02:09 AM   #49
murrayj70

I just went to gun show this weekend in Illinois and it cost $5 to get in. I like to go to shows to get my hands on many different guns to find what feels right for me. Once I find the right gun I often just return home to local dealer to purchase gun. The only thing I like to buy at these shows are bulk ammo, magazines, or accessories.
Old February 6, 2017, 06:09 AM   #50
jetinteriorguy

I enjoy gun shows purely from the angle of something fun to do. Last time I went to the big show in Northern Virginia admission was $13.00, no way I'll ever go again.