The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 25, 2013, 05:17 PM   #26
Jack O'Conner

The mighty 35 Remington has been knocking over big game animals since about 1908. That's over 100 years of success! It's a lethal killer because of very good accuracy and tremendous bullet performance. The 200 grain round nose is designed specifically for this cartridge's velocity and energy. The bullet factories figured out optimal jacket thickness and taper long long ago. No other cartridge shares this bullet. I hunted with an older Remington slide action rifle in 35 back when USAF assigned me to Wurtsmuth AF Base, Michigan. Every deer went down quickly, and stayed down for keeps.

Some compare the 35 Remington to 30-30. But I think its more reasonable to compare it to 300 Savage or .308 performance at typical forest hunting distances.

Good hunting to you.

Jack

Old January 25, 2013, 08:28 PM   #27
steveNChunter

This is all I shoot in mine. Best factory ammo ever made for the .35 rem IMO.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:13 PM   #28
stu925

I bought my Marlin 336 in .35 Rem in October and am absolutely thrilled with it. I haven't loaded any pistol bullets in it yet but intend to try it eventually. I also plan to try cast bullets in it but that's a project for later on down the road. I don't find recoil excessive, although it's not much fun shooting off the bench for sighting in, off hand recoil is negligible for me. I find my Mosin Nagant to be much more punishing with the steel butt plate. I like the older rifles pre cross bolt safety which to me looks out of place on the rifle YMMV. Reasonably priced rifles in .35 Rem can be found here for under $400 but you'll have to shop around for one, they may be harder to come by in your area. I have absolute confidence in the rifle/cartridge combo out to 200yds. I sure with appropriate ammo you could reach out further but with iron sights I'm not sure I could and alas I have no where locally to practice such shots so I wouldn't attempt it.

Stu
Old January 26, 2013, 04:34 PM   #29
dgludwig

Quote:
I hunted with an older Remington slide action rifle in 35 back when USAF assigned me to Wurtsmuth AF Base, Michigan. Every deer went down quickly, and stayed down for keeps.
Hey, Jack, I found your comments especially interesting in that I killed my first deer in 1964 while also stationed at the Wurtsmith SAC base, just outside of Oscoda, Michigan. I used a Winchester Model 100 rifle, chambered in .308, to get my whitetail.
As you no doubt know, the base has been gone now for a couple of decades or so. I still get back a couple of times a year to fish for smallmouths and northerns in the Au Sable River "ponds" (I often camp there at the Old Orchard park) and to salmon fish in Lake Huron, out of the marina in Oscoda. Much has changed over the last fifty years...
Old January 26, 2013, 06:53 PM   #30
HiBC

I have never owned a 35 Rem,but by reputation .ordinarily,I would support it as a very good choice for a deer hunting round.

There were some other factors that seemed important to you that stand out to me.

You want occasional capability for 300 yd shots.

You want the ammo to be readily available.

You want the option to download/subload with handgun bullets.

I can fit the .308 to all of your parameters pretty darn well.From 32 acp,30 Luger,30 carbine,a raft of cast bullet options,and rifle bullets from 110 gr on up...Do what makes you happy,its an option.
Old January 27, 2013, 11:00 AM   #31
stu925

I would agree that the .308 Win would be a better choice for 300yd shots, but if it's not a common thing the better option might be to try to get a little closer. With the new Hornady Leverevolution ammo a 300yd shot now becomes a possibility but you will definitely need to practice those shots before you shoot at a critter. At shots 200yds and under the .35 Rem should drop them in their tracks.

Stu
Old January 29, 2013, 09:53 PM   #32
skeety7

35 Rem

Great caliber at 100 to 150 yds. Super woods gun for deer. I have whacked a lot of deer with my 7600 in 35.
Old February 1, 2013, 07:07 AM   #33
LSnSC

Mr O'Conner is dead on. The 336 in .35 is a hammer in the deer woods. Ive been blessed to be able to kill alot of deer with alot of different calibers. The old .35 Remington does as good as any and better than most at typical deer hunting ranges. The 200 grain round nose and FTX loads have put every deer and hog Ive shot with them, down hard.