The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 2, 2014, 09:17 PM   #1
elktrout

Need help with Rem 700 CDL

Need some info on the 700 CDL.

1. What is the current reputation on this rifle? Is it reliable, accurate, etc? Any issues with the stainless models with fluted barrels?

2. Is the wood a decent grade or some kind of cheap junk like some of their past wooden stocks? How would you compare to say a Model 70 sporter?

3. Does the subtle cheek piece help to keep recoil off your face with calibers like the 300 wsm?

4. Is there a way to change to safety to lock the bolt?

Thanks.
Old March 3, 2014, 04:20 AM   #2
kilotanker22

The cdl is a great rifle the walnut is ok and yes the cheek piece helps

The model 70 sported would be a bit more elegant
Old March 3, 2014, 09:21 AM   #3
jmr40

I thought you had made up your mind!

I prefer the design features on the Winchester, CRF, safety, and trigger design. But the 700 is a good gun. Recently quality of Remington products has been on the downhill slide while Winchesters have improved, or so I read. I've been quite pleased with recent Winchesters and feel the concerns over Remington QC may be a bit overstated.

Concerns over defective triggers is a real concern, but only with pre-2007 made guns. New production guns have a redesigned trigger.

All things equal Remingtons tend to be a little lighter, especially compared to the Winchester Sporter. The Remington is about equal to the FWT when put on scales. Older versions have a reputation as some of the most accurate production rifles made. Not so sure today, but that is only because other brands have improved, not Remington getting worse. Most any production rifle made today should be able to put 3 shots under 1" at 100 yards. All rifles are just that much better today.
Old March 3, 2014, 10:57 AM   #4
AllenJ

Quote:
1. What is the current reputation on this rifle? Is it reliable, accurate, etc? Any issues with the stainless models with fluted barrels?
As stated above many are saying quality control seems to be down with them but the models I seen, handled, and shot seem fine. No issues that I know of concerning the fluted barrels.

Quote:
2. Is the wood a decent grade or some kind of cheap junk like some of their past wooden stocks? How would you compare to say a Model 70 sporter?
The CDL's I've dealt with do not have cheap junk stocks. I do think the Winchester is a little better though.

Quote:
3. Does the subtle cheek piece help to keep recoil off your face with calibers like the 300 wsm?
That is going to depend on how you hold the rifle when you shoot it.

Quote:
4. Is there a way to change to safety to lock the bolt?
Yes you can change the safety. One of the nice things about the R700 is how many after market parts are available for them.
Old March 4, 2014, 10:15 AM   #5
Bart B.

I would rather have a factory rifle without a fluted barrel. As fluting a finished hammer forged barrel (most commercial rifles have such barrels) makes its inside diameters change, I don't think they lap them out to uniform diameters from breech to muzzle after they're fluted. Unless some hammer-forging process uniformly dents the barrel for the full length of the flute.

Remington claims their fluted barrels have the same rigidity as standard ones but with lighter weights; a blatantly false claim as both types of their barrels for a given model and cartridge have the same outside profile dimensions.
Old March 4, 2014, 11:02 AM   #6
mxsailor803

I've heard more people bash the pre-2007 700's triggers than I would like keep count of. I've got 2 700's both are pre-2007 and neither have ever had a single issue. My dad's 700 is from 1971 and he has had zero issues as well. I'm willing to bet whoever said they had a trigger issue with one of those rifles, did something to the trigger. As far as the newer CDL's, very nice rifles that are capable for the job as long as the shooter does their part. I'm not a big fan of the newer woods on today's rifles so I tend to look for the more vintage variety. The biggest problem I've ever seen from 700's is picking a caliber. These things come in a bunch of popular calibers. Good luck with your search.
Old March 4, 2014, 12:31 PM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I'm a owner of a Remington 700. I do have a couple here for my use. But any comment I would make could very well be considered kind of bias to some other and perhaps could possibly sway from the intended subject. So I'll pass.
Old March 4, 2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Bart B.

mxsailor, Remington's 700 trigger problems were only very few per thousand rifles. So the odds of those you and others have in going bad is slim as evidenced by yours not having problems. If you had 1000 of them, the odds of 3 or 4 having trigger problems is pretty good. But this rational is not equally nor fully understood by everyone.

Those few problems Remington had were enough to get them into trouble.
Old March 4, 2014, 03:36 PM   #9
hooligan1

Sailor, even your fathers trigger will malfunction if enough oil and debris builds up inside. I cant speak for their newest design, but it has to be maintained properly to maintain safe...
Old March 4, 2014, 06:36 PM   #10
roklok

I am going to try to go into a bit more detail on one question you asked in particular, the one about the safety locking the bolt.

From the Model 700s inception up until about 1981, the safety locked the bolt closed while safety was on.

From 1981 to about 1995, the safety no longer locked the bolt shut, BUT everything else was still there, ie, the bolt and receiver were still milled for the bolt locking safety. Swap in an old safety lever, and you had a bolt locking safety.

From about 1995 through mid 2000s, the bolt was no longer milled for the locking safety, but the receiver was. I have converted one 700 of this vintage to a locking safety, by milling the bolt myself.

From the mid 2000s to present, neither the receiver or the bolt are milled for the locking safety, and the post 2007 triggers will not accept the older bolt locking safety levers.

So, to convert a new 700 to a bolt locking safety would require one of two things. Either an older trigger mechanism, with the bolt locking safety along with milling the receiver and the bolt, or one of the various model 70 type three position safetys that replace the bolt shroud. Hope his clarifies your question.
Old March 5, 2014, 12:18 AM   #11
elktrout

jmr,
I have chosen (for myself). But, I am considering buying one for my youngest son, who has fallen on some tough financial times and cannot afford to buy a rifle. I have seen some of these CDLs for sale and thought he might like one of them, for he is not really too keen on Winchesters.

I agree that the Winchester Model 70 appears to be a better rifle. But, both of my sons (now in their 30s) still love my old M700 30-06, which is a 1971 vintage gun. The oldest one bought an X-bolt last year and is having some misgivings about it. I think he would love the CDL SF if he had one, as long as it did not manifest any problems. Somehow, I can see both of them with Remingtons and me with a Winchester.