The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 8, 2011, 05:20 PM   #1
Steven_Seagal

Was Gifted a GLOCK...

...from my uncle who was a cop and has too many guns to keep track of. He gave me his GLOCK 17 and I shot about 500 rounds the other day. I have never owned a GLOCK until now and I gotta say, I don't get the hype/fluffing/love/fanboy obsession. It's just another gun to me and it wasn't much fun to shoot, if that makes sense. What is so great about these pistols?

I own a Springfield XD .45 that I feel is about 100x better in every way. The GLOCK has a bit of snappiness that the XD does not have, the trigger feels cheap and crappy - like it's gonna break if you pull it too hard. The grip angle is odd and the sights are weird to me. Sure, I get the whole "different strokes for different folks" but I don't see what makes this gun so special. To its credit, the gun fired everything I put through it (FMJ white box and Cor-Bon Hollow points) and it was pretty accurate to boot. I just don't get why some people will nearly come to blows with you about how GLOCKs are the best thing since sliced bread. My XD fires everything I put through it, has more manageable recoil (relatively) and the trigger reset is better. It just feels more solid than the GLOCK. Frankly, I think this gun will sit in my drawer tucked away as a "oh crap I need a gun quickly and this is in reach" sort of gun. Perhaps a good truck gun? I would not carry this gun, that's for sure.

So what say you? Do you own a GLOCK? Are you a GLOCK Fanboy or are you indifferent? Is there something I should be doing (aftermarket mods) to make the gun overall more enjoyable to shoot? I'm not trying to start a battle between GLOCK and Brand "X" but I do want to hear your stance on the gun and recommendations for making this an enjoyable shooter.

Cheers!
Old July 8, 2011, 05:29 PM   #2
357 Terms

I had a couple G-22's. Shot good and were very reiable. I just didn't like the way they felt; kinda like the muscles in my hand and arm were working against the gun when shooting. I now have an XDm 3.8 .40 and the Glock is a distant memory.
Old July 8, 2011, 05:57 PM   #3
amd6547

Whether you like Glocks or not means absolutely nothing to me.
Old July 8, 2011, 06:02 PM   #4
GoOfY-FoOt

I'll give you $250 for it...
Old July 8, 2011, 06:05 PM   #5
Steven_Seagal

lol amd6547. Whether you post useless info in my threads means absolutely nothing to me. Clearly you didn't read my post or you are a GLOCK fanboy who took offense to my not-so-flattering view of the GLOCK 17.

Next please.
Old July 8, 2011, 06:05 PM   #6
AK103K

I own a bunch of Glocks, but I dont consider myself a fan boy. The guns are functional, practical, reasonably priced, as they should be, and they work. Whats not to like?

I owned them back when they first came out, and had continuing troubles with a Gen 1 17 that eventually drove me back to my Colt 1911's. The annoyance of the newer 1911's and their associated problems drove me away from them and towards HK's and SIG's. Still like those guns, and never had any troubles with them (well, except for the P238, which is just another 1911 copy gone south ), but they are way to proud of their stuff price wise. I get the same service from the Glocks for less money and more versatility/compatibility.

As long as the gun works and you can shoot it, does it really matter what it is? If youre bitching about something because you "cant" or "wont" shoot it, that sounds like a personal problem, and something you need to address, not something the gun needs to address.
Old July 8, 2011, 06:07 PM   #7
Steven_Seagal

Quote:
I'll give you $250 for it...
Now why would you want to rip off a fellow gun owner? The gun is not for sale. In fact, if you read my post, I'm trying to figure out ways to make the gun more to my liking. I simply stated that I don't care for it right now, but am open to suggestions on how to mod it so that it can compare favorably to my XD 45
Old July 8, 2011, 06:09 PM   #8
shootniron

Glocks are no different than other guns in that they are subject to personal preference. I have them and they have a permanent place in my safe as I have tried to make myself like them and I have yet to accomplish this. So, they are in the safe and I have no set time to shoot them again, but I also have no intention of ever selling them. Some people like them and some do not...more power to those that do.
Old July 8, 2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Willie Lowman

As I read this I have my G22 sitting on my computer desk.

