The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2015, 11:49 PM   #1
motard

ftx hornady brass, crimping another way

So I am in the process of reloading about one hundred leverevolution 45-70 brass. This stuff is way shorter than sami specs, about 2-3mm less, and while normal RCBS dies can manage decapping, reforming and seating, it appears impossible to crimp. I have partially solved the problem shortnening 2,5 mm the seater-crimper dies, and rechamfering it's base. So I can appply a steady roller crimp. Problem appear with the Lee Factory Crimp Die that doesn't rely on trhrding for whorking but only on the lenght of the internal tube. I could shorten it too but, then it would'nt whork with Starline or other common brass that I have.
My idea was to crimp, head down. Inserting the bullet from the top of the press untill the collar reach the crimping pliers of the die, and then pushing the lever and the empty shell'older up to activate the die. It works quite whell but to speed up the process I need to make me a short tube, or a inverted L shape bar, wher hanghing the bullett so to have always the correct lengh inserted in the dies.
what you think about
Ps: I know Lee FC is all but expensive but here in Italy I had to whait long time to find one, and it cost twaice or tree time as in Us
Old June 5, 2015, 11:38 AM   #2
skizzums

I don't have your specific caliber. But my lee FCDs cand be set for whatever length brass I was, to a point. But the leverolution is never problematic for crimping. Hopefully someone else can speak to your exact caliber