The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 1, 2010, 03:39 PM   #26
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Yes,Don. After ensuring the gun is unloaded, close the action. Drop a dowel down the bore so that it rests on the breech face and mark the dowel at the muzzle. Remove and measure.

18" measured this way's legal according to BATFE. Anything less is not.

HTH....
Old January 1, 2010, 05:37 PM   #27
PetahW

AFAIK, the Stevens 311 has never been available as a regular/catalog item with barrels shorter than 26", in any gauge ( I have catalogs listing then as far back as 1929)

Old January 3, 2010, 10:39 PM   #28
b.thomas

Ever notice that all the factory barrels measure 18.5 inches rather then the legal 18"?
That's because of some fed's tape measure might be a little bit off when measuring..........so the gun makers add a 1/2"................ "just in case".
Old January 3, 2010, 11:08 PM   #29
Big Bill

Quote:
I just recently aquired a Stevens model 311 series H SxS shotgun 18 1/8 inch barrel.....Stamp on the side reciever (serial # I guess) is D324xxx. Can anyone tell me what I have? I think it might be sawed off but not sure.
Where did you get the gun? Did you buy it at a gunstore or from an individual? A legit gun store would not sell an illegal gun.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old January 4, 2010, 01:27 AM   #30
Willie Lowman

Quote:
A legit gun store would not sell an illegal gun.
Keep telling yourself that. I have seen several illegal things in gunshops. You don't need to know much about law or even guns for that matter to work in a gun store. Just how to work the cash box and call in back ground checks.
Old January 4, 2010, 09:18 AM   #31
troy_mclure

ive got a stevens/springfeild 311.

my dad bought it +/-30yrs ago. he used it for duck till the steel cracked the barrel.

it was sawed off to 18.5" and a bead soldered on, it sat in the closet for years till i found it.

i fixed the cracked stocks(from double triggering slugs), and used it for squirrel, deer, jump shooting duck, and now home defence.

its a really nimble gun and the patterns open fast.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 4, 2010, 10:31 AM   #32
Tommy Vercetti

[QUOTE][I was more curious as to whether this shotgun was sawed off or original. /QUOTE]

I have the Savage version and according to them my version which has the same barrel length is factory, they called it a "Riot Version"