The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 9, 2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Chilli9880

PX4 & Hogue Grip

I recently purchased a Hogue Handall 17000 Grip for my PX4. I'm having a hard time sliding this thing on my grip, which is good because I know its gonna be snug but anyone out there have any tips on how to slide this on any easier? I don't want to ruin the grip or damage my gun. Thanks guys!
Old November 9, 2011, 10:08 AM   #2
racefan

I would try some soap and water after warming the grip up in hot water to make it more plyable.
Old November 9, 2011, 11:07 AM   #3
ShipWreck

After killing myself (almost) getting one on a gun... I followed some online advice. I have used this technique a few times now - works every time...

Boil water. AFTER the water is boiling, through the handall in for 1 minute. Pull it out with tongs afterwards. Throw it on a towel and dry it for a second or two on the outside.... Just to get the hot water off so its not too hot to handle.

Then install. The rubber isn't hot enough to burn you. And, the heat makes it stretch more. Then, when it cools, it will tighten up more... More than other methods, so you are not the guy who reports that your handall is too loose on the grip.

I've done this 3x after reading about it on a forum. It works great.
Old November 17, 2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Chilli9880

Shipwreck, just wanted to thank you for your guidance. This worked like a gem. The gun feels awesome and I'm getting all hyper about going to shoot it. Its like having a new gun, getting ready for the range. To all, if you want to put that new flavor back in your favorite gun, consider getting a Hogue Handall 17000 Grip for your pistol. Feels absolutely awesome!
Old November 17, 2011, 03:14 PM   #5
ShipWreck

Glad it worked for you. This seems the best way to install one and not have it slip off the gun afterwards (because it got stretched too much). Any water on the inside will evaporate over time.
Old November 17, 2011, 03:19 PM   #6
Chilli9880

I actually took a paper towel and just quickly ran in through to help dry. But it definitely stretched easier and I actually burnt my hand a little because I couldn't wait to see how it felt. But now, days later, the grip is SOLID! It really conforms to my hand!!
Old January 10, 2013, 04:15 PM   #7
bt380

I have been thinking of going to the Hogue HandAll grip. Did you all use the smallest backstrap on the grip or did it work using the medium sized backstrap? I am just using the larger backstrap that came with the gun. Do you think the smallest backstrap plus the Hogue grip will equate to the larger backstrap for hand positioning? Since the Hogue HandAll grip is a bit of effort to get on, not sure if removing it to replace on a different grip would be good for it so would rather do this chore once.
Old January 11, 2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Mr_Jumper

PX4 Compact (not SUB-COMPACT)

Did anyone use this on px4 compact? I think grip size on px4 full and compact is the same, but i'm not 100% as I've yet to hold full size px4. Any input would be appreciated.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:07 PM   #9
bt380

I purchased a Hogue HandAll for the Beretta PX4 40 cal full size (Type "F"). I decided on using the smallest backstrap that came with the gun. I cut some strip from a syllabus plastic sheet into strips that matched the width of all 4 sides of the grip. The lengths were left the full length of the sheet (about 11 inches). I placed the Hogue rubber grip on the handle using the plastic as sliders. I worked the Hogue down on the pistol grip then slid out the plastic riders using the extra length as pull handles. I did have to slightly convince the rubber to go on the grip by slightly pulling the inside of the Hogue out like putting on a small sock. It was not hard to do. It fits great. The only portion of the grip that does not fully conform (and perhaps it may over time) is up near the tang. About a 1/2 inch down from the top is a slight air pocket on the back. I don't feel it when I grip the gun since it is in the web portion of my grip. At any rate, the Hogue HandAll grip fits great and performs nicely. The perceived felt recoil is significantly less and the finger grooves helps dampen the return to fire location quicker for follow up shots. The additional size of the width bulge on the Hogue fills the natural pocket of the palm increasing your grip contact area. My full size Ruger SR9 has perceived felt recoil far stronger than my 40 cal. I am going to order another grip for that.