The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 27, 2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Bobby1243

permit comes soon tips anyone?

I get my permit soon anyone got some do's and donts for me other than the laws just things I should no for every day carry thanks
Old June 27, 2013, 10:36 AM   #2
SgtLumpy

Practice shooting.

Look at it as a sport/hobby. Not as a "I've got this concealed gun in case the worst happens. There's a bazillion to one chance that you'll ever need it in a defensive manner. If you treat shooting as a sport/hobby, just like if you ride a bike or play softball, then you'll get familiar with the thing, how it works, what your strong and weak points are, where the bullet goes when you press the trigger.

That and probably don't look to MS magazine for shooting tips.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 27, 2013, 10:41 AM   #3
allaroundhunter

Re: permit comes soon tips anyone?

Don't constantly adjust your pants if you are carrying concealed or even touch the area where your gun is to "make sure it is still there". These are things that will draw the attention of those around you who may otherwise not even take a second look at you.

Get a good belt and a good holster and that gun will stay right where is should be (as will your pants).
Old June 27, 2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Bobby1243

I shoot often almost every day and open carry while on my property so I'm a pretty good shot and I have good belt and holster just wodering about things to watch out for like certant types of chairs hanging on to uour gun or any thing like that
Old June 27, 2013, 01:33 PM   #5
stonewall50

+1 on the good belt and holster. A good strong wide belt is very very important regardless of where you carry the gun (pocket or waist). Experiment too. Find a comfortable spot that you can access. It would help if you let us know what you are using to carry and your preferred methods.

It made a huge deal on where you carry. Have a friend look to see if you print, or use a mirror. Move around and sit and stand and such. Figure out where you can and can't sit or bend. People might freak out if your gun gets exposed. Or maybe you live in the South like me and nobody will care.
Old June 27, 2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

If you're carrying OWB, even if concealed, watch out for chairs with arms. My holsters always want to hang on the arms when I try to squeeze my fat behind in one.

At the store, learn to reach for top shelves with your weak hand. Otherwise, your carry garment might ride up and expose your gun.

Otherwise, just carry around the house for a few days, and you'll figure out what most of carrying in public is like.

Get ready to feel like someone's going to scream "OHMYGODMANWITHAGUN!" at any minute. Don't worry, after a while, you'll figure out that most people wouldn't notice your carry piece unless it's slightly larger than a rhinoceros.

And welcome to TFL!
Old June 27, 2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Bobby1243

Lately have been carrying iwb in a cheap old uncle mikes at about 330 its comfortable for me and hides well but only at home till permit comes
Old June 27, 2013, 10:48 PM   #8
LRChops

Doon't let anyone know you carry a gun. Don't carry it in a manner that it shows shape under your clothes. Only pull it out if you intend on shooting somone. Don't think your a supercop and do something stupid!

Remember most cops are armed off duty and never get into confrontations. They are good witnesses, so be the same!
Old June 27, 2013, 11:29 PM   #9
BarryLee

Try your best to avoid confrontations with people. Remember even mundane things like arguing over a parking space, who was first in line or tailgating can quickly escalate. Then when the argument turns physical you’ll find yourself with some very difficult decisions to make.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 28, 2013, 12:00 AM   #10
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1243
anyone got some do's and donts for me other than the laws just things I should no for every day carry thanks
if you have to undo your belt, don't use stand up urinals in public restrooms.
Old June 28, 2013, 02:31 AM   #11
45Gunner

The most common thing I hear from people carrying for the first time is that are very self conscious and think everyone knows they are carrying a gun. Put your gun on every day just as you do your underwear. Get comfortable with it.
I promise you that you will become comfortable very soon. I always recommend that if you are going to carry, carry all the time. Practice, practice, practice...getting your gun out of your holster. Go to the range on a frequent basis. Clean you gun once a week if you don't get to the range. Guns have a funny habit of collecting dirt and they dislike moisture caused by sweat.
Take your gun out of the holster each night and wipe it down. You can even get excessive like I do and give it a very light coat of oil each night in preparation for the next day. My EDC gun is also my nightstand gun and is always at the ready. Gain the confidence that you know you can use your gun, heaven forbid, that you would ever have to. Remember, carrying a gun is as only good as your mindset. Be sure you have what it takes to pull the trigger on someone, multiple times if necessary, if that time every comes. If in your heart of hearts, you cannot, leave your gun at home because it could just get you in trouble. One last piece of advice...your mission when you carry a gun is protect yourself and your loved ones. Don't try to get involved if a convenience store is being robbed. Most bad guys just want the money and goods and they want out. No need to start a gun fight that could get you and perhaps other people killed for what is probably insured anyways. If the BG is threatening to kill someone or, for example, pistol whipping them, let your conscience be your guide but remember once your gun comes out of its holster, your life will be forever changed.
NRA Life Member
Old June 28, 2013, 08:11 AM   #12
g.willikers

A carry license just satisfies the legal requirements.
There's not much training for a life and death encounter there.
Get real training.
Without it, what would you know to practice?
Chances are, where ever you live, there's a training facility not too far away.
Yeah, they can be expensive and require time out of your life.
But so are hospitals and funerals.
Old June 28, 2013, 10:22 AM   #13
gothcopter

One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was "Don't do anything while carrying that you wouldn't do if you weren't carrying."

