The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old November 26, 2008, 12:57 AM   #1
KUHIO

Las Vegas Shooters

Any vegas shooters here? I'm looking for some range buddies
Old November 26, 2008, 06:15 AM   #2
Regular Joe

I'm here, but my days off are mid-week. I normally go out to the open ranges, a few miles past Southern Highlands on Las Vegas Blvd, at mile marker 15 or marker 12. I avoid the local indoor and organized ranges like the plague, because shooting paper does nothing for me, and that crowd is not "me" either.
Old November 26, 2008, 07:59 PM   #3
KUHIO

Hey Regular Joe,

Yea I'm with ya on the desert shooting. I visited an indoor once and got bored very quickly. My favorite spot is out near Boulder City, actually South of town off the 95. What do you shoot Joe?
Old November 27, 2008, 07:12 AM   #4
Regular Joe

I've heard of the place you mention, but not sure if it's BLM? I have talked to metro at the place near the liteweight quarry, and he said that it's all private land out there where the owners have no prob.
Nowadays, most of my shooting is with a pair of 10/.22's and only enough with the P-95 to remain proficient. I wanna' shoot more with the 870 Express, but only after I tame the recoil a bit. As it is, performance with the 3" mags is just too much of an advantage to give up, and if I HAVE to shoot it, that performance is what it's all about.
I've been thinking hard about whether or not I need any more guns, and if I decide to go ahead, it will be a .223 bolt gun with a 20" heavy barrel and Nikon 6~18 scope. I find a lot of .223 brass, and used to load for it.
If you're looking for brass, try going all the way out Vegas Valley drive, to Hollywood. A bunch of yahoos shoot there, altho it is definitely NOT legal. I haven't been there, but my security guy shoots there all the time. Go armed, as the gangbangers like that place.
My main reason for having guns is defense, since I've had some run-ins in the outback with idiots. I find that a man who remains cool and deliberate is better armed with a scoped 10/22 than a moron with an AK, because the kind of person who shoots an AK like a moron isn't going to hit me. People who do take the time to gain shooting skills are not the problem causing kind.
If we do come to a bad urban situation, I think the ranges will be short, and the bad guys pretty inept, so I have faith that well placed short range shots (within 100 yds) will win the day.
PM me if you want to hook up.
Old November 29, 2008, 03:50 PM   #5
checkmate

Do you guys have any experience with Desert Sportsman? Good/Bad etc.?
Old November 29, 2008, 04:27 PM   #6
KUHIO

Never been there, but never heard anything negative about it.
Old November 29, 2008, 07:38 PM   #7
guntotinguy

Usually head out to the desert near Nelson...some good places out there,"usually' no crowds and you can shoot what you want.I gave up on'indoor ranges' a long while back....not enough ventilation.Desert Sportsman is a good place as I have heard but not a member myself...as like mentioned above,I also am not a 'people person'.If you all want to meet up sometime let me know.
Old November 29, 2008, 10:44 PM   #8
KUHIO

Quote:
Usually head out to the desert near Nelson...
That's the same area I usually go to shoot. I actually go 5-10 miles past the Nelson turn.
Old November 30, 2008, 01:30 PM   #9

I am a member at Desert Sportsmans. Life Member. Been a member there for many years.
I am just the opposite of the previous posts: I am primarily interested in making every shot count and being able to verify my hits. I shoot on paper or steel. I have also participated in many of the organized shooting events hosted by Desert Sportsmans: IDPA, IPSC, .22 Silhouette, Vintage Bolt and Semi Rifle matches, the monthly machinegun matches.........

I am not above shooting junk in the Desert but I usually head out to Pahrump for that.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old November 30, 2008, 01:49 PM   #10
KUHIO

Good to hear from ya 444! I have heard that desert sportsman has had probelms with nearby residents complaining about the range. Is that true? A shooting buddy of mine said they keep building new homes closer and closer to the facility.
Old November 30, 2008, 02:13 PM   #11

I don't know if they have gotten any complaints, but I am sure they will eventually. The closest houses are probably a mile or more away from any shooting. But, they can see each other so I am sure someone will complain if they haven't yet.
It looks like the construction that was moving closer to the range has come to a stop six months or so ago. But, if the economy ever comes back, I am sure the construction will continue.
Even at that point the closest houses will be like a mile away, but I am sure the complaints will come anyway.
Old November 30, 2008, 07:23 PM   #12
KUHIO

Well I hope they don't encounter any problems. What's the turn out for IDPA like out there? I've never shot competitively, but I'm thinking about getting into it next year.
Old November 30, 2008, 10:28 PM   #13
checkmate

444- What is the contact info to join Desert Sportsman? cost? Thanks.-Don
I'm betting it would cost about a BAZILLION dollars to environmentally clean up the sight before the yuppies could take it over.
Old November 30, 2008, 11:05 PM   #14

That is what I am hoping.
Before developers could take over, the cost of clean up would make it not worth the cost.
Another one of my pet conspiracy theories: when they open that county run shooting park at the end of Decatur, "they" will say that now that a safe shooting place has been provided by the .gov, there isn't a need for places like Desert Sportsmans, so the land should be auctioned off to the mayors brother in law or somebody.
FWIW: I envision that new shooting park to be FULL of rules that will be enforced by county employees that are NOT into shooting: they are just county employees who applied for a job. The rules will be retarded.

