The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 28, 2009, 08:29 PM   #1
Big Bill

870 loading problem

My new 870 express synthetic is supposed to accept 6+1. I can load 6+1 2-3/4" birdshot, but not 2-3/4" 00 buckshot even though the cartridges look identical in size.

Has anyone else had this problem? The gun is brand new and I called Remington. They're sending me a new magazine spring.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr

Last edited by Big Bill; December 28, 2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old December 28, 2009, 08:35 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Since shell length is based on fired length, it varies brand to brand for unfired length...
Likely the issue.
Brent
Old December 28, 2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Big Bill

Brent - the 00 buck is federal ammo. I compaired it size for size with the birdshot and it is identical except that the birdshot is low brass and the buckshot is high brass. But, overall the cartridges are the same dimensions.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old December 28, 2009, 08:49 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

well since pysics weren't my strong suit, I can't offer more for ya... Seems they should work if length is same. Brass length shouldn't matter at all.
Brent
Old December 28, 2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Big Bill

That's my thinking Brent. I'm baffled.
Old December 28, 2009, 10:02 PM   #6
zippy13

Big Bill,
Just out of curiosity, have you compared the loaded length of your Federal 00s to Remington's 00 offering? After all, it's a Remington gun, and if you can get 6+1 with the Rem 00 loads, then your problem is with Fed, not your gun. Just a something to think about.
Old December 28, 2009, 10:13 PM   #7
Big Bill

I can get 6+1 Federal Multi-Purpose Loads that are 2 3/4" in the gun just fine. They are the same dimensions as the Federal 00 buckshot that I can only get 5+1 in the gun.

So, I'll probably buy a box of Remington 00 buckshot in 2 3/4" and test them. Thanks for the idea.