The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 15, 2014, 11:31 PM   #176
LockedBreech

Did you guys see the new R51 pics at The Firearm Blog? I don't know if I'm allowed to link directly, but it looks really, really sweet!
Old January 16, 2014, 01:26 AM   #177
tahunua001

if you are refering to the pander peice, that is part of the OP.

if you are refering to the crimson trace threaded barrel pics... interesting but kindof negates the point of owning a subcompact...
Old January 16, 2014, 01:30 AM   #178
LockedBreech

Yeah, the new piece posted today with the CT grips and threaded barrel. Neither feature interests me but there are some nice new shots of the pistol.

I admit to being kinda smitten with the R51. If it ends up running well I will buy one for sure. I hope they make one with a stainless slide.
Old January 16, 2014, 10:48 PM   #179
Yung.gunr

I am really liking everything I am seeing about this new one. The bore axis looks remarkably low, I like the styling and being metal frame and it looks a lot less snag prone. I recently switched from pocket carry to IWB for 99% of the time with a Taurus PT709. It is nice and I really like it. But I'm thinking it will find its way out after the bugs get worked out of this new Remington.
Old January 16, 2014, 11:21 PM   #180
Kirby8604

Since shot show started I've seen 2 articles that listed a $420 MSRP for the R51. What's up with the $40 hike since it was leaked? I'm not as interested as I was under $400, and I may wait until the bugs are worked out instead of grabbing the first one I can get my hands on.
Old January 16, 2014, 11:29 PM   #181
Kirby8604

Sweet! Remington has announced a new handgun...

Here are the 2 articles I've found since it was officially released at shot show

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...remington-r51/

http://o.dailycaller.com/all/2014-01...arket-with-r51

Video from Remington

http://www.1911r1.com/pages/Support/model-r51-video
Old January 16, 2014, 11:41 PM   #182
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Since shot show started I've seen 2 articles that listed a $420 MSRP for the R51.
Bear in mind there's often a big difference between MSRP and actual street price, especially in competitive markets.

That video has way too much tactical 0p3rator going on. This isn't really a gun for the run-and-gun crowd.
Old January 17, 2014, 07:22 AM   #183
K31Scout

I think I'm going to like this pistol. But, I've seen the silhouette images of the R51 vs the XDS and the Shield and watching people handle the R51; it looks bigger than what the silhouette images portray, in real peoples hands. I'll jump on the bandwagon after it's released.
Old January 17, 2014, 07:53 AM   #184
spanishjames

The video also demonstrates "the lightest slide racking force in it's class". The guy racked the slide with one hand on the slide, and one finger on the grip. Lots of people, women especially, will appreciate that feature. I'm thinking there will be "Shield-like" demand when it comes out, which might drive the price up initially.
Old January 17, 2014, 02:57 PM   #185
Bart Noir

If the R51 prices are too high at first, that's OK.

I can spend my money on the new 4-inch 9mm XD-S

Bart Noir
Who really wants to see and hold that Remington
Old January 17, 2014, 08:34 PM   #186
chris in va

I have to admit, if this gun is reliable I may have to sell my Kahr K9. Would be nice to shoot lead out of it, something I can't do in my K9. The fixed barrel really interests me, and after watching a video of it being fired, I was shocked how little muzzle flip it has. Almost looks like a movie gun firing blanks.
Old January 17, 2014, 08:36 PM   #187
Sparks1957

Definitely looking forward to the arrival of mine. The more I learn about this design, the more intrigued I am. Pedersen was held in high regard by JM Browning, and I'm not as worried about this being a "new" design as I might be otherwise.
Old January 19, 2014, 08:38 AM   #188
Mike Irwin
Staff

Maybe the initial MSRP report was wrong?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 19, 2014, 01:04 PM   #189
pelo801

Quote:
Maybe the initial MSRP report was wrong?
I'm thinking so. I've asked a couple dealers around here and they've all claimed $429 as MSRP. One even told me his price was $320.
Old January 20, 2014, 07:44 AM   #190
TBT

MAC over at the Bang Switch posted a scathing review a couple of days ago. I was really pumping myself up for one of these but this has tempered my expectations some.

http://www.thebangswitch.com/remington-r51-over-hyped/
Old January 20, 2014, 08:52 AM   #191
jimbob86

Someone over at the The Bang Switch, in Comments, asked:

Quote:

OldYeller-

I don't understand why it has a grip safety at all. That just doesn't make sense to me unless they were looking to lawyer it up for sale in certain states. ???
Maybe because it's a SAO gun without a manual safety? Some kind of safety strikes me as a good idea ......