In other words, if you're considering that dark alley or walking past those shady characters, don't ever think to yourself "It's ok, I've got my gun." Consider how you'd behave if you didn't have your gun, and then do that.
Old June 28, 2013, 11:07 AM   #14
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Lately have been carrying iwb in a cheap old uncle mikes at about 330 its comfortable for me and hides well but only at home till permit comes
bobby, what are you carrying?
Old June 28, 2013, 12:09 PM   #15
Bobby1243

Rossi 971 4in
Old June 29, 2013, 01:07 AM   #16
myusername

Train train train. By that I mean get training. At the least take some NRA one day courses as you can afford them. There is someone nearly everywhere offering the courses. A longer course at one of the well known schools is great if you have a few grand for it.

Learn SD law - many community colleges offer police science classes, some of those may be helpful. I took a couple a long time ago. I've been watching for something locally.

Practice, practice practice. Until you can hit what you shoot at, until you can shoot and move, shoot while moving, etc. When you feel confident of your abilities you will not only feel better but you will Be better.
Old June 29, 2013, 07:18 PM   #17
Deaf Smith

Well from Roger Miller, the singer, and Water Hole Number 3!

"You don't draw with the stranger
If he's faster than you
You've sung your last ditty
You've kissed your last pretty
And played yer last hand if you do

It's the code of the west
You must honor your neighbor
The code of the west
To your own self be true
The code of the west
You must do unto others
Do unto others before they do it unto you"

Deaf
Old June 30, 2013, 08:10 AM   #18
ClydeFrog

rules of gunfighting.....

There are a few basic rules of gunfighting in the modern US era....
1) Have a gun. It sounds simple but a license or carry permit is not going to protect you or save you in a lethal force event. Carrying a loaded firearm means carrying it on your person & being fully ready or able to deploy it quickly if required.
Cases, bags, sacks, etc are okay for back ups or second guns but always carry a firearm on you if you choose to get a concealed license.
2) Use enough gun. "Mouseguns" or small/pocket size calibers under .380acp are not ideal for full scale defense. They may seem cute or handy but in 2013, they are no serious match to a .40S&W, a .45acp, a .357magnum, a .357sig, 10mm, etc. You can train or learn how to carry a defense caliber pistol or revolver. Your main goal is to stop the threat, not pump round after round of .25acp or .22LR into a violent subject.
3) Learn how to use your gun. Skill training and tactics are a part of a concealed carry plan. There are many books, classes, videos, courses out there. Top programs or instructors are worth the $$$ if you have the time to train. Hollywood cop shows or action films are not real firearms training.

I'd add that you should always use high quality, factory made ammunition for concealed carry or home defense. No reloads or hand loaded ammunition. Keep a round or 2 from the box of your carry ammunition too. You can save it to be able to show your lawyer or legal team how it was made or when the lot left the factory(ballistics T&Es). It may not come up but its better to be prepared if the issue is raised in open court or a LE investigation.
I'd also say that you should buy top quality kit and use well made gear. A cheap holster that breaks in 6 weeks or a magazine holder that falls apart isn't a real value. Don't cut corners. It's your safety or the safety & welfare of your family that's at risk.
Keep your weapons & equipment clean. Check or inspect your weapon each time you get ready to carry it.

Clyde
www.gunvideo.com www.gunlawguide.com www.NRA.org www.gunzilla.us www.mpro7.corm www.sgammo.com www.shopcorbon.com www.midwayusa.com www.paladinpress.com www.jgsales.com
Old June 30, 2013, 09:08 AM   #19
LewSchiller

Quote:
Well from Roger Miller, the singer, and Water Hole Number 3!

"You don't draw with the stranger
If he's faster than you
You've sung your last ditty
You've kissed your last pretty
And played yer last hand if you do

It's the code of the west
You must honor your neighbor
The code of the west
To your own self be true
The code of the west
You must do unto others
Do unto others before they do it unto you"

Deaf
Hey Deaf - thanks for bringing to mind one of the best movies of 1967 :-)
Old June 30, 2013, 11:17 AM   #20
Garycw

I always carry a Kbar on my weak side just incase anyone would try to grab it away from you. But you need to train for this too
Old June 30, 2013, 01:17 PM   #21
ClydeFrog

Ka-Bar? TDI?....

By Ka-Bar do you mean the TDI format designed by a retired LE officer or the USMC combat type?
I'm thinking of buying the large Tanto style TDI knife with serrated edge for security jobs.

It's always handy to have a small knife with you.
Old June 30, 2013, 02:10 PM   #22
Garycw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeFrog View Post
By Ka-Bar do you mean the TDI format designed by a retired LE officer or the USMC combat type?
I'm thinking of buying the large Tanto style TDI knife with serrated edge for security jobs.

It's always handy to have a small knife with you.
Yes, Ka-Bar but I have a small folder for utility. The Kbar is strictly defensive tool. They are sharp enough to shave with and want to keep that way. I got the large and small fixed blade to carry and a folder for the heck of it. I've never carried either fixed and always carry the folder. I like that the clip shows even with jacket, so it can't be considered concealed. CCW in my state is for pistol, knives of that type are a demonized no no. ? Go figure.!
Old July 1, 2013, 02:25 PM   #23
yourang?

know your local/state laws where you can and can not carry

oh fed too

no quick trip to the post office.....it is so easy to forget you are carrying
and pop in to mail a letter......

bar/restaurant laws....although not condoning drinking while carrying
although going to have a sip does not abrogate your second amendment rights

but....much discretion with alcohol, eh?

kids in the house? weapon must be under your control at all times or locked up

hunter/garcia (new speedway boogie)
Old July 1, 2013, 03:32 PM   #24
Bobby1243

No kids yet but thanks for all the help I can't wait for the permit to get here
Old July 1, 2013, 05:49 PM   #25
tmorone

Another + for a good belt and a good holster