The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2002, 11:04 PM   #1
fpotter

Brass jammed in sizer

I thought that I had used enough case lube, but it appears that I was wrong. So what I have now is a empty .223 Rem case stuck in the sizing die. What do I do now--send it back to RCBS? Jump up and down and swear? I tried to pullit out with a vise-grip but succeeded only in screwing up the base even more....

I've been reloading for several years and this is the first time that this has happened, and yes, I feel stupid.

Frank
Old February 17, 2002, 11:14 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Try spraying with WD-40 really thoroughly, and then put it upside down in a plastic bag in the freezer for 24 hours.

Then, pull it out, and warm the die with a blowtorch while pulling on the case head with your vice grips. You have to work fairly quickly before the brass gets too warm.

One thing I've found to be VERY helpful in getting stuck cases out is to thread a large screw eye into the primer pocket. That gives you something big on which to pull.

If you don't get it out the first time around, keep trying. I've yet to find a stuck case that can stand repeated treatments like this.

One I did have to pack the die in dry ice to REALLY get things cold...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 17, 2002, 11:16 PM   #3
Phil in Seattle

Blasted 223s! The only cases I have ever gotten stuck are 223s.

What you need is a stuck case remover.

It's just a drill bit, tap, and a threaded insert that goes into the ram of your press.

You remove the die from your press, drill a hole into the case head via the primer pocket, tap the hole, put the die back into the press, put the insert into the ram in place of your shellholder, screw it into the tapped hole in the case head, and lower the ram.

Presto!

It reads as being much more complicated than it really is.
Old February 18, 2002, 06:30 AM   #4
dick w. holliday

A few of the die manufacturers are making their dies so you can use the decapping stem to push it out by screwing them down with a wrench.....Dillon has for sure and i think Lee will also......Dick