The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2009, 08:16 AM   #1
greyson97

would you buy a gun to fit in?

Say for example, a person only had black plastic tacticool shotguns and rifles, and they had friends or co-workers who hunted or did traditional clay trap and skeet, and they were the kind that used wood furniture guns that were meant for hunting, and not, people killing.

would you buy a wood furniture gun to fit in, or would you bring your tacticool gun that could probabbly serve the same purpose as well?

If you are the type that has tons of wood furniture guns, how would you feel if someone brought their tacticool gun to the hunt/shoot

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old September 17, 2009, 08:38 AM   #2
KCabbage

As long as it serves it's purpose why does it matter?

Take it how it is, it makes you unique
Old September 17, 2009, 08:45 AM   #3
dabigguns357

No,i already fit into my world,why would i want to fit into someone elses world.When i hunt i use a black mossberg 500 with a rifled slug barrel and a red dot sight to match.Nothing changes when i set it in the corner for h/d even down to the type of slugs i use for hunting/hd.I also can't see paying for something that i'll only use once or twice or something to fit in with.

you wouldn't change wives because the other didn't fit in.show them how you shoot and not what you shoot.
Old September 17, 2009, 08:59 AM   #4
Joat

A plausible excuse to tell the wife on why I have to buy another shotgun... works for me.

The company I work for has hosted a sporting clays tournament for our customers the last 3 years. I am the oddball on the sporting clays field. The first year I shot the course with a 20" winchester 97 without a sight and single loaded it for fun. Last year I shot the course with a hammered SXS (sporting clays is shot with double barrels, right?). Missed the shoot this year due to scheduling issues, and tecieved several calls from people telling me that many people asked "where the guy with the weird guns is?"

Shoot what you want to shoot and don't judge others by their choice of guns. If you want to get one, go for it. I always encourage others to buy more guns, having a valid(?) reason to do so is a bonus.

Joat
Old September 17, 2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Hardcase

I'm the only wood-stocked, bolt action, antique rifle shooting nutball at my range's high power shooting competitions. I've got a Springfield 03 and everybody else has some kind of black plastic semiautomatic rifle. The speed stage trips me up sometimes, but I don't do too bad. Everybody has a good time and nobody cares what I'm shooting.

So, my answer is that you should bring what you have. I don't own any tacti-whatever stuff, but I wouldn't look askance at anybody who brought a black shotgun duck hunting with me - it sure beats hunting alone!
Old September 17, 2009, 09:08 AM   #6
dalecooper51

Not if what I had would work well and not handicap me. If all I had was an 18" cyl bore riot gun and wanted to shoot trap, I would look for a longer sporting barrel with a tighter choke. There is no need to conform to impress others, but there also isnt a need to handicap yourself when a simple barrel or choke swap would make the outing much more enjoyable for you.
Old September 17, 2009, 09:35 AM   #7
greyson97

OP here:

If your boss invited you to go hunt doves with him, would you still show up with your all black tactical remington 18" barrel with pistol grip?

Old September 17, 2009, 09:48 AM   #8
Skans

I'm relatively new to the world of sporting clays and skeet shooting. Before purchasing a shotgun, I rented shotguns at the places I'd shoot at. Most of the time I rented a Beretta O/U 12 gauge. So, I'd say I favored Berettas.

I have some older friends that I occasionaly shoot with. One helped me get into shooting sporting clays and he guided me in purchasing the right shotgun and with fitting the shotgun as well. There are both practical and non-practical reasons not to use tactical type shotguns if you are going to get into sporting clays, skeet shooting or trap.

Forgetting the practical reasons on why one style of gun is arguably better than another style of gun, as someone said in another thread, if you want to take the sport seriously, and be taken seriously, then you need to invest in the right equipment. This doesn't mean that you need to spend $1,000 + on an appropriate shotgun, but it does mean that you need to at least make an attempt to get one that fits you properly and one that isn't going to look stupid and out of place.

If I'm on the Golf Course, I don't wear camo and bring just one driver to T off with, hit every shot with and putt with as well. Likewise, there is an etiquette as well with shotgun sports. You don't need a $70,000 master engraved shotgun. But, if you bring your black plastic tacticool shotgun to shoot sporting clays, you will look like an idiot and probably shoot like an idiot. Now, if you're breaking 90% with your tacticool shotgun shooting sporting clays, then disregard everything I've said.
Old September 17, 2009, 09:49 AM   #9
dalecooper51

Quote:
If your boss invited you to go hunt doves with him, would you still show up with your all black tactical remington 18" barrel with pistol grip?
When you say pistol grip, do you mean a shoulder stock with a detached pistol grip or is it a pistol grip only?

Doves can be tough buggers to hit, I was shooting them last weekend and they were staying out about 40 yds from where I was. I would definitely want a shoulder stock and a mod choke or so for dove.
Old September 17, 2009, 10:12 AM   #10
greyson97

pistol grip stock, not a pistol grip only

Old September 17, 2009, 10:26 AM   #11
BigJimP

I would recommend you explain to your boss - you have a "tactical" shotgun but you don't have a "field" gun - ask him if you might be able to borrow a gun or rent one - and see what he says.

If your Boss asks you to go somewhere with him or her / its a business function - and being prepared, dressed properly, etc ( is blaze orange required, are boots a good idea, snake chaps, do you need a hunting license, etc ) - and realize it may be important to your career. If you aren't a good wing shooter - tell him or her - ask for their help / get out and do some practice if you can before you go. Most of us that hunt or shoot sporting clays - have a variety of guns in our safe that we would easily loan for the day / especially to someone that was respectful of the equipment.
Old September 17, 2009, 11:00 AM   #12
oneounceload

The issue with tactical 18" barrel guns for wingshooting or clays is that they don't work well for those intended uses. GR sights, laser or flashlight, etc all interfere with the ability to properly and successfully SWING the gun. For static targets, that's one thing. For dynamic targets, the proper tool will be much more successful. It may only require swapping out the 18 for a 28" barrel to make that happen - it might mean just having to go get another gun (DARN!)

