The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2010, 03:36 PM   #1
grubbylabs

My first rifle reloads

This is my first 100 yard shots with this gun and also my first reloads I have ever done. I loaded some 45 and shot those since I loaded these but today was the first chance I had to get out to shoot the rifle.

This is with a Marlin XS7 in 308

The load is a 165 grn speer BT Spitz-SP with 42 grns of IMR 4064 I decided to use this load after reading through the pet 308 loads and some one said they use a load very similar to this. I guess I don't see a need to change the load until I can out shoot what I am doing know. It has been 4 years since I have owned a rifle let alone shot one

The group on the right are the first three that I shot. I adjusted the sight 8 clicks to the left and got the far left ones so I turned it back one click and was able to put them in the center. So I did 4 more shots at the upper left corner and only had one flier, I jerked the trigger but I am still happy since I am not a practiced shooter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0368.jpg (242.2 KB, 44 views)

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old March 25, 2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Nothing like getting back in the game. Good job.

If you'd like a systematic way to find the optimum load for your particular rifle, take a read through Dan Newberry's OCW site.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle