The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 6, 2011, 07:07 PM   #1
fire4606

Made a mistake in getting a 1911? Sig Sauer 1911

Hi guys, new to the forum here, I'm Jason, 42 yrs old, been shooting for the last 28 years.

Had everything under the sun basically in handguns, EXCEPT, a 1911. I've always wanted one just never could find one that really fit my hand/me the way i wanted.

Well last month at the gun show came upon a Sig Sauer 1911 C3P (plus) and loved the feel.

I've got about 150 rounds through it now and have come upon a disturbing problem, last round only FTF's.

I've always bought quality handguns, and i've never had a reliability problem before of any type with any of my semi autos from Ruger MK II's and III's, to glocks, S&D M&P's, Rugers, Sig Sauer's etc..

So I've done some research and last round FTF's most seem to think are a magazine issue, well these are brand new out of the box from Sig, BUT in that research i see the problem isn't specific to an particular mag brand nor any particular 1911 brand, google "last round ftf" and you get similar reports from all over the place on every brand mag and gun imaginable.

I really liked this thing and was going to make it a carry gun but now i just don't know..

I'll be calling sig on monday and see what they say but my carry guns have to run 100% in practice to qualify as a carry gun.

Curious if anyone else has a Sig C3 or C3P that has had this problem and if/how you were able to take care of it..

Thanks

Jason....

P.S. Good news is i got my Browning Hi-Power MKIII back from the gunsmith today, lots of new C&S internals and some quality stoning/honing and this baby is a BEEEAAAUUUUTIFUL tack driving machine...
Old May 6, 2011, 07:09 PM   #2
fire4606

And for those wanting specifics, the FTF's are probably occuring in the 60 to 70 percent of the time range....

I'm getting anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of the way into the chamber then the slide locking up, or just a plain and simple lock back of the slide with a round sitting loose on top of the magazine follower....
Old May 6, 2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Adamantium

Two things you might want to consider with your problem.

1. The magazines that come with 1911's are usually not top notch quality. This is kind of a 180 from non-1911's where factory magazines are generally considered the best.

2. There are so many different 1911's and magazines out there that no single magazine brand will feed perfectly in 100% of 1911's. Vice versa is also true.

I would recommend trying a different brand mag and see if it solves your problem. Wilson and Chip McCormick get generally positive reviews.
Old May 6, 2011, 09:11 PM   #4
rduckwor

Buy Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick Mags. My Wilson's run flawlessly in my SIG 1911.

Good Luck,
Old May 6, 2011, 09:13 PM   #5
KChen986

Send it back to sig. Had a Sig GSR 1911 RCS which would ftf often. Sig had to replace the external extractor for the gun to function 99%.
Old May 6, 2011, 09:43 PM   #6
shootniron

You are not the only one to have problems with the Sig 1911's. From what I have read in several places, Sig actually had to go back to the drawing board after the first run of their 1911's as they were seriously plagued with problems.
Old May 6, 2011, 09:50 PM   #7
fire4606

This isn't a first run, this was manufactured March 2011.

Other than the last round only ftf's, this thing is about the nicest shooting gun i've ever had, second only to my browning hi powers.

Kchen, you had ftf's often on yours, was this from any position in the magazine? Mine is only last round, it eats 3 different brands of cheap target ammo fine, and one good speer defense rounds fine, EXCEPT last round out of the magazine... any other position not a single failure to feed, eject, fire, or anything else..

I've heard from others about some issues with the extractor, but the difference being those ftf's would come anywhere, 2n round, 5th, 4th, etc..

Rduck, after talking to sig on monday if they can't offer me any other advice i'm thinking about switching to wolf, or wilson spring kits for the mags and see if that helps, after that it will be to wilson mags also..

However if you do a search on 1911's last round ftf's you'll see kimbers, sigs, s&w's all come up with the issue and wilson 47d's being listed often as mags that have been tried..

Thanks for the info so far guys.......

Jason
Old May 6, 2011, 09:58 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Welcome aboard.
Looks to me you're not the usual new guy coming in without spending at least 5 minutes researching your problem. That's a welcomed relief.

I know the results you found didn't conclude an aftermarket mag cures the problem. However, I would still buy or borrow a good quality aftermarket mag and give it a try. Worst case scenario, you'll have to sell the mag if you no longer want a 1911. Even then, you'll get most of your money back selling them....especially a Wilson Combat 47D. Followers are sometimes different in the angle/presentation of the ammo to the barrel throat. Give it a whirl and report back to us.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 6, 2011, 10:04 PM   #9
Shooter4Life

I have a 2010 production C3 and its never failed in any respect in 2k ish rounds. I did, however, buy Chip McCormick mags from the get go and never used the factory as it sits flush and tends to pinch my palm. Sure sounds like a mag problem to me. I would recomend trying any of the above mentioned brands before I would send the gun back to Sig.

