The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2013, 11:49 AM   #1
hhamade

brass cleaning?

How many pieces of brass do you usually clean in your tumbler at once? I asking more of for a range, not specifics. Reason I'm asking is I have about a Quart ziploc bag full of brass, and wanted to know if I would basicly be wasting media to clean that small amount. < Maybe 30 pieces of brass >
Old January 21, 2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

As long as you clean it for the same amount of time, it shouldn't use the polish up out of proportion to the number of cases. However, every time you run the tumbler it will tend to gradually round the corners of the media, making it a bit less sharp. As a result, you may lose cleaning speed over a smaller number of total cases cleaned if you clean small batches routinely.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 21, 2013, 12:44 PM   #3
xLPlushy

For pistol cases I normally run 300-400 at a time thru green corn cob. Rifle, only 20-30 at a time because that's how much I shoot for load testing.

Tapatalked via my highly abused iPhone
Old January 21, 2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Gunnutfn49

I built a sound reducing box, so I try and run my tumbler at capacity all the time, over night and while at work.

The box is constructed out of one of those 30 gallon buckets and lids (7 bucks) from Lowes and glued some chair cushion inserts (purchased for about 20 bucks) along the sides and lid to reduce the sound. (this is important for the wife, child and nearby neighbors). I cut a hole in the back of the bucket so that the cord can exit and not degrade sound muffling. Works pretty well. (This is determined by spousal complaints decreasing about 90% on the reloading subject! SUCCESS!!!)

I have a Cabelas tumbler can hold about 300 40S&W brass and approximately 100 223 brass.

...What he meant to add was, "unless, of course, all responsible citizens are armed to the teeth."
Old January 21, 2013, 09:19 PM   #5
hhamade

thanks guys. I think I will hold off on the tumbling until after a couple range trips to accumulate a good bit of brass. That way I can clean in larger batches.
Another question on the same topic though. What is the difference in the 3 differant color media's? Are they for different brass?
Old January 21, 2013, 09:30 PM   #6
chris in va

Some polish better, some clean better. I like crushed walnut.
Old January 22, 2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Dondor

Yes, crushed walnut from the pet store.