Glocks are some of my favorite handguns. They fit my hand well. I like the factory trigger. Don't care much for the factory sights (I have Heine sights on my G24C). I like my Glocks more than I like my Sig. I think the Sig is a nicer gun but I shoot the Glocks better.

That said, I don't care if you like Glocks. Don't care if you don't like 'em either. People make a big deal out of the stupidest of things and the whole "Glock, greatest gun/worst gun" thing is one of them.
Old July 8, 2011, 06:11 PM   #10
AK103K

Quote:
In fact, if you read my post, I'm trying to figure out ways to make the gun more to my liking. I simply stated that I don't care for it right now, but am open to suggestions on how to mod it so that it can compare favorably to my XD 45
If you dont like it, why waste the energy on it?

Moding it probably wont change your mind, and often cause more problems than they help.
Old July 8, 2011, 06:13 PM   #11
bigghoss

I have two glocks. they're nothing to get too sentimental over but they both run like champs. my G26 is a great carry piece and goes almost everywhere with me.
Old July 8, 2011, 06:18 PM   #12
Steven_Seagal

Quote:
I own a bunch of Glocks, but I dont consider myself a fan boy. The guns are functional, practical, reasonably priced, as they should be, and they work. Whats not to like?

I owned them back when they first came out, and had continuing troubles with a Gen 1 17 that eventually drove me back to my Colt 1911's. The annoyance of the newer 1911's and their associated problems drove me away from them and towards HK's and SIG's. Still like those guns, and never had any troubles with them (well, except for the P238, which is just another 1911 copy gone south ), but they are way to proud of their stuff price wise. I get the same service from the Glocks for less money and more versatility/compatibility.

As long as the gun works and you can shoot it, does it really matter what it is? If youre bitching about something because you "cant" or "wont" shoot it, that sounds like a personal problem, and something you need to address, not something the gun needs to address.
Your post is somewhat helpful and I agree with you on the HK and Sig thing - they are far too proud on their price. However, you sound like you have taken offense to my original post and that I struck a nerve with my personal criticisms of my newly acquired GLOCK. I simply stated what I don't like about the gun, and asked what might be done to improve the gun for me (as in aftermarket mods that might help me to enjoy the gun a little more). I also stated that after shooting the gun, I don't understand the die-hard GLOCK fandom because the gun seems to me like every other gun out there. I do appreciate the fact that it was free though. Being that I love pistols, I want to do my best to make this gun fun for me. That is all.
Old July 8, 2011, 06:22 PM   #13
Steven_Seagal

Quote:
Willie Lowman As I read this I have my G22 sitting on my computer desk.

Glocks are some of my favorite handguns. They fit my hand well. I like the factory trigger. Don't care much for the factory sights (I have Heine sights on my G24C). I like my Glocks more than I like my Sig. I think the Sig is a nicer gun but I shoot the Glocks better.

That said, I don't care if you like Glocks. Don't care if you don't like 'em either. People make a big deal out of the stupidest of things and the whole "Glock, greatest gun/worst gun" thing is one of them.
Thanks for that, Willie. This is exactly why I started this thread - to see if others shared my sentiments and to see if there is anything they would suggest to make my GLOCK more likeable. I reiterate, the GLOCK was very reliable and was accurate enough to depend on, but the overall feel was one that suggested cheap quality. Hence, my interest in maybe modding the gun to make it more solid and fun to shoot. Your post is appreciated. Cheers!
Old July 8, 2011, 06:29 PM   #14
sheepman

It seems that people either like or hate Glocks, not sure why as they are just another gun. I like them but also like and shoot S&W, HK, Rugers and many others. I like the light weight, simplicity, durability and they are accurate and easy (for me) to shoot. If you don't like to shoot it just keep it as gift from your relative. I had an XD and sold it an kept the Glock , I didn't like the grip safety and like the Glock trigger better, go figure.
Old July 8, 2011, 06:29 PM   #15
AK103K

If you want to make it fun, shoot it, and shoot it a lot. As with most things you dont like initially, they often tend to grow on you the more time you spend with them and the strangeness starts to disappear.

