The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 6, 2013, 03:52 PM   #1
WWWJD

Mossberg's MMR Hunter; It's no joke.

Twas a cold and windy day on the range this morning; that didn't keep me from being impressed with the first groups out of this new Mossberg MMR Hunter.

The MMR Hunter is chambered 5.56 NATO and has a 1 in 9" twist 20" free floated heavy barrel (not as heavy as some, but it's no pencil). I Chose to mount a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 AO scope with some Warne Maxima High QD rings (Warne #212121). This is my third Vortex. Again, very pleased with them for the money.

I was worried about these rings being too tall; happily, they're just right for a good cheek weld on the rifle's A2 stock.

Due to circumstances we all know about, I only had three loads to test. American Eagle 50gr, Hornady Zmax 55gr and then Federal's SMK 77gr. I zeroed the rifle at 100 yards using the Eagle, and then started trying a little harder to shoot for groups despite the numb digits and the wind hammering the back of my neck. Here's the best group I shot today (10 rnds Zmax):

As suspected, the SMK 77gr were a bit on the heavy side for this rifle and the groups started to open up. (First group was 2.7" low with these, shot the next group with a hold over). Best group with the SMK was 1.3 moa.

While testing with the Eagle, I also wanted to test these QD rings, as these are my first venture into QD mounts. They didn't disappoint either. Group one below (complete with flyer) and group 2 are before and after removing and remounting the scope.

If you ignore that pesky flyer, you can see that the POI before and after the scope removal and replacement are within .25" of one another. Color me impressed!

Overall, I'm very pleased with this rifle and the results of my 'first time out' results. It's been years since I've fire an AR. This one brought back all kinds of happy feelings. Went through 80 rounds today goofing around; no fail to feed, fail to fire, or fail to eject. The brass isn't beat up beyond the regular scratches from magazine feeding and hitting the concrete to my right. Had 100 more rounds to burn, but I couldn't feel my face anymore and decided to call it a day after I scored 10 hits on the 300 yard gong. When better weather comes back around, I'll be repeating some of this stuff at 100, 200 and 300 yards (is Winter done yet?!)

Was a good day tater.

NRA Endowment FTW

Last edited by WWWJD; January 6, 2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old January 6, 2013, 03:56 PM   #2
WWWJD

HYPOTHETICALLY... my best group of the day was this 4 shot .6 moa group... but statistically, I consider these an anomaly unless I can do it over and over again. Wasn't happening today, but when I get some handloads dialed in, we shall see.

This was with the American Eagle right after the zero.

Here's the best I could do with the SMK:

NRA Endowment FTW
Old January 6, 2013, 06:36 PM   #3
mxsailor803

Nice. I was kinda interested in a MMR myself but, never really heard anything "good" to speak about them. What's you overall opinion on it?
Old January 7, 2013, 08:55 AM   #4
WWWJD

Well, I don't have any other ARs laying around to compare it to, so this is a pretty generalized statement.... I think it's great. I failed to mention that this rifle comes with a single stage trigger. I had no troubles staying on target and applying pressure to break the trigger at the same time (one would hope... right?) I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but to me, it felt like it was somewhere around 5 lbs according to the calibrated finger.

I recently shot a Savage Edge 7mm-08 that belonged to a friend; the trigger was appalling. Easily 15 lbs. After a 20 round box plus part of another, I could actually feel some fatigue in my forearm. Had a hell of a time staying on target too. So... there are some very bad triggers out there for sure. For a lightweight rifle like the edge, the problem was magnified.

NRA Endowment FTW

Tags
mmr hunter review , warne qd rings review