The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 19, 2011, 11:23 AM   #51
DRice.72

This is cool! I can't wait to get into the woods and post!
Old October 19, 2011, 12:17 PM   #52
rickyrick

Sticky thread this
Old October 19, 2011, 01:05 PM   #53
FrontSight

Most excellent thread. I have updated friends live through text messaging, but never a thread on the net...very cool!
Old October 19, 2011, 03:27 PM   #54
Saltydog235

How many of you take your phone into the stand with you? Obviously some do, I leave mine in the truck. That's my get away from all of the stresses of every day and a solid week of being on the phone or in the office.
Old October 19, 2011, 03:31 PM   #55
rickyrick

I take it out in case of emergency or to snap a cool picture, or to surf the web(pigs work the graveyard-graveyard shift here) or to occasionally use the gps.
Old October 19, 2011, 03:34 PM   #56
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
How many of you take your phone into the stand with you? Obviously some do, I leave mine in the truck. That's my get away from all of the stresses of every day and a solid week of being on the phone or in the office.
I take it in with me because I use it to communicate and even track the location of my hunting party.
Plus, it's fun to get pictures of deer that I'm not shooting and if I get bored I can surf the net.
I can certainly live without 24hr web access, but my phone serves as my GPS, two way radio and, God forbid, emergency communication.
Old October 19, 2011, 05:37 PM   #57
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I take it in with me because I use it to communicate and even track the location of my hunting party.
Plus, it's fun to get pictures of deer that I'm not shooting and if I get bored I can surf the net.
I can certainly live without 24hr web access, but my phone serves as my GPS, two way radio and, God forbid, emergency communication.
In areas where my phone works, I keep it on me.
In areas where I might be able to just get an emergency signal out, should the unthinkable happen... I keep it on me (in "airplane mode").

However, most of the areas I hunt require a drive to get to a signal. In those places, it stays in the truck (or in camp). If we're in the mountains for a longer hunt (5-9 days), we'll drive out far enough to get a signal every few days, to update the family. Most years, that's 6-8 miles on "jeep trails", and 45 minutes to 2 hours, each way (depending on road conditions).

This year, we were in a different area for our Elk, hunt, though. It's a muddy, rocky, 13 mile drive, to get a single network roaming signal, that will barely get a text message out (and, often, isn't enough to receive a text message). It's another 28 miles to get a digital signal, or a roaming signal capable of a voice call (depending on your carrier).

I'd love to do the "Live from the Stand" type of approach. ...but mine would have a 48 to 72 hour delay.
Old October 19, 2011, 05:48 PM   #58
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

^^^^
Ah... Wilderness. I have heard of such things.

My hunting is rarely farther than a few hundred yards from a paved road and an awful lot of it is well within sight of a commercial airport. I can easily be lulled to sleep by traffic and aircraft.

On the other hand, the deer are a virtual infestation, so it has it's benefits too.
Old October 19, 2011, 06:03 PM   #59
bswiv

Like this thread.........

Sense Louann and I are CHEAP!!!......we have the most basic PREPAID trac-phones we can get. We do carry them to the woods but often find that we are out of range of a tower.

For pictures we carry a camera.

Have a GPS but only use it occasionally.

Made the mistake of teaching her to use a compas.......now I can't even lose her in the woods.

For those of you with the technology.......keep posting.
Old October 19, 2011, 06:11 PM   #60
rickyrick

Most of my posts come from my phone, which leads to some misunderstandings, but I work in more remote areas than I hunt and still get a good signal
Old October 19, 2011, 08:34 PM   #61
oneounceload

Quote:
In areas where my phone works, I keep it on me.
In areas where I might be able to just get an emergency signal out, should the unthinkable happen... I keep it on me (in "airplane mode").

However, most of the areas I hunt require a drive to get to a signal. In those places, it stays in the truck (or in camp). If we're in the mountains for a longer hunt (5-9 days), we'll drive out far enough to get a signal every few days, to update the family. Most years, that's 6-8 miles on "jeep trails", and 45 minutes to 2 hours, each way (depending on road conditions).
I remember those types of areas in northern NV as well. Our local sportsman's club raised money so the NDOW wardens could get satellite phones for their trucks since they had to cover 10,000 square miles and most of it has no phone signal anywhere - even their radios had issues in certain parts. Today they have those devices - might be worth looking into for your remote hunts
Old October 19, 2011, 08:57 PM   #62
shortwave

Excellent thread peetza.

