The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 18, 2005, 08:26 PM   #1
copperhead

Herters rifle

I have a herters 6mm with a crown and BMP.It looks like new , does anyone know more about this rifle .Thanks
Old December 18, 2005, 10:56 PM   #2
MeekAndMild

I know they are 'way cool! I used to read Herter's catalogs from cover to cover but just about the time I got to where I could afford one of their rifles the feds passed the law prohibiting mail order sales!

You might try calling Cabella's I'm not sure if they bought Herter's out or just sell for them but they may have more info.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.

Last edited by MeekAndMild; December 18, 2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old December 18, 2005, 11:52 PM   #3
pipoman

I would like to see pics. My dad used to buy fishing equipment from Herters.
Old December 19, 2005, 09:22 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Most Herter's rifles were built on BSA (Birmingham Small Arms, England; no relation to the current junk from Communist China) actions. I think there were some on Spanish and Yugo Mausers. I don't know where they got barrels and stocks.
Old December 21, 2005, 04:48 PM   #5
piddler

herters

i have a herters in 243. i bought it mail order in the mid 60's. it was ordered left handed, but arrived to me for the right. very good quality on a yugo mauser action. i also had most of their loading tools which were affordable and very well built. piddler (OIIIIO)