The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 24, 2000, 07:44 AM   #1
Jeffly

I am thinking of getting a 30.06 in either Win. model 70 or Rem. 700 I have a scope with target knobs on it , do you think they would get in the way for hunting.
Old July 24, 2000, 01:09 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Not much, if any, Jeff. What's more crucial is how much magnification, how much field and clarity.

IMO, more folks out there have too much magnification than too little at reasonable hunting ranges. Hunted well and often under Eastern conditions with scopes no more than 4X,and currently most of my deer guns wear peep sights.

Even under Wyoming conditions, I doubt that more than 10X is ever called for, and most folks would be happy with 6X, but others may differ.
Old July 24, 2000, 01:12 PM   #3
Shootist3006

Depends mostly on the scope power. Most scopes with target knobs are higher in power than is useful for hunting. Also, the knobs MAY pose an impediment in some scenarios.
Old July 24, 2000, 01:20 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Generalizing, if most of your shooting is to be no more than 200 yards, a 1.5X5, or either a K2.5 or K4 (or equivalent) is plenty. I've used a Leupold 3X9 for years on my '06; currently have a 44Mag; and am considering going to a lower power and thus lighter-weight scope.

One of my longest deer-kills was at around 350 yards; I happened to have the scope set on 3X. The deer didn't care.

Art
Old July 24, 2000, 02:03 PM   #5
Jeffly

Thanks for the reply's. I probably wouldn't take a shot out side of 250-300 yards max. Was thinking of going on a guided hunt for elk out west were they travel on horseback, and wondered if the knobs would get in the way sliding it in the scabbard.
Old July 25, 2000, 03:12 PM   #6
Paul B.

Jeffly. I think that your scope with target knobs would be affected by a saddle scabbard. I've hunted the West all my life, from the rain forests of California and Washington state, to the open areas of Nevada, Oregon, and Arizona. Most of the time I have used either a good 4X or 3x9X, usually set on 3X The longest shot I have ever made was at 427 paces, witnessed at a 195 pound Mule deer. The scope? A 3x Weaver. (original) A 4X Leupold will serve you well and they are warrantied for life. If you want a variable, a good 1 3/4x5 will be more than adequate. Leupold makes good ones.
Paul B.
Old July 25, 2000, 05:47 PM   #7
Jay Baker

I'm with Paul B. I've also hunted all over the west for elk and deer, and can't even imagine the number of miles I've ridden on horseback with my rifle in a scabbard. I just went to my safe and put two of my favorite bolt action rifles (Ruger 77 .338, 2x7 Redfield) and a Rem. 725 .280 Rem, 1 1/2 x 5 Burris) in my saddle scabbard (yes, I always take my own, and my own saddlebags). I also believe that the high knobs on a target scope might well be a problem in most saddle scabbards. Outfitters' scabbards are generally not of the highest quality, very generic, and very well used.

I've been fortunate enough to kill quite a few big game animals at varying distances and have never needed any more power than the 2x7.

FWIW. J.B.