I don't know the contact info.
Wait, I spent about two seconds and googled it: http://www.dsrpc.net/dsrpcnewapplication.pdf

Turn out for IDPA.
I haven't been to an IDPA match for several years. When I went there I was living in Pahrump, so it was a long drive. I ended up losing interest because of the drive and because there is only one match per month which isn't often enough to maintain my interest. Anyway, there was probably a dozen to 20 people there at the matches I attended.
At the time, I started trying to spend a weekend in Phoenix. The Phoenix area is a mecca for the shooting sports. At the time you could participate in some kind of "action" pistol shooting sport like four times a week in Phoenix. So, I would drive down there on a Friday and see a Diamondbacks game. Saturday morning I would shoot then go to another baseball game on Saturday night. Sunday morning I would shoot another match and then drive home.
That, combined with the one match per month in Las Vegas kept me interested for awhile.
My problem with all this stuff is my work schedule. I don't work normal business hours so it is hard for me to commit to something like this. If I happen to work on the Saturday of the match, I have to go for two months without shooting a match since they only have one per month.

Last edited by 444; November 30, 2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old December 1, 2008, 01:08 PM   #15
checkmate

I don't know the contact info.
Wait, I spent about two seconds and googled it: http://www.dsrpc.net/dsrpcnewapplication.pdf

Thanks for the link. Sorry you lost those 2 seconds!
It never dawned on me that an outdoor range would have a website. Yes, I should have googled it thanks again for politely suggesting that.

Last edited by checkmate; December 1, 2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old December 1, 2008, 07:08 PM   #16

I was hoping you would get a chuckle out of that and not think I was being a dick.
Old December 1, 2008, 07:41 PM   #17
guntotinguy

Quote:
That's the same area I usually go to shoot. I actually go 5-10 miles past the Nelson turn.
Yep,just pass the cattle crossing,I go out to the farther site down the dirt road...back near the far hill,less messy and you have more room to move about.
Old February 24, 2009, 08:17 PM   #18
dgnagy

First time hand gun owner here living in Las Vegas, NV. I just got my gun on Monday and shot it at The Gun Store. I was not impressed with their indoor range. Does anyone know of a nice and less busy gun range inside or out? Does anyone know of anywhere to shoot in the SE area of Vegas?
Old February 25, 2009, 05:46 AM   #19
cabbynate

Quote:
First time hand gun owner here living in Las Vegas, NV. I just got my gun on Monday and shot it at The Gun Store. I was not impressed with their indoor range. Does anyone know of a nice and less busy gun range inside or out? Does anyone know of anywhere to shoot in the SE area of Vegas?
You can try Desert Lakes Shooting Club. They have a nice hand gun area.
The drive may take you out of the way but it's worth it....
http://www.desertlakeshooting.com/
Old March 3, 2009, 03:36 PM   #20
MattLV

Places to shoot

Hey y'all. I agree, i avoid indoor gun ranges like the plague. Nothing but stupid tourists or 18 year old gangster wannabe's. I usually head west on Blue diamond, after you get over the pass you turn off on Lovell Canyon road and head a few miles in...there's an area there where everyone goes to shoot. Looking to get into varmint hunting, but not quite ready to tackle the remote desert alone. Anyone interested, or know of anyone who is?
Old March 25, 2009, 10:47 PM   #21
kerby

I belong to Desert Sportsmans, been there a couple of times. I am interested in learning more desert places. I have been to the Blue Diamond/Rainbow mines shooting in the ravine. Willing to go to some other places. I definitly need to go shoot something. Drop me a pm, see if we can connect.

Kerby
Old April 18, 2009, 02:29 PM   #22
max it

Pahrump anyone?

HI 444 and guys,

I pass thru Pahrump every so often on biz and then head south to Baker CA. On one trip I wanted to kill an hour or two and plink some targets. But I wasnt sure where it was legal. Got 411 for me?

much obliged,

Max I.T.
Old April 19, 2009, 12:13 PM   #23

Yes, it is perfectly legal in Nevada.

I am not sure where you are coming from, but if you are on Highway 160 heading south through Pahrump, in the north end of pahrump turn on Belle Vista Road (the road that goes to Death Valley). Take that road about 5-10 miles (you won't be able to see the town) and there is a "shooting range" on the right side of the road. It is nothing more than some dirt piles that serve as backstops. All the Whiskey Tangos dump trash out there so there is a ton of stuff to shoot at.
I am normally a pretty straight laced shooter. I make every shot count. I have no interest at all in firing a gun just to make a noise. However, shooting at junk is a lot of fun. For me, it isn't to see stuff break or explode is the fact that you can stand there and have an almost infinite number of targets to shoot at. It is up to you how challenging you want to make them. For example: you have a plastic soda bottle at 15 yards. Hitting it is no challenge at all and a waste of ammo. So, you shoot the screw on top off of it. I have spent many a day out there going through a brick of .22s out of handguns. This is plinking, a lost American sport. As Americans become more urbanized and only shoot on designated ranges or even indoors, things like this are quickly dying out.

The reason I specify in Nevada is that you are getting close to kalifornia out there and I doubt that a lot of this stuff would be legal there. I know I was shooting my machinegun, suppressors, ARs and things like that on the dry lake bed just to the west of Pahrump until somebody told me that I was actually in kalifornia which of course was totally illegal. I had no idea. If you don't want to shoot there, make sure you are acutally in Nevada, pull well off the road like out of sight or at least 100 yards off the road well out of town and you should be fine.
Old April 19, 2009, 04:54 PM   #24
Daniel BOON

I shoot at

Boulder city gun club or in the desert south of Boulder; you need to be really carefull no matter which part of the desert you shoot in. so lets load up and go shoot. I have tons of ammo, and I need to practice.
Old April 30, 2009, 02:24 PM   #25
max it

Pahrump

Hi Ya,

It's Bell Vista Ave westward,

I had a heck of a time looking for Belle Vista on Google Earth.

But great tip 444, it makes the trek out there worthwhile.

much obliged,

Max