Someone on another thread compared selecting a handgun to selecting a hammer - it was a decent analogy. Same principles apply here. What makes an 18" barrel with a flashlight good for HD makes it lousy for sporting. What makes a 32" trap single good for trap, makes it lousy for HD. While, technically both COULD be used, wouldn't it be easier to use the right tool for the job?
Old September 17, 2009, 11:20 AM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Everyone who knows me, knows I do nothing to fit in with any particular group, style or type with anything in life
I gots what I gots in guns and I know them as well as my kids (Son 19 and Daughter is almost 18) if not better...
Brent
Old September 17, 2009, 11:32 AM   #14
greyson97

OP here:

yeah, i guess i should have left out friends and just focused on co-workers and boss. my friends are cool with what i have, and they like shooting my stuff cause its fun

Old September 17, 2009, 11:43 AM   #15
Waterengineer

You should see my answer to your same question over at the "Art of the Rifle:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=376737

You made a game changer.

Since this is a "work thing", you need to answer the question for yourself, "What impression to I want to make to my boss and co-workers?"

Is your boss older than you?

What type of biz are you in?

Is this a corporate/client gig?

etc?

Since you offered the game changing information, I more firmly suggest a wood/blue gun.

If for no other reason than you do not wat to make an "interesting" impression to your boss (or a client?).

Also, someone above suggested communitation with your co-workers and/or boss. Yep, that a good idea.
Old September 17, 2009, 11:51 AM   #16
greyson97

yes i do like

Quote:
It is not so much "trying to fit in" but showing you are serious about your pursuit, respectig the game and others around you.
in regards to your question waterengineer

yes, my boss is old, in his 60s. i work for a software company, and its not a company gig. I just bumped into him at the sporting goods store and we were both in the hunting section, and we talked and I always ask, what guns do you shoot, and the list of guns he mentioned clashed dramatically with what he listed. and he mentioned hunting and stuff, and i started to think about the possibility i might get invited to go hunting, what i should do

Old September 17, 2009, 12:11 PM   #17
Russ5924

I do love shotguns with the wood stock, but I still have two shotguns with the Black Poly stock and forearm
Old September 17, 2009, 12:33 PM   #18
Waterengineer

OK, let me be clear and too the point.

Yes, it is a company gig. If it is with your boss, it is a company gig..............He is around 60, says you.......thus, he is old school, as am I and many, many others around here.

Again, yes, it IS a company gig with your boss, if it happens.

And, YES, go wood and blue. The End.
Old September 17, 2009, 01:04 PM   #19
Technosavant

I've been using a 870 Tactical with the Knoxx SpecOps stock (M4 collapsible style, recoil reducing) for skeet for the past year or so.

It works. It isn't ideal, but it works (I don't have any lights or anything hanging off of it). I do get weird looks, but once I start breaking clays with it people tend to just nod and go about their business.

I've also used a converted Saiga 12 (I posted a pic of it on here a while back), but it's even less suitable due to the short length of pull and extremely short sight radius.

I plan on buying a more suitable skeet gun in the next month or so, but that is more of an effort to get serious about things than it is any attempt to fit in. As others said though, since it's a work outing for you, you do need to be concerned about the image you project to your boss. I'd imagine you could find a used 1100 in decent condition with a suitable barrel (say, at least 26" and interchangeable chokes) for not too much cash.
Old September 17, 2009, 01:11 PM   #20
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

One more thing... No matter the gun... Don't out shoot the bossman
Brent
Old September 17, 2009, 01:16 PM   #21
BigJimP

I disagree HogDog ..... he should shoot the best of his ability ..... but like Waterengineer said ....... the boss invited him, its a business function / don't go out there with a tactical firearm or dressed like a tactical wannabe ... or it could end his career..

but outshooting the boss - may get him a 2nd invitation / maybe even get him into an "inner circle" which is never a bad thing - regardless of his ambitions / its good to keep your career options open.
Old September 17, 2009, 01:23 PM   #22
riggins_83

Quote:
To fit in socially, no. To "fit in" to a task I would actually enjoy, such as wanting a shotgun for bird hunting other than something with a fixed open choke, yes.
Old September 17, 2009, 05:45 PM   #23
L_Killkenny

I answered on the other thread but didn't catch the thing about work and your boss. I'm gonna say this and some won't like it....

Life is a sales job. You want to get ahead, sometimes you have to do somethings that would go against your personal being. I have to be ubber nice to people everyday that I'd just as soon never deal with. Let's face it, you don't have to shower, you can tattoo your face, you can pierce all sorts of areas that show, grow your hair to your knees, etc etc. But I'm not gonna hire you and believe anyone who would to be an idiot. It' all fine and great to think this is the USA and you can do/be whatever you want, but some choices will cost you. Like it or not, it's a fact.

If you think your boss won't like your guns you have a dilemma. Worse case is he may very well be right about your choices of ownership.

LK
Old September 17, 2009, 06:06 PM   #24
oneounceload

I also answered this on your other thread.....basically, if it's your boss, it's a job-oriented political situation......better to be honest and open and ask how he might help you to best fit in.....
Old September 17, 2009, 06:14 PM   #25
johnbt

"would you buy a wood furniture gun to fit in"

Yes, but only if it came in 28 ga.