The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 22, 2011, 06:58 PM   #1
ZVP

WHat changed???

For over a year my .44 Traditions (Pieatta Brasser), has shot 7 yard 1" groups consistantlly. Now 7 yards is CLOSE and even if the groups were high, it still held to em.
Yesterday, I couldn't even get 2 1/2" at the same distance!
I used the same 20gr Pyrodex load, COW filler, a Cabela's wad and a .451
Horniday Ball. However the groups wouldn't close-up!
I even tried my Vaquero with full W/C's and some Handloaded CAS loads and she shot decent groups with all the ammo!
I was even using the same batch of Pyrodex that I'd been shooting out of!
Ideas?
Thanks,
ZVP
Old August 22, 2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Chris_B

Same batch of Pyrodex. When did you use it last? Seems to be the most easily explained variable
Old August 22, 2011, 09:22 PM   #3
Ideal Tool

Hello, ZVP. My first thought was the powder..but you said you shot good group with same powder in your Vaquero. I had a similar problem in my .36 T.C. Seneca after a few years....shot into 1 ragged hole at 50yds..one day opened way up..tried differen't ball size, patch thickness, lube..finally checked nipple..opening had eroded from cap flash/powder blowback..replaced & went back to 1 hole groups again!
Old August 22, 2011, 09:35 PM   #4
bigminnow

I would have never thought it would have been a nipple problem...I'm going to try and remember that! ...calling my tatoo artist..."check nipples"...
Old August 23, 2011, 03:20 PM   #5
ZVP

Good advice!

Thanks I'll check those Nipples! I have shot this gun a lot and it's possible one or all could need replacing.
Yea the Powder worked in my 5 1/2" Remington .44 and it shot good. No misfires and groups were OK.
Thanks,
ZVP
Old August 23, 2011, 05:02 PM   #6
Bill Akins

ZVP here's a few things to try checking.

Have you tried a Lewis lead remover or other method of scrubbing lead from the barrel or chemically cleaning the lead from the barrel? Sometimes it can build up. Have you recently checked the depth of your rifling's lands and grooves with a micrometer at the muzzle end of the barrel?

Have you carefully checked the cylinder arbor to make sure there is no play or looseness in it or that it might still be tight but may have moved just a tad and you didn't notice it and it still doesn't interfere with the cylinder turning or locking up correctly but could cause slight chamber to barrel misalignment problems leading to inaccuracy? Have you visually checked down the muzzle of the barrel making sure each chamber exactly lines up with the barrel correctly?

Have you checked for hammer wobble? The back of the recoil shield would funnel your hammer into position to strike the nipples, but BEFORE you pulled the trigger and the hammer got that far, it could be possible the hammer wobbles from side to side causing your rear sight notch on the hammer to randomly be off when you are sighting. Could be something as minor and simple as that, or could be a combination of things.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; August 23, 2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old August 23, 2011, 11:09 PM   #7
Hawg

I seriously doubt it's nipples or leading or hammer wobble. I'm thinking you just had an off day.
Old August 24, 2011, 02:40 PM   #8
ZVP

Bill,
I checked thohse things and the Nipples are all fine too. Maybe I did just have a bad day with that gun? I sure am baffled because I shot 2 other revolvers just finee (for my skills). maybe I was holding my toung wrong with the Brasser .44?
I wukk give her another try with some new Powder and see if that changes anything? I have had many an "off Day" before...
ZVP