The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 14, 2012, 01:13 PM   #1
FC-Fan

Schweden-Mauser M38

After three months absence caused by the barrel change my swedish rifle is back now with a new barrel from Lothar-Walter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schweden-Mauser M38 001.jpg (239.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg Schweden-Mauser M38 002.jpg (229.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Schweden-Mauser M38 004.jpg (229.9 KB, 78 views)
Old November 14, 2012, 05:44 PM   #2
10-96

Looks like it turned out and came back really well. Nice looking rifle- I'd kinda forgot I have one (1908) of those that needs some quality time spent with it.
Thanks for the post and photos.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 14, 2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Ozzieman

Nice, if you don’t mind me asking, how much?
10-96>> I like your lower comment on the 45 LONG COLT. The next time someone jumps on you (and me) show them the following photo.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old November 15, 2012, 08:20 AM   #4
Baba Louie

A 1900 Obie? Sweet little 96/38 FC-Fan. Kind of rare as well.

How does it shoot now? I'm betting, superbly.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old November 15, 2012, 01:12 PM   #5
FC-Fan

I had to pay 590 € (about 750 $)for the change of the barrel. Economically speaking madness but it was my first large caliber rifle. And Lothar Walther produces one of the best barrels here in Germany.
At the moment i still do not know how it shoots but on saturday it want to try it
Old November 15, 2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Baba Louie

Range Report! Range Report, when you can FC.

Might shoot high at 100yds/Ms, as I think the original sights were zero'd for 300. (yds or meters dunno, but should be similar no matter measuring stick). You do know the Swedish Mausers in 6.5SE were and are known to be quite accurate. I'd expect no less with the new barrel.

Do let us know please.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old November 15, 2012, 08:15 PM   #7
Ozzieman

Economically speaking madness

Economics has nothing to do with hobbies and this is sure true for guns.
I have a S&W Model 28 made into a 44 Special with a Douglas barrel of 3 inches and several other mods.
The gun cost me (in the 80’s) 300$ the entire work by a very good gunsmith was another 400$
700$ In 80’s money is something like $100,000,000 in today’s money.
If it make you happy and shoots well (I hope so) who cares about the price.
Nice gun you have.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 18, 2012, 05:33 AM   #8
FC-Fan

The best result yesterday was about 5 cm at 100 m over the open sights.
My vision has deteriorated due to age. I`ll probably still have to mount a scope.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:21 AM   #9
Baba Louie

Quote:
My vision has deteriorated due to age. I`ll probably still have to mount a scope.
5 cm @ 100m's? Muahaha. My old eyes should be so lucky. Good shooting methinks FC. Nothing wrong w/ 2MOA on your initial outing, borderline superb actually. What results were you expecting with open, ancient sights? <MOA? (blame the wind, always works for me)

Bench, from a rest, prone, sitting, etc? Please don't tell me off hand, please. Actually that'd be a feat unto itself and I'd love to hear you say Ja, standing, no sling...

How many rounds? Handloads or factory fodder?

I mean, it IS a 112 year old rifle (except the barrel and you gotta break that in properly)... right?
Old November 18, 2012, 12:05 PM   #10
FC-Fan

Of course:lying free hand with the sling. I shot about 40 rounds factory ammo from S&B 140grain. I always shoot freehand exept my tikka with scope.Aktually i had expected about 3 cm. That does not seem arrogant, i just have to shoot freehand on competitions.
Next time i will try Norma-Ammo. Maybe thats the better choice for the rifle.
Old November 21, 2012, 10:11 AM   #11
Slamfire

Nice rifle! Looks great and all original.

This is what I did with a M1896, Swedish Ball, and a factory barrel. You are shooting well inside this group.

Excellent shooting.

Old November 21, 2012, 03:02 PM   #12
Chainsawjames

beautiful...
Old December 1, 2012, 11:58 AM   #13
FC-Fan

Today i started a new experiment with new ammo from Top-Shot (a private label from frankonia, germany produced by norma). 130 gr. HPBT-Bullet. An lo and behold the was in maximum in diameter 3 cm.
A good day on the range

Last edited by FC-Fan; December 1, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old December 1, 2012, 03:06 PM   #14
Baba Louie

Quote:
A good day on the range
Yessir, sounds like it was a pretty fine day at the range.

3 cm. Holy Crap

That boy can shoot a little, eh? Excellent sir, my hat's off to you.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:30 PM   #15
Jimro

FC Fan,

Do you shoot with a Swede issue sling? Or an aftermarket sling.

Jimro
Old December 2, 2012, 04:20 AM   #16
FC-Fan

Hi Jimro!

I always shoot with the original sling which is mounted on the gun since i bought it in 1987. You can see the sling on the fotos above.
The same i do with my K31 where the original W+F-Diopter is mounted.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:16 AM   #17
Jimro

Nice! I bought some milsurp slings for my Swedes, but I haven't been to the range to use them yet. Do you use a "Hasty Sling" setup?

Jimro
Old December 2, 2012, 09:44 AM   #18
FC-Fan

Ups, i dont know what a hasty sling is. I use the original sling wrapped around the upper arm.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:57 AM   #19
Baba Louie

Quote:
...dont know what a hasty sling is. I use the original sling wrapped around the upper arm.
Probably the same thing as I understand things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib8OeQdwFEY
Old December 2, 2012, 10:51 AM   #20
FC-Fan

Thanks Baba Louie!

That´s how i meant it how do i use the sling. And now i know what a "hasty-sling" is