How about some pics? I've never seen a C3P.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:31 PM   #10
WVsig

Quote:
I'm getting anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of the way into the chamber then the slide locking up, or just a plain and simple lock back of the slide with a round sitting loose on top of the magazine follower....
Sounds like a 3 point jam. Try Wilsons or Chip McCormick power mags and see if it corrects the problem.

Could be extractor tension could be mag springs but I agree with others try mags first. You can never have enough good mags. Pics of the actual jam would also be helpful. People who know a lot more than I do will be able to offer solid advice based on pics.

How does it shoot otherwise? Accurate? How is the trigger pull? Clean consistent?

Last edited by WVsig; May 6, 2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:33 PM   #11
27Veer

My BIL has one and he switched to CMC Power Mags and it runs like a champ.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:34 PM   #12
WVsig

http://www.cmcmags.com/Powermags.html

$23.95 with free shipping.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:35 PM   #13
jimbob86

Quote:
Buy Wilson Combat (mags)

This^^^^
Old May 6, 2011, 10:47 PM   #14
Edward429451

The mags you want are Wilson 47D's. If they still do it upon purchase (mine did), then call them for the extra power springs. They sent me 6 at no charge. The problem went away with the extra power mag springs.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:55 PM   #15
WVsig

Quote:
The mags you want are Wilson 47D's. If they still do it upon purchase (mine did), then call them for the extra power springs. They sent me 6 at no charge. The problem went away with the extra power mag springs.
Do you think it was the followers or the springs that made the difference? Would be interesting to put one of the extra power springs into the factory mags and see if it still FTF.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:56 PM   #16
fire4606

Thanks guys, i'm considering the CMC mags, i still want to hear what Sig tells me first when i call them on monday..

WVSig, i've seen others describe a 3 point jam before, and yeh i think that's what i would call it also...

How it shoots, heh.. i wanted this as a second CCW gun, even if i'm unable to get the last round FTF's figured out the gun isn't going anywhere..

It shoots great, fit and finish is great, looks are great, very accurate, and while i'm not pro or big time target guy i think the trigger is great.

If zombies invade the earth and i knew i had to make head shots only i'd probably leave all my other guns and take this one with the browning hi power and go zombie huntin......

Here's a pic

Last edited by fire4606; January 29, 2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:59 PM   #17
fire4606

Edward,

Thanks for the info, and from what you're saying it sounds to me like the springs made the difference and not the follower, so that would be the cheapest easiest thing to try first maybe....
Old May 6, 2011, 11:02 PM   #18
Edward429451

Yeah, just the springs. I had bought 6 new mags and all of them had the same problem. No other changes except the new springs. They were very nice about it, Wilson's CS is tops.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:09 PM   #19
WVsig

Quote:
Yeah, just the springs. I had bought 6 new mags and all of them had the same problem. No other changes except the new springs. They were very nice about it, Wilson's CS is tops.
Have you tried the wilson springs in the factory mags. That would tell you if it is springs + the followers or is it just the springs.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:20 PM   #20
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Have you tried the wilson springs in the factory mags. That would tell you if it is springs + the followers or is it just the springs.
Won't work. The followers are different, and the shape of the spring at the upper end has to mate up with the follower.

SIG's magazines are produced for them by one of the top magazine manufacturers, a company that also supplies several of the other "name" 1911 manufacturers as well as some of the "name" aftermarket magazine vendors. I don't think your problem is the magazines.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:20 PM   #21
KyJim

I have a Sig C3. A couple of points. First, extractor tension should not be an issue since it has an external extractor. Second, make sure you use copious amounts of a decent gun oil like FP-10, Militec-1, or my favorite, Mobil 1 5W-30 (really).

Mine had a few issues for about 150 rounds and smoothed right out. Second, if you want to try the mag spring route, get some Wolff extra power springs. For the same reason, you might try six round mags. If this doesn't work and you're still having problems after another 100 rounds or so, Sig should fix it up.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:26 PM   #22
WVsig

Forgot about the external extractor....
Old May 6, 2011, 11:28 PM   #23
WVsig

Quote:
SIG's magazines are produced for them by one of the top magazine manufacturers, a company that also supplies several of the other "name" 1911 manufacturers as well as some of the "name" aftermarket magazine vendors. I don't think your problem is the magazines.
Checkmate?

I have not seen the new Sig 1911 mags. Thanks for the correction.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:06 AM   #24
thump_rrr

Wilson's latest mags are the 500 Elite.
These were designed from the ground up as 8 round mags.
I know everyone loves their 47D's but once you try the 500 Elite you won't go back.
Old May 8, 2011, 02:19 PM   #25
theskunk

When the last round FTF it usually is the mag follower hitting the slide lock open. But, with Sigs quality control, you never know.