Quote:
And, of course, as noted above, the flatter front of the sight gives a "ledge" upon which to catch and engage the slide if forced to do it with one hand...
I see that Dan Wesson is offering "Ledge" night sights on several "carry" models ..... I think these will eventually be the standard, and someday people will look at today's "low profile" sights the way they look at the tall reverse slope front sights and adjustable Bo-Mars from the late 80's- early 90's .....
Old January 20, 2014, 08:56 AM   #192
TBT

I usually read the comments for comedic relief but forgot to this time.

Yeah, if it's single action I kind of like having a safety on the gun...
Old January 20, 2014, 09:04 AM   #193
AK103K

While I really dont see the point to the grip safeties, they do seem to work fine on the originals. Then again, most things seem to work fine sans a manual safety, if you keep your finger off the trigger.

I guess if youre lack of manual safety phobic, something else might be a better choice.
Old January 20, 2014, 10:07 AM   #194
Fishbed77

Funny how no one ever complains about the grip safety of the 1911.

Especially considering it wasn't part of John Browning's original design.
Old January 20, 2014, 10:14 AM   #195
Mike Irwin
Staff

I just read MAC's review from Bang Site, and I wouldn't really call it scathing... more tentative and indicative of his personal style and likes than anything else.

As he notes, he's a polymer guy. OK, I'm not. I prefer my guns metal.

His comment about the safety, though, is one thing that has been in the back of my mind, as well. I don't view it as a killer, but it is something that I'm going to look at closely before I decide to buy one of these.

The comment about the machine marks inside the slide is, for me, a huge so what.

If there's one thing that the Soviets (should) have taught us is that functionality beats finish every day. I suspect (and hope) that that is what Remington was going for here, finishing the gun where it needs to be finished, and not stressing the finish where it makes absolutely no difference.

Yes, a mirror-smooth polish, followed by a Colt's-style royal blue is certain preferable, but it's also EXPENSIVE.

Finally, the trigger and action being gritty. Hard to say whether that's going to be an issue with production guns, or whether it was just a dirty, under lubricated gun.

It is very interesting, though, that Remington didn't have the R51 at the media day event, especially given that they're supposedly so close to product release (February, IIRC).

That makes me wonder what's going on...

Old January 20, 2014, 10:20 AM   #196
DealHunter

I'm interested in handling one to see the actual size of it. Seems it may not appear as small as I first thought when looking at overlays but you can't really tell without holding one in person...

http://www.triangletactical.net/2014...s-are-correct/

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2014/01/17/...han-you-think/
Old January 20, 2014, 10:23 AM   #197
Mike Irwin
Staff

Hum...

Now this is very interesting...

Still not a killer for me, but if true (and by appearances it does make one wonder) it makes me wonder what else Remington is glossing...

Old January 20, 2014, 11:44 AM   #198
TBT

I'm kind of hoping that it's bigger...

Ideally I like a 4" barrel as I have no interest what so ever in pocket carry.

I really like the looks of this thing... I'm holding out hope.
Old January 20, 2014, 12:31 PM   #199
LockedBreech

While I'm certainly not going to beta test the R51, I doubt the machining mark issue is going to amount to anything.

I don't mind a grip safety as long as it's unobtrusive. I'll have to feel one before I buy.
Old January 20, 2014, 01:32 PM   #200
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
MAC over at the Bang Switch posted a scathing review a couple of days ago.
Yes, but this is coming from someone who hasn't actually shot the gun. Jeff Quinn and several of the folks at Gunsite have, and they were very complementary.

No, it's not an ultra-lightweight, 48-round polymer ninja gun. Those expecting such will be disappointed and look for reasons to denigrate it.