The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 4, 2008, 12:32 AM   #1
globemaster3

Dedicated Slug Gun

Gents,

I am relegating my rifle battery to the range since the USAF saw fit to PCS me to a shotgun deer hunting state. Although I do have a Mossberg 500 with the scoped slug barrel and it does OK, I am considering a dedicated slug gun. I saw another post that got mild response and most were using pumps with a sprinkling of auto.

Looking at some options, NEF has a single-shot slug gun, Savage makes a slug gun, Remington has some nice looking laminated slug guns. What experience do you have with them or others I have not mentioned?

Yes, I know, if the Mossberg is working, why get something else. Well, in short, I'd rather have something specially built for the task at hand than a band-aid fix. Not to mention adding another gun to the safe is a good thing.

Thanks for your insight!
Old November 4, 2008, 01:12 PM   #2
zippy13

Other than the hunting laws, I hope your PCS is satisfactory.
(We've all heard the joke about the screwed-up airman who's reduced to E-1 and PCSed to a sewage disposal flight in Greenland.)

You're throwing a pretty big loop to start with. How about deciding if you're going to go with a single shot or a repeater? What kind of budget do you have in mind?

You're probably going to alienate a lot of Mossberg owners by referring to your 500 with a scoped slug barrel as a "band-aid fix" -- to many that's as dedicated as a slug gun gets.
Old November 4, 2008, 02:23 PM   #3
globemaster3

Still swimming in boxes and the movers didn't break much, so I am on the up side there.

I know the loop is wide. That's intentional. Until the last assignment, the only use shotguns had in my stable was for birds. I felt the setup I put together got the job done, but was an added on feature and not as integrated as a purpose built slug gun. Since this is new territory for me, I did not wish to limit the scope of knowledge to one vein.

The prices on slug guns I've seen is not exorbitant, so again, don't want to limit here. What else is out there? What are people's experiences with them? Give me some pluses/minuses beyond the obvious (singles/pumps kick harder than autos...) I've looked around a little, but wish to gain knowledge from those who have probably hunted this way their entire life vs the nomadic existance I've lived.

No offense to anyone here, I'm just trying to improve the quality/performance available in my stable.

Thanks again for your insight!

Oh yeah, I broke in Thule for 5 days in my -141 time. I spent a lot of time in the Top of the World Club while getting doubtlessly irradiated by the BMEWS site! Nothing like walking outside at 0100 and seeing the sun directly overhead!
Old November 4, 2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Browning Silver

IMO best current action, trigger, recoil management, accuracy
Old November 4, 2008, 03:34 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

That 500 with a rifled barrel would be fine by me... Have fun deciding...
Brent
Old November 4, 2008, 04:06 PM   #6
T.A.Sharps

The most cutting edge would be a H&R 3.5" 20 gauge Ultra Slug Hunter.

It is a single shot, and has a bull barrel and is made specifically for making sabot slug shooting as accurate as we can get so far. There is a Tar Hunt bolt actions, but the price on those are crazy.

You can get a pump, which is what I have, in fact there is a new 870 barrel out there that is heavier than the standard, but not a bull barrel.
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=115244268
http://www.hastingsammunition.com/

Also I have heard of really good results from Rem 1187's.

And this sight has a forum with people dedicated to shotgun sabot slug accuracy.
http://www.slugshooter.com/

You might also do a forum search and read on the past "arguments" on the sabot slugs, there are a few.
Old November 4, 2008, 04:34 PM   #7
Pahoo

I personally think that having a dedicated slug gun has merit. Mine is an older Remington 1100, not scoped as I need faster shooting with the wild bunch I hunt with. However, on stand, I do mount a RedDot. I have a spare trigger group just for the slugs, that has been worked over. I also have a monte carlo synthetic stock and external shell holder. There are times when I group hunt and like the speed and control of the 1100.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 7, 2008, 11:43 PM   #8
globemaster3

Thanks for the input. Anyone else out there with dedicated slug guns?
Old November 8, 2008, 12:11 AM   #9
Cerick

My dad has a TC encore with a 20ga rifled slug barrel. Shoots very well! I have a 870 I will probably get a rifled barrel for.
Old November 8, 2008, 10:30 PM   #10
wjg686

I just bought a Rossi single shot slug gun (the owner's manual says it's DANGEROUS, so watch out!). It was a bit heavier and length of pull about 1/2" longer than the H&R/NEF single shot. The sights are much better than the H&R/NEF. It's very accurate, putting Hastings slugs one on top of another at 50 yards with open sights, and Hornady SST's in a 2 inch group at the same distance (limited by my eyesight -- I go to the range to sight in a Nikon 2-7X scope tomorrow). The barrel is ported to reduce recoil, they say. It doesn't work -- the thing kicked like a mule until I replaced the factory recoil pad with a Limbsaver. Now it's fine to shoot. Four coats of Tru-Oil, and the stock looks great.

I considered an 870. But I have a Beretta AL391 for wingshooting and like it. I never take a second shot at deer. Why not a single shot?

Gun $180
Limbsaver $ 40
Scope $129
Mounts $ 40

Total $390, or about 15 SST slugs for a sweet handling, very accurate deer gun. Unless it breaks, I'm happy.

Bill
Old November 8, 2008, 11:07 PM   #11
globemaster3

Thanks for the info Bill. All options are on the table. I've been looking around at singles and autos primarily. I agree with your price point on the Rossi and the same goes for NEF, they are easy on the wallet to get into.

I also looked at the Savage 210, but don't know anyone who has one. Also, the 11-87 laminated thumbhole slug gun looks nice.

Let me know how your range session goes with the Nikon.
Old November 9, 2008, 12:25 AM   #12
dabigguns357

yep mine is as dedicated as they come.I bought a Mossberg 500 pump with a rifled and ported barrel for only $169.72 nib from wal-mart.Mine gets used for hd and hunting both.

Old November 9, 2008, 02:15 AM   #13
T. O'Heir

"...why get something else..." 'I want one' is reason enough.
Remington makes their 870 Express Slug. Comes with a rifled, 3" chambered, 12(23") or 20(18.5") gauge barrel and a cantilever scope mount.
They make a rifled, 3" chambered, 21", 11-87 with the scope mount too. Quite a bit more money, by MSRP, though. $867 vs $488.
Your Mossberg barrel rifled? Mossberg makes 'em. Mind you, you'd have to sight in everytime you change barrels. A dedicated deer gun isn't a bad idea.
$1,135 MSRP for a Model 11-87™ SP Thumbhole. Ouch!.
Old November 9, 2008, 02:28 AM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

T.O., I ain't so sure the gun would suffer much from swapping barrels on a Mossberg... Mine fit quite snug with no noticeable wobble in the machining fitment. Maybe a shot or 2 to make sure you are still minute of deer at 100 yards? either way it can't be off much as the sights are on the barrel or you have the cantilever scope mount also on the barrel...

Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; November 9, 2008 at 02:29 AM. Reason: fergot sights on the barrel.
Old November 9, 2008, 02:38 AM   #15
SumToy Custom Barrel

The Savage 210 bolt gun. It is a heavy built gun. The trigger you can set to what you want. The Marlin 512 comes in the slug gun. The Mossberg makes a bolt gun set up for the slug.
Old November 9, 2008, 02:44 AM   #16
T. O'Heir

"...ain't so sure the gun would suffer much..." Yeah, likely. Force of habit from rifles. Do anything to a rifle and you're sighting in again.
Old November 9, 2008, 03:11 AM   #17
73-Captain

Dedicated Slug Gun

Globemaster3,

You have to put up with stupid backwards hunting laws but your base is just 1 nm NW of a beautiful, brand new range that you can shoot your rifles out to 200 yards!

I'm looking for the same thing but have decided to go with a Rem. 11-87 Slug Gun to go with my new 7 shot 11-87 I picked up for duty use.

C.
Old November 9, 2008, 06:03 AM   #18
shortwave

By chance your not in Ohio are you? This state has always been a "no rifle" state. Since you`re in the military and may get transfered again I`d probably go with a rifled barrel as the terrain may change from place to place. I always used an old smoothbore Rem. 1100. Mine shoots 2 3/4" accurate out to 100yds. Rem. made(makes?) an 1100 magnum that shot 3". Didn`t ever see the need for the shoulder busting 3" or 3 1/2". Don`t know the state or terrain your hunting in but to confuse things more, have you thought about a muzzleloader. Some "no-rifle" states allow m/l to be used in shotgun season as well as m/l season. One weapon, two seasons and some of the inlines have rifle accuracy out to 200yds. Just another idea. 'Thank You' for your services in the military.

Last edited by shortwave; November 9, 2008 at 06:10 AM.
Old November 9, 2008, 09:10 AM   #19
globemaster3

Thanks for all the input. The Marlin 512 was new to me. I'll look that up!

For those suggesting the rifled slug barrel, I've got one for my Mossberg with a scope on it and it shoots OK. As I mentioned in the original post, I'm just looking for something more dedicated to the slug world that might perform better since for the next 3-4 years I am going to be hunting this way.

And I wish I was in Ohio. The other laws there might make more sense. I am sitting in IL.
Old November 9, 2008, 11:49 AM   #20
dakota223

think outsides the box, see if they allow muzzleloaders, I bought one last year and im not going back. ohio allows muzzle loaders and pistols its not a strictly shotgun state. your state may allow them. it is 10 times more accurate than a shotgun and with modern powder charges and rolling block and open breech designs just as clean. and you can get good prices on good muzzleloaders. only thing ill hunt with shotguns now is squirl and rabbit.
Old November 9, 2008, 01:16 PM   #21
jerryd

Dedicated Slug Gun

Dont know what your budget is but my son picked up a Benelli Super Black Eagle with the slug bbl. could not believe how accurate they are with the Hornady SST slugs! Sighted in at 100yds accurate to 175yds, not that i would shoot that far!!!
Old November 9, 2008, 02:37 PM   #22
boykinhntr

I looked at many different slug guns and shot 3 or 4. The one that was just absolutely dead accurate was the Remington 870. I bought the combo that has a rifled barrel and a normal 28" barrel for duck hunting.

This thing will dot the bulleyes at 100 yds with Hornady Slugs.

I prefer pumps bc i hunt in a lot of swampy areas. My best deer hunting is in a thicket at my duck club in 2 feet of water. I have to wear hip boots to get to my stand. The autos work fine as long as you clean them. I have several benellis, brownings, and some nicer guns. They only see limited time bc the 870 is the only one that goes boom everytime no matter what conditions. You can't go wrong with one. However, I would stay away from the 1187.
Old November 9, 2008, 10:36 PM   #23
wjg686

Rossi + Nikon 2-7X scope = SWEET!

Back from the range today. Hornady SST slugs all in the same hole at 50 yards through the Nikon scope. My son's and my business partner's 870's weren't as accurate with their rifle sights. All of us spread them over 2-3 inches at the same range. The Rossi and Nikon combo will leave widows and orphans in a month! Sorry, Bambi.