The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 17, 2012, 01:06 AM   #1
.wheelgunner.

Can you "buff" gloss blued finish with 0000 steel wool?

I've got some scratches/rubs on a couple of firearms, a Colt Python (on the sight rib) and on a Browning falling block barrel. The Colt barrel rib is a satin finish. The Browning is a high gloss finish.

I'm touching up some scratches/rubs with oxpho blue. The instructions say to rub it down (after application) with 0000 steel wool.

Really? You can do that?
Old January 17, 2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Cowboy_mo

Yes, you can!!!!

I haven't reblued firearms but I have reblued many pairs of spurs. The everyday ones get crudded up and rusty in a pretty short time.

I have used the oxpho blue to bring them new life and the final step in the process is using 0000 steel wool to gently buff the new finish and bring up a shine.
Old January 17, 2012, 12:22 PM   #3
drail

Yes, it's called "carding" the bluing and is done on production hot bluing to remove the "fuzz". Just use very fine steel wool or a soft wire brush and reapply as many coats of cold blue as you want. Steel wool can take all the bluing off if you apply too much pressure for too long. I use paper towels. TIP - after you wipe the first coat on and card off the fuzz apply subsequent coat with a paper towel with a very small amount of cold blue (1 or 2 drops) and rub it in like you're waxing your car. The fibers in the paper towel act like a buffing wheel and polish the finish. Rub it hard and fast. Another helpful tip is to use a hair dryer to heat up the steel before applying the first coat. Just enough that you can barely handle it. While cold blue can be made to look really good it won't wear anywhere near as well as hot blue and offers no protection from rust. But it's great for touching up small areas.