The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 10, 2008, 12:52 AM   #1
ore2u

Timney trigger for 1100

Hello all, I am kinda stumped on this one. I bought a 1100 Trap with a Timney trigger. With the trigger out of the gun the hammer releases when the trigger is pulled. When I put it back in I get play in the trigger but the hammer never drops. What the Heck.....any ideas?
Old November 10, 2008, 08:05 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My guess is it's a release trigger. These are used by trap shooters primarily to ease a flinch. Some are convertible to pull triggers.

Using a snap cap in the chamber, point it in a safe direction and pull the trigger.

Hold it back and then release it. If it "Fires" when you release it, it's a release trigger. Timney made oodles of these.
Old November 10, 2008, 08:51 AM   #3
Waterengineer

Yep, release trigger. It is easily converted albeit somewhat of a hastle. Dissapointing I know sice you just bought the gun. In an 1100 I believe it is a drop in kit available from a bunch of sources.

I shoot with an semiauto load release-trigger dude. I'll call him from the office today and post more tonight if you don't get an answer today.
Old November 10, 2008, 09:05 AM   #4
oletymer

Contact Wrights gun shop. They might be able to help you.
Old November 10, 2008, 10:37 AM   #5
zippy13

Yikes!
IMHO, if actually a release trigger, then you have some serious issues with the seller. To sell a gun with a release trigger, and not inform the buyer, is unconscionable and might be considered criminal neglect. The question is: did the gun come with two triggers and was the OE in the gun when you took delivery?
Old November 10, 2008, 10:44 AM   #6
ore2u

I dont think that it is a release trigger. Like I said it functions correctly out of the gun. And it will not drop the hammer on the pull or the release when it is installed
Old November 10, 2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Waterengineer

If, as you said, the trigger functions properly, as a pull trigger, then it is sime to visit the smithy.

And, as zippy said, it is time for a discussion with the seller. If it is a release trigger then that is a problem (for you) and if there is another issue, then IMHO, that is unethical on the sellers part.
Old November 10, 2008, 04:03 PM   #8
BigJimP

I have no idea why it works fine out of the gun / and not in the gun.

But it may be the way you're installing it in the gun / it might be binding somehow ? I'd suggest you find a local 1100 expert, maybe at your gun club, and get their opinion.

In general, I will tell you, you should rely on a good gunsmith when it comes to trigger work or adjusting a trigger on a gun.