The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 15, 2012, 01:19 AM   #1
rrruger

GP100 noise in DA

I am the very proud second owner of a GP100 that the first owner said had only fired 500 rounds. It appeared that the first owner had never had it apart. While the trigger felt pretty good I thought I could clean it up and make the perceived trigger pull feel a little lighter. I took the trigger group and the hammer apart and dressed all contact surfaces with a fine Arkansas stone. I was very careful to stop as soon as I could no longer feel the tool marks when I dragged my fingernail across the surfaces. I cleaned and smoothed the top of the ratchet arm and the lock that engages the cylinder just above the trigger.
I am pleased with the results. The trigger feels lighter and smoother without the staging I felt before. Now I hear no raspiness but I do hear two clicks which I believe to be the ratchet arm engaging and the lock engaging. Is this normal for the GP100 and will a lighter spring reduce or stop the noise? I plan to reduce the hammer and trigger return spring a bit.
This is a Great Gun!!!
Old April 15, 2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Jerry45

First I’ll admit I don’t k now anything about a GP100, but I have never handled a single or double action revolver, or automatic for that matter, that doesn’t “click” and most “click click” when cocked. So I’d say yes it's completely normal. A Lighter spring will reduce trigger pull but I'm sure it won't do anything for the clicks. I would think if you get rid of the clicks the cylinder wouldn't turn and it won’t stay cocked if you pull the hammer back.
Old April 15, 2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Jo6pak

Quote:
Now I hear no raspiness but I do hear two clicks which I believe to be the ratchet arm engaging and the lock engaging.
The clicking is exactly as you suspect. It's perfectly normal.
Mine has been "clicking" for more than 10 years
Old April 15, 2012, 03:10 PM   #4
drail

A 'click" just means that a pawl or sear or a bolt just went around a nice square corner and your springs are working. It's a good thing. Mo clicks-mo betta One other thing you can polish all you want is the stamped mainspring hammer strut. It will have LOTS of nasty grunge all up and down both sides. You'll need to clamp the strut in a vise and use a fork to compress the spring and remove the retaining pin. Polish it round and smooth and coat with a little grease. Mo betta. Also look inside all of the holes where springs ride. Ruger leaves lots of slivers in those holes. They don't need to be polished smooth, just get rid of all the "speed bumps" using a needle file and sandpaper. Blow the entire frame out with compressed air, lube, reassemble. Buy lots of ammo. Shoot it.

Last edited by drail; April 15, 2012 at 03:18 PM.