The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 26, 2009, 07:06 AM   #1
tpcollins

seat then crimp or seat and crimp - .40 S&W

I've got all of my components finally to load .40 S&W but I'm waiting for my 4 piece Lee dies that are on backorder. I've read the various posts using 3 versus 4 piece dies and as a newbie, I believe the seperate operations with the 4 piece die is best for me.

But with the 3 piece seat and crimp, if the bullet isn't deep enough in the case the first time, can the die be adjusted to reseat the bullet deeper even though it's been crimped? Lee is the only set I've seen that offers a 4 piece die so I'm just trying to understand how the others work with the 3 piece set - it must be simple or they'd all be using seperate operations as well. Thanks.
Old April 26, 2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Doby45

The Lee 4 die sets simply include the Factory Crimp Die. You can use the first three dies and it will be just like any other die set. I personally seat in one step and crimp in the final step. Seating and crimping in one station or separately is simply a preference. No different than someone liking Coke or Pepsi / Chevy or Ford. The reasoning behind the choice can also vary, some like the convenience of doing two things in a single station. Some prefer to use the FCD over the standard taper crimp.
Old April 26, 2009, 08:16 AM   #3
Cloudpeak

I've loaded over 30,000 rounds with lead bullets in 9, 40 & 45 and I've used a separate seating and crimping die and have been happy with the setup. I think there's more concern with "rolling" up a ridge of lead when trying to seat and crimp at the same time.

One thing to point out: a taper crimp should be used on rounds that headspace on the case mouth like the 9, 40 & 45 ACP and the taper crimp is used to remove the case mouth bell so the round will chamber properly. It's not like a roll crimp used in revolver and rifle loads to eliminate bullet setback.

When loading semi auto calibers for the first time, I always load up some dummy rounds and cycle them through the pistol several times and measuring for setback. If you have a setback problem, this is a function of the sizing die and/or the expander plug. When I had a setback problem, I turned down the diameter of the expander plug until the setback problem disappeared.

Cloudpeak
Old April 26, 2009, 08:30 AM   #4
wingman

I seat and crimp in two different operations for me it turns out a better
product,it tend to give more uniform oal and consistent crimp, but you will
find others who do not agree, I suggest trying both to see how it works.
Set back on the 40cal is more of a concern in my opinion then some calibers
but I load 40 and never have a problem.
Old April 26, 2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Dingoboyx

I seat & crimp

Then FCD separately at the end of process
Old April 26, 2009, 08:57 AM   #6
Dragon55

I crimp last only because of concern about OAL.
Old April 26, 2009, 11:14 AM   #7
tpcollins

Thanks everyone, makes better sense now that I understand what setback is. I'll just wait for my dies to come in.