The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 31, 2010, 07:03 AM   #1
timpierce

Tuckable?

I have a Milt Sparks VMII for concealed carry with my 1911 commander and officer's models. It's been a great holster when I have occasion to wear a cover garment such as a sweater or jacket. With Spring here, I was looking at another option-tuckable IWB. So I bought a pair of tuckable clips to replace the loops on my holster. I tried it, but it just doesn't seem to be aviable option for me. I had a very difficult time trying to tuck my shirt in to conceal my gun. Am I missing something? Can you guys who carry tucked give me any insights?
I pocket carry also, but I would prefer the 1911 over the pocket gun.
Old March 31, 2010, 10:03 AM   #2
The Great Mahoo

I'm not terribly familiar with the VMII holster, but what kind of clips do you have on it to make it tuckable?

I have a Dakota Defender from K&D which came with standard clips, akin to those pictured here. While they worked, they stuck out like a sore thumb, atleast in my mind. I ordered a set of C-Clips from Comptact to replace them, and am very happy. The new C-clips are almost completely invisible on my belt line at anything but a scrutinizing examination. I'm not sure how the kydex clips attach to your VMII, so I don't know if these can be put on that particular holster or not.

In terms of actually wearing the gun, it is a bit different than a standard IWB, IMO. I tend to wear the gun a bit deeper in the pants, minimizing the grip extending up over the belt-line, but still leaving plenty for a good grab in a draw-situation. A bit of experimenting with the mounting positions was all that was needed for getting a comfortable carry position. The lower carry position will minimize the likelihood of the grip being readily identifiable on your side through the shirt.

On of the biggest problems I have found in wearing a tucked-holster is that I find the shirt can bunch up more in the holster and clips than on the other side. It requires a few extra seconds when getting dressed to make sure that my shirt is on straight and not clustered around my gun. A minor inconvenience, but one to note, especially when wearing shirts with long tails; the more fabric to jam between the holster and clips, the more of a pain it can be.

Also, while carrying tucked, be aware of your body movements. Bending can make the gun print more, since the bottom of the shirt isn't able to swing out to accomodate the movement, instead being pulled taunt over the gun and printing. Allowing enough excess material bloused out of the belt will keep this from happening, but you don't want to leave so much out that you just end up looking slobbish.

One last point is about the shirt itself. As with any carry, patterened shirts will minimize printing more. I tend to only carry Tucked these days when wearing dress shirts, which are always solid colors for me, so depending on your dress this may or may nor be an issue. You may want to look into striped shirts instead of solid colors, but I just don't like 'em.
Old March 31, 2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Ichiban

I am a fan of the Silent Thunder by Tucker Gun Leather http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/sithky.html.

I don't tuck very often but when I do I make sure the shirt is full cut so that it will blouse out. It is a bit a pain to get the shirt material properly aligned and fit along the holster but people that know I carry tell me that they can't see my 1911 at all. You do have to be a little more attentive to your movements as it is a little easier to print with a tucked in shirt when you twist, reach, or bend.
Old March 31, 2010, 07:28 PM   #4
armedbutnotdangerous

I have a Supertuck from Crossbreed Holsters. Uglier than sin, but works well.
Not even my wife can tell if I'm carrying, and I carry a full size 1911 in it.
Also quite comfortable. Clips are metal, and don't really look like holster clips.
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/
Old March 31, 2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Caboclo

Plus 1 for Crossbreed. I use their Quickclip with my 5" XD45. Works well. Not sure what problems you're having; check out the little demo video on Crossbreed's website, might answer some questions.
Old April 1, 2010, 07:35 AM   #6
timpierce

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have the plastic clips that are made for the VMII. I'm gonna try it again over the weekend.
Old April 1, 2010, 05:34 PM   #7
beequick

i vote crossbreed as well. comfortable as hell and HIGHLY concealable
Old April 3, 2010, 07:33 PM   #8
Leader

Another vote for the SuperTuck by Crossbreed.
Old April 3, 2010, 09:12 PM   #9
ATW525

I don't normally tuck, but when I do I've found that my Glock 36 almost completely disappears in a Comp-Tac MTAC. Only the clips give it away. If I felt the need to tuck on a regular basis, I'd probably spring for v-clips and a velcro backed belt.
Old April 3, 2010, 10:42 PM   #10
Sunstealer

I also have the Comp-Tac Mtac with the velcro clips for an XD-45. I have a couple of Beltman belts with the integrated velcro strip on the inside. I can tuck or untuck with it and it is very hidden either way. The XD-45 I carry is the full size model and I am not a big guy. My wife is also sometimes surprised when she sees I was carrying all day and she did not even know.
Old April 3, 2010, 11:00 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

I didn't know a holster could be comfortable until i got my crossbreed, although i thought all of my previous ones were. I don't even use my OWB holster for open carry when i can b/c my IWB holster is just as comfortable.
Old April 6, 2010, 02:31 PM   #12
hawkeye680

No need for a new holster at all.

This is probably going to be hard to explain, but tuck your shirt in as normal except for where the holster rides. The part of your shirt that is where the holster is should be flipped up and folded in on itself along the line of your belt, or wherever the rest of your shirt rides. As long as your shirt is pulled and tucked tight enough after the holster nobody should be able to tell.

Make sense? I went through the tuckable clips too and they were an absolute pain in the butt.
Old April 6, 2010, 05:53 PM   #13
TriumphGuy

Another vote for a Comp-Tac Minotaur. Tucks easy and very comfortable.
Old April 6, 2010, 06:45 PM   #14
Dwight55

I seldom carry "tucked" as I prefer a vest or other cover garment.

When I do, it was always difficult for me to believe that no one would see the obviously different stripes on my belt from the holster support system.

That's why I now have two tuckable "cactus" holsters, . . . one black with a matching black belt, . . . the other a sunburst tan, . . . with matching belt.

Maybe I'm picky, . . . but it works to the point that looking in a mirror, I can't see any noticeable giveaway that I'm carrying. That's what "concealed" is all about. And I too, carry a full size, all steel, 1911.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old April 6, 2010, 06:50 PM   #15
UltraRick

Another fan of Supertuck here! Carry a Officers 1911.
Old April 7, 2010, 06:43 AM   #16
timpierce

Thanks for the info everyone-very helpful.
Hawkeye, I tried what you suggested and I think it'll work fine. I just need to practice it a little more. The clips are completely different from using the loops.

Last edited by timpierce; April 9, 2010 at 07:20 AM. Reason: wording