The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 7, 2012, 08:40 PM   #1
AgentCircus

First Steps: Just purchased an M9A1

Hello all. I just purchased my first gun (Beretta M9A1), and will be picking it up next Saturday. Hopefully you guys can answer some questions:

1. CLEANING/MAINTENANCE.
What type of cleaning kit/supplies should I get? I've been looking at the Hoppe's basic cleaning kit that includes solvent, lubricant, and a wire brush. I also read about their bore snake, which looks like a simple cleaning solution. Should I just get this instead?

2. CHECKING EVERYTHING OUT BEFORE I TAKE DELIVERY.
The salesman at the gun store said that when I pick up the weapon, I need to check and make sure everything is good to go. Their policy is that once the pistol leaves the store, any issues have to be dealt with by Beretta. What am I looking for here? Do I just do a function check? They were completely sold out, so I am buying the display model - it's still new, but I don't know if there are some things to be wary of. I'm fairly new to this.

3. GENERAL NEW GUN OWNER STUFF.
Is there anything else, as a new gun owner, I should do or be aware of? Already started looking for a range bag, eye pro, and hearing pro. Any other essentials I need, whether it's in the form of must-have accessories or even a class suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old December 8, 2012, 01:01 AM   #2
BarryLee

Cleaning: Yes, a basic kit is a great place to start. Most people end up with their own preferred cleaning procedure, but just start off following the manufacturer's instructions and go from there.

Check: Without firing the gun all you can really do is look for any obvious signs of damage or wear. Make sure all the hardware on the gun seems tight and don’t forget to be sure you get the box, magazines, manuals, warranty card etc.'

General: Consider where and how you will store the gun when it is not on your person. What issues might you have to consider for instance children, elderly, curious guest or thieves. A training class is great especially if you have limited or no real experience. Then simply buy a bunch of practice ammo like Winchester White Box and shoot the heck out of the thing.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 8, 2012, 06:29 AM   #3
AndyWest

Excellent choice on a first gun, you'll love it. Adding my (mostly redundant) thoughts to Barry's:

Cleaning: The Hoppe's kit you describe sounds perfect. Hoppe's is a respected brand. Don't bother with a bore snake or other fancy crap for now. And follow the manual.

Check: I have nothing to add to what Barry said.

General: You'll definitely want to buy your own eye and ear protection. I wear glasses so I can't advise on eyes. Ear protection is very cheap and very important, pick up a basic pair at your local sporting goods store for maybe $20 in the hunting section.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:10 PM   #4
AgentCircus

Thanks for the replies. As far as the inspection: I heard dry-firing a Beretta is bad, but wouldn't I want to do a function check before leaving the store?
Old December 8, 2012, 07:28 PM   #5
TailGator

Quote:
I heard dry-firing a Beretta is bad, but wouldn't I want to do a function check before leaving the store?
The 92/M9 is a pretty rugged beast in spite of its elegant looks. You aren't going to hurt it by dry firing a couple of times in the store. A set of snap caps is cheap insurance if you are going to sit at home and dry fire hundreds of times, but don't sweat the function check.

Fine pistol at a moderate price. I love my 92FS, and I'll bet you love your M9, too.
Old December 9, 2012, 12:00 AM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

At the very least, I'd suggest finding an NRA Basic Pistol class in your area. You'll be surprised by how much you don't know, and such knowledge is liberating. Furthermore, you'll be building good habits from the outset, instead of having to correct bad ones later.

The Beretta is a great first gun.
Old December 9, 2012, 12:26 AM   #7
EdInk

Review the 4 Basic Rules
Old December 9, 2012, 06:47 AM   #8
fireman1291

Looks like your questions were answered with solid advice!

You picked a great firearm as your first...never sell your first!
Old December 9, 2012, 01:06 PM   #9
AgentCircus

Thanks! I already signed up for a class for next Sunday. Can't wait!
Old December 9, 2012, 07:03 PM   #10
'88Scrat

Its been said already (seveal times in fact) but good choice. My 9mm is also an M9A1.

If memory serves M9A1s are leftovers from a Marine Corp contract (someone correct me on this if I'm worng, this is what I was told) which could explain why the ones I've seen seem to be slightly cheaper than a commercial (Italian made) 92FS. It is slightly different from other Beretta 9mms. It differs from the 92FS in that it has a beveled mag well and has a rail from the factory. They also come with those fancy coated magazines.

Mine has several thousand rounds through it and has not malfunctioned in any way, shape, or form. Congrats on a solid firearm.
Old December 9, 2012, 09:54 PM   #11
AgentCircus

Thanks! Mine was $29 more than the 92FS (both on sale at Turner's). Actually, I went in there looking to buy the 92FS until I realized that the M9A1 was on sale. Unfortunately, I live in California for the time being though so I don't think I'll be getting the sand-resistant magazines.
Old December 10, 2012, 12:15 PM   #12
Noreaster

Great purchase. For cleaning kits I don't like the solid rod. I'd go with a bore snake or otis and a tooth brush, cleaning patches and solvent/oil. I like to use Hoppe's solvent and a decent oil or lube. You could always go with CLP for both. Just remember to properly lube that gun. The owner's manual will show you where to do it but it's needs lube.

Buy some ammo and eye/ear protection and go shoot.