The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 20, 2007, 05:01 PM   #1
Harry Bonar

Hawken Help

Sirs:
Am building my first 54 cal. Hawken full stock Hawken. Cherry stock. Can someone show me a picture of an original so I know where to put furniture?
The bbl. is inletted, the lock, the set triggers and the butt-plate. I don't know how many or where to put the bbl. retaining keys - can someone come up with a picture?
Harry B.
Thanks much.
Old October 20, 2007, 06:13 PM   #2
rgates

My Father-In-Law built his own Hawken some years ago. Literally from scratch. Hand cut and carved stock, hand hammered brass and all. He was a real perfectionist who wanted it exactly like the original. He got a lot of help from the Smithsonian. Blue prints, pictures and as I recall even x-rays of an original.

He also went to The Hawken Shop in St.Louis but they have a wab page, pictures on line aren't very good but maybe you can call them for help.

www.thehawkenshop.com
Old October 20, 2007, 06:26 PM   #3
rgates

By the way , when you do giterdone. Don't load her up first shot with 120 gr or more of powder. She'll kick plenty with about 80. Actually he uses about 80gr. for most spot shoots, says it's more accurate. Uses about 100- 110 for hunting. I watched him site it in once using I think 120 gr. and it would jar his false teeth loose. I passed. He had trouble with the original stock length being too short length of pull so he used some real thin cardboard to wrap the end of the butt stock for a form, greased up the buttplate and wood, filled it in with silicon. Once it set up he had a custom fit filler to go into a slip on recoil pad. Perfect for spot shoots and slip it back off for display and it's still original.
Old October 20, 2007, 08:15 PM   #4
lonewolf5348

hawken

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(20l...5))/index.aspx
Old October 20, 2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Hawg

This is an original fullstock that was converted to percussion. Not the best pic but you can tell the placement of the barrel wedges and ramrod thimbles.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fu...hp?pid/439702/
Old October 21, 2007, 04:41 PM   #6
Harry Bonar

hawken

Sir:
Thanks much guys! I usually use two screws on each lug - you know what they look like.
Harry B.