If you really dont like it, then sell it and get something you like more. Simple as that. If you at least give it a good try, then you at least learned something, and have another "learned" gun in your brains library should you ever need to pick a strange one up and put it to work. Nothing really wasted there.

Personally, I think its a bad idea to try and mod something trying to make it into something else. Strange triggers and controls are always "bad" to someone unfamiliar with them. Beyond that, its either personal likes or lack of skill.
Old July 8, 2011, 06:31 PM   #16
JerryM

I don't care if anyone likes Glocks. I only have one, a G26. It is totally reliable. I also have 4 1911s, and not one was reliable OTB, and had to have some gunsmith tweaking to become reliable. I realize others say they have 1911s that have gone thousands of rounds OTB without a malfunction. I wonder how many excuses they made for mags, ammo or whatever.

I agree that a 1911 handles better, but if I were to start from zero I would go with Glocks instead of 1911s. I am not a fan boy of any gun as I like my Kahr as a carry gun better than anything else, and carry a P3AT more than any other. I sometimes carry my SA 1911 LW Compact.

But I sure do not quarrel with anyone who thinks that on balance Glocks are the best. I agree.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old July 8, 2011, 06:38 PM   #17
Toxdoc

I'm not a Glock fan boy and have actively avoided buy one until recently. I have found that it is one of the easiest platforms to play with. I took mine and changed out many of the trigger parts, converted calibers and made other small changes.

The gun is easy to dis/reassemble and there are lots of parts available. Many parts are relatively inexpensive and don't require fitting. It is a great platform to start playing on.
Old July 8, 2011, 06:38 PM   #18
Powderman

Steven, by your post you haven't shot the Glock platform too much. Try these steps--maybe you'll have better results.

1. Make sure the pistol is seated deeply into your hand. The back of the grip tang should be pressing on the top of the web of your hand.

2. Are you using a good support hand hold? Some folks don't--and the pistol is harder to control. Try this one for size:

You know how to play "tug-o-war", right? Note that your hand comes from underneath to grab the rope. That motion is perhaps the single strongest and most natural motion of the upper body. So, with a properly CLEARED and SAFE pistol, first assume a good firing grip with the strong hand. Now, bring the support hand UNDER the gun, like you're grabbing a rope. Let the strong hand settle into it, naturally. You will note that the support hand just seems to wrap around the fingers of the firing hand. Your strong hand thumb will also seem to naturally fall on top of the weak-hand thumb.

Finally, apply light pressure with the support hand.

You will find first that both your thumbs--primarily your support hand--are now pointing right at your target. More importantly, you will feel the heel of your support hand against the receiver of the pistol. This is what I call "wrapping the pistol up" and is as close to shooting from a Ransom Rest as you can get. When firing, you will note that the pistol has a tendency with this grip to recoil mostly straight back--there is a bit of muzzle climb, but it is minimal and the gun will settle right back on the target.

3. Finally, the complaints I hear the most about on Glock pistols is about the trigger. You must learn how to "fire from the reset". Here's how it's done...

Again, with a properly CLEARED and SAFE pistol, and with the pistol pointed at a safe backstop that will STOP a bullet, pull the slide back about 1/2 inch, and release it. This resets the pistol.

Now, pull the trigger and HOLD IT BACK to the rear. DO NOT RELEASE THE TRIGGER.

Again, while holding the trigger back, pull the slide 1/2 inch to the rear to reset it.

Now, SLOWLY ease pressure on the trigger, letting it go forward. At about 3/8ths of an inch of forward travel, you will hear and feel a "click".

At that point, the trigger and striker is fully reset. You can now pull the trigger to the rear from that point, and the pistol will fire again.

Controlled pairs fired from the reset with a Glock pistol are surprisingly fast--and with the proper grip, you'll be almost stacking rounds on top of each other at close range.

Of course, the 1911 pistol has (to me) the fastest and best reset of all pistols. With my Colt Enhanced (primary sidearm and duty gun) I can rip off a five round burst that sounds like it's coming from a submachine gun. But--the Glock is almost as fast.

Try these steps. I am sure that you will find that shooting that Glock will become more enjoyable to you. It is a good, sturdy and dependable platform that will give you years of service and fun. Best of luck to you!
Old July 8, 2011, 07:12 PM   #19
Uncle Malice

3 things that I consider requirements to any glock. One thing that is optional, but worth every penny and you will thank me.

