The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2017, 01:30 PM   #1
hubcap500

40SW case variation

I did a random weight check on my 40SW brass (assorted headstamps). It was cleaned and unprimed--just the brass. I checked the case length and they were all the same, but as much as 10.5 grains difference!!! Is that too much? I don't usually sort handgun brass, but should I?
Old February 25, 2017, 01:51 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Some brands are a bit thicker than others. Some are a slightly different alloy. Doesn't make any difference.
Old February 25, 2017, 02:45 PM   #3
ShootistPRS

If all the cases are the same dimensions on the outside then a 10.5 grain difference in weight reflects a change in the internal capacity equivalent to 1.25 grains of powder. I don't load 40 caliber but if the load you are using is close to maximum pressure and close to filling the case you could experience a spike in pressures.

It's probably not a big deal as far as close range accuracy is concerned but the heaviest cases might produce pressures that are harder on the gun.
Old February 26, 2017, 09:00 PM   #4
rodfac

For defensive range practice, I do not sort by head stamp. For working up loads where I'm looking for precision, I use the same heads stamp, and keep 50 round boxes of the same lot number separate from my other brass. For gilt edge accuracy, bullseye competition type loads, I use once fired brass, same lot number and measured for length. And yes, it does make a difference out at 25 & 50 yds. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 27, 2017, 12:19 AM   #5
BigJimP

No, don't bother sorting....the weight of the case does not matter...and it will not effect the quality of your finished cartridge in my experience.

Follow published recipes and you will be fine.
Old March 1, 2017, 07:05 PM   #6
zeke

Saying the brand of case makes no difference is simply flat out wrong, especially in 40 s&w using jacketed bullets at anything approaching full bore loads. Rem 40 brass is thin and less ductile. Combine that with a slightly undersized lighter jacketed bullet, and bullet setback can result in mags blowing out the bottom of pistol.
Old March 1, 2017, 08:01 PM   #7
SauerGrapes

I sort my brass since it does vary by head stamp. Especially when loading plated bullets. I want the same crimp, whether it's taper or roll crimp.
I'm sure I'm just anal about things.

R.I.P.____Murphy