I can't even get cell phone reception at my house let alone the areas I hunt.

Sorry for the lose of your buck.

You shot your buck in the evening. How soon after the shot did you come out of your stand and start trailing?

Again, really enjoy the thread and keep " LIVE from the stand" coming.
Old October 19, 2011, 09:30 PM   #63
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I climbed down after about 15 minutes and went to check the arrow. I waited about another 15 minutes (packing my gear) before tracking about 50 yards, which was easy. After 50 yards, I decided the blood didn't look like he was going to be dead over the next log, so I waited for my uncle, which was about another hour, before tracking farther.

I'm glad you guys like the thread but I can't take credit for the idea. It has been done over on Archery Talk for a couple years, I guess. I ran across it last week and decided TFL needed one too.

I'm going to sleep now... I'll be "LIVE, from the stand!" at 645am.
Old October 20, 2011, 07:00 AM   #64
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Live from the stand delayed due to thunderstorms....
Old October 20, 2011, 11:57 AM   #65
rickyrick

Live at work is delaying fun here LOL
Old October 20, 2011, 12:43 PM   #66
Poodleshooter

The phone could be a lifesaver if you ever find yourself hanging by your safety strap, after a stand failure.

Surfing and posting on the web while hunting sounds fun. Now you just need some handsfree video/audio, so you can upload the action to you tube, and link it here.
Since I'm a tracphone guy and since I can't get a signal on my property, I usually just bring an old dog-eared western to read while in my stand. The longest shot I have is about 50yds, so it doesn't exactly require a triumph of effort to keep an eye out for deer.
Old October 20, 2011, 01:07 PM   #67
sc outdoorsman

I take my phone with me mostly for emergencies. We are a long way from anything important. We have limited signal for talking but I can text from both properties. If my son goes hunting we usually hunt different tracts about a mile apart. He can text me to let me know whats going on around him and if he gets one. I have killed several deer while we were texting. I had to put down my phone and fire a shot, so I kind of look at it like good luck charm. If I told him that he would probably quit doing it.
Old October 20, 2011, 01:46 PM   #68
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

LIVE from the stand! Day 3!

Here I am!
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=42.464357,-76.449963

I'm not sure exactly how it's showing in the link.... I'm in the little rectangle of trees, very near the NE corner of the rectangle. The field to the east is soy beans. The deer all hang out in suburbia to the north-north west.
Hopefully they come here for dinner.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; October 20, 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old October 20, 2011, 02:15 PM   #69
sc outdoorsman

Good luck. It it hard to tell from the link, but it look looks like a good place to catch one waiting for dark to go out in the field.
Old October 20, 2011, 02:20 PM   #70
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday my uncle sat in his car along the dirt road to the NW of this piece. He saw many deer coming from the suburbia north of here, including 3 bucks, one of them a real beast. Very late they come out though. Hopefully there's a few in here already that will head to the field before dark.
Old October 20, 2011, 06:30 PM   #71
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Well. Day three is a bust. Two squirrels running around after each other in the woods and my uncle saw four deer but he couldn't get a shot. So, that's that. Day 4 will be Saturday.
Old October 20, 2011, 08:12 PM   #72
bswiv

I hate to admit this but your thread made me alter my nomal routine. Typically I come home, fire up the computer, read the emails, look at the local news, then the national and only after doing all that do I check in on TFL and a local fishing site I participate in.

Today.......fire up the computer.......check LIVE FROM THE STAND.....first!!
Old October 20, 2011, 09:02 PM   #73
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That's funny.
Old October 20, 2011, 09:21 PM   #74
stu925

Ok I admit it I'm hooked on this thread. My season won't be starting until 11/19 so I'll have to live vicariously through this thread until then. Good luck on day 4.

Stu
Old October 21, 2011, 03:47 PM   #75
DRice.72

It is the same for me Stu, 11/21 here.