The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2011, 08:27 PM   #1
vincegsc

.38 Special Plinker

My usual plinker is 158 gr lead wadcutter and 3.0 Bullseye for wife and kids. Indoor range now bans plain lead bullets. I bought some 130 gr RN jacketed bullets. See any problem loading them with the 3.0 Bullseye? Less than 3.0?
Old June 28, 2011, 08:44 PM   #2
huntinaz

I would imagine that would be fine. You may email Alliant and ask them, they will give you advice. You may need to bump it up a hair, like 3.2-3.5gr range. They'll know for sure. Without info, I'd proly start at ~3.5 and work down if I needed to. This is based on the posted 125gr Gold Dot data (4.5gr max).

Also, huge bummer on lead bullet ban. Hippies!
Old June 28, 2011, 08:45 PM   #3
zxcvbob

Yeah, your going to stick a bullet in the barrel unless you seat the bullets all the way in the cases (then it might be alright, but you won't be able to crimp them.)

Berry's sells copper plated HBWC's and DEWC's. That's what you want. They probably cost the same or a little cheaper than your 130 grain FMJ's.
Old June 28, 2011, 09:00 PM   #4
zippy13

Greetings, vincegsc, and welcome aboard,

My target/plinker load is a home cast wad cutter over a standard 2.7 gr of Bullseye for revolvers and M-52 auto-loader. Some revolver shooters use lighter loads.

Remember, the vast majority of reloading recipes are geared towards shooters looking for maximum loads. And, they are often published by folks who are looking to sell you powder, not conserve it.

For your loads, 3.0 gr of Bullseye sounds like a reasonable starting point. With its fast burning rate, it's a good choice for reduced loads. When developing reduced loads you must be cognizant of the danger posed by a bullet not clearing the barrel/cylinder, and how to clear the gun should the situation arise.
Old June 28, 2011, 11:00 PM   #5
Loader9

Have you by chance measured the diameter of these bullets. A 130 RN is usually a 9mm/38 Super bullet and will measure .355. That's going to create issues in a 38 Special that require a .357 jacketed bullet. Look to buy plated bullets for plinkers. Considering the low powder charges you are using, crimping is not an issue. A load of 3.0 grs Bullseye under that bullet is flirting with a stuck bullet or possibly a damaged gun from an unskilled shooter who may pull the trigger again after lodging a bullet in the barrel. I wouldn't suggest it.
Old June 29, 2011, 08:22 PM   #6
vincegsc

Thanks all

Thank you for suggestions. I did email Alliant yesterday evening. No reply yet. The bullets are Winchester and were a good price in a gun store. They are labeled 38 CAL, but, with digital calipers, they measure .3555 to.356