Requirements:

1. Ghost Rocket 3.5lb disconnector - requires minor fitting. Removes all over travel and provides a reset comparable to that of some of the best single action triggers.
2. Wolff 6lb competition trigger spring - The Ghost Rocket and Wolff spring can be purchased as package from Ghost Inc.
3. Lightly polish all connecting surfaces - trigger bar, disconnector(rocket comes polished), firing pin safety block, sear/cruciform on the trigger bar.

(On sub compact and compact Glocks I consider the serrated trigger a required upgrade as well. You have a full sized gun, so you should have the smooth trigger. No need to change.)

Optional:

Lightning Strike Titanium firing pin safety block - This thing runs about $30 but takes out all the stage-e-ness in the trigger providing for a smooth pull until the excellent break provided by the Ghost Rocket.

I also almost always replace the factory sights with night sights on my glocks. I can swing by Glockmeister on my way home from work any day and have them installed while I wait for about $70. Well worth it.

I'm not a huge glock fan boy, but I have grown to appreciate them for what they are, and I've done many trigger jobs, trying out many of the various after market products that are available. The upgrades I listed above are what I have found to provide the best trigger for the best price. You can do less or more, but the above should cost you less than $50 to accomplish, doesn't require a gun smith, and will make you appreciate the gun much more.
Old July 8, 2011, 07:52 PM   #20
Zooky the Bear

I have and prefer to carry a G23. It does what it's there to do. That's all I care about. An XD(m) or PX4 Storm could do the same, but it all comes down to a matter of personal preference.

It doesn't really matter what type of pistol you have unless you're one of those who likes to make an argument over everything you own being better for the sake of stroking your fragile little ego. I find it pretty pathetic when people do that.

Having a particular brand of product does not make one special except in his/her own little world.
Old July 8, 2011, 08:11 PM   #21
ClayInTx

The Glock is an OK gun but I believe a lot of the fanboy hype is “defending my purchase”.
Old July 8, 2011, 08:19 PM   #22
daliff89

the best way to start to like your Glock?

quit expecting it to be like the other pistols you have

it's not like the other pistols you have, not that it's necessarily better or worse, it's just got a different feel to it

if you constantly say 'this isn't as good as my _____' you're never going to like it as good as you like your _____
Old July 8, 2011, 09:18 PM   #23
peacefulgary

Quote:
I own a Springfield XD .45 that I feel is about 100x better in every way.
Having owned both XDs and Glocks, I don't see that the XD is better than the Glock in any way.
Both are fine firearms, and while the XD is a good gun it's no better than a Glock.
In fact, it's inferior to a Glock in some ways....
In comparable handguns, XDs tend to be heavier and bulkier than Glocks.
And XDs have a higher bore axis as well.

Quote:
The GLOCK has a bit of snappiness that the XD does not have,
A Glock 17 9mm more snappy than the XD .45???
No way.

Heck, my Glock 27 was more accurate than my XD45.
Old July 8, 2011, 09:30 PM   #24
irish52084

You kind of asked for some mods you might do to make the glock more palatable to your tastes so here's my list of things you could try:

Trigger upgrade as previously mentioned or even just a glock 3.5# connector replacement
Extended slide release
Bigger mag release
Night sights of you choosing
Frame stippling

All of these things I would consider upgrades to the Glock. I'm much like the OP in my view of the Glocks and I also prefer the XD/XDM. I never had functional issues with my Glocks, just didn't fit me well and I found there were lots of little things that add up to me and that's why I went back to an XD for my plastic fantastic fix.
Old July 8, 2011, 09:35 PM   #25
gunorthopod

Love my Glocks

I have sixteen handguns including Sig P220,2 1911s(SA and Wilson CQB),a Para LDA,assorted Smith revolvers,and 5 Glocks.I like them all,but find I'm getting lazy and hate cleaning any non Glock.The Glock is by far the easiest to field strip and it cleans up in mere moments.It is also superbly reliable.My usual carry gun is the G27 which I think is very accurate and easy to conceal.