The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 29, 2007, 01:31 AM   #1
cold dead hands

Location: Arkansuck...I dream of the day I leave here. Never to return.
Someone at the door

There is someone at the door and you aren't expecting company. Do you answer while holding a firearm (out of view) or just open up because you feel safe? Does daylight affect your decision?

I answer with a pistol out of view, day or night, if I am not expecting anyone, and sometimes with one at night even if I am expecting company.

Am I paranoid? How about you?
Old November 29, 2007, 01:33 AM   #2
TexasSeaRay

You're definitely paranoid.

We just let one of our dogs answer the door (a German Shepherd and a Doberman).

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old November 29, 2007, 01:53 AM   #3
cold dead hands

Location: Arkansuck...I dream of the day I leave here. Never to return.
Got no dog. Don't want a dog.

It is just me except for when my kids are here for the weekend.

Being single for 6 years has made me this way. Not having someone to call 911 for you while you are dealing with bad guys will adjust your tatics. People have been attacked at their doors. If I am paranoid, then so be it.
Old November 29, 2007, 02:01 AM   #4
animal

Call me paranoid I guess ...
Open the door with pistol in right hand ... out of view(behind door) with foot as a stop for door in case they try to force their way in. I weigh 240 so I doubt they'll move my foot.
Old November 29, 2007, 02:02 AM   #5
MTMilitiaman

I might not have a gun in hand, but there is one within one or two steps of the door.

At night, I would definitely have my Glock.
Old November 29, 2007, 02:08 AM   #6
fivepaknh

I believe in profiling. Seldom do home invaders dress like Girl Scouts selling cookies. If the person at the door looks like a thug I’ll answer with a gun on me but not in view.

The two punks that killed those 2 Dartmouth professors several years back went to another house first. At the first house the guy answered with a .45 in hand and in plain view. The punks decided to move on. It’s good the guy with the .45 was “paranoid” or he would have been the victim that night.
Old November 29, 2007, 02:11 AM   #7
Edward Nigma

It's just me and my fiance at my place. Only one good friend who would come around, and he'd call, I'd recognize him if he showed up unannounced. Other than that, just the parents and my fiance's family.

Bottom Line: We don't answer the door if someone knocks unless it's UPS or the post man. And then, yes, I have a pistol concealed on me just in case.
Old November 29, 2007, 02:36 AM   #8
Wildalaska

I just yank the door open and stand there in the nude.

WildswmbohatesthatAlaska TM
Old November 29, 2007, 04:16 AM   #9
oldbillthundercheif

If I'm not expecting company, I don't answer the door. If it's a friend in need of help or the cops they will just knock louder and identify themselves. That happened the other night. The cops were looking for my landlord (some kind of incident at one of his other properties or something).

I went to the door without a shotgun or rifle even though it could have been ninja zombies pretending they were cops. You roll the dice, I guess.
Old November 29, 2007, 04:58 AM   #10
steveno

thanks for the warning Wildalaska
Old November 29, 2007, 05:47 AM   #11
grey sky

No soliciting signs are quite effective. I put some up a few months ago I don't realy fear a home invasion just don't like being interupted. But I know a knock is not a salesman. And yes always have a plan.
Old November 29, 2007, 06:10 AM   #12
Bud Helms

We have a "tactics" forum for these "what-if, self defense" threads.

Moving to T&T.
Old November 29, 2007, 07:33 AM   #13
Billy Sparks

Quote:
I just yank the door open and stand there in the nude.

WildswmbohatesthatAlaska TM

That is a image I did not need at 7:33am.
Old November 29, 2007, 09:56 AM   #14
Spade Cooley

If you look outside and do not recognize the person at the door, why answer it? Ask them what they want and call help for them if they need it. I don't like drawing down on the Jehova's Wittnesses but they can leave the Watchtower on the porch.

During the daylight with people around, I am not this careful. I do have a gun at the ready.
Old November 29, 2007, 10:39 AM   #15
markj

Quote:
There is someone at the door and you aren't expecting company. Do you answer while holding a firearm
If this is your way of life, moving to a better location is my advise.

The outside light shows me who is there, the dogs let me know if they are friends or unknowns. Where I live we dont worry much about that kinda stuff. Paranoia is a disease, it can be cured. First off, quit watching violent shows...... TV will brainwash ya.
Old November 29, 2007, 10:56 AM   #16
Dirty_Harry

Depends on the time of day, I never get people at my door unless I have invited friends over. When it is unexpected I answer the door with a concealed Glock 23.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old November 29, 2007, 11:54 AM   #17
Fremmer

You guys and your little handguns.

I've upgraded to a flame-thrower. That way, I can instantly char the bg and any of his friends. I like 'em well-done. And it'll look pretty, too; kind of like the 4th of July!

Plus, it's too cold to stand in the doorway naked. Shrinkage, ya know....
Old November 29, 2007, 12:00 PM   #18
Night Watch
Registration in progress

What's wrong with some of you people?

I never answer the door. I answer the window, instead!
Old November 29, 2007, 12:03 PM   #19
rampage841512

I usually have gun in holster, hand on gun, when I answer the door in such situations.
Old November 29, 2007, 12:09 PM   #20
ragwd

Just because your paranoid, doen't mean they aren' out to get you
Old November 29, 2007, 12:12 PM   #21
SundownRider

My problem right now is training my two little boys not to run to the door and stick their faces in the side window to see who is ringing the doorbell. More than once a little rear has been popped for not listening to daddy. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I argued that if a perp wants to start something, does she want her children in the immediate vicinity?
Hard to train 3 and 5 year-olds when they are as stubborn as their daddy, but they'll eventually get it, like I did with my dad.

I answer the door with my out of sight right arm ready to jack the door closed at the first sign of difficulty, like someone stepping on my porch. Stay on the walk, and we'll talk. Firearm within reach after that.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old November 29, 2007, 12:21 PM   #22
buzz_knox

Quote:
Paranoia is a disease, it can be cured. First off, quit watching violent shows...... TV will brainwash ya.
I wonder if the doctor I know who ended up with a bullet in his brain when he answered the door (disgruntled employee the doc had held off duty) watched too much TV. I doubt it, since he wasn't paranoid enough to figure out who was at the door before openining.

I wonder if the family of my aunt's neighbors watched TV. Again, I doubt it, since if they had, the husband would have been too paranoid to open the door and end up being murdered by the thief who had knocked.

There are many such "knock and robs" and similar home invasions in this country every year. It's not paranoia to prepare for something that has real chance of occurring.
Old November 29, 2007, 12:46 PM   #23
fivepaknh

Quote:
If this is your way of life, moving to a better location is my advise.

The outside light shows me who is there, the dogs let me know if they are friends or unknowns. Where I live we dont worry much about that kinda stuff. Paranoia is a disease, it can be cured. First off, quit watching violent shows...... TV will brainwash ya.
The Dartmouth professors lived in a very nice neighborhood. Nice and "safe".
http://www.crimelibrary.com/notoriou...murders/1.html

This is from page 15 of that story. It's the guy they had first intended as their victim. It's a good thing he was paranoid.
Quote:
The suspicious homeowner told Rob he could not use the phone and Rob saw the man through a window standing in the doorway and holding a gun.
No one is saying you have to stand in the doorway and be confrontational with all visitors. If you think something is odd then answer the door in a friendly manner, but be comforted that you have a tool on you to defend yourself should things go bad.
Old November 29, 2007, 01:14 PM   #24
spacemanspiff

Quote:
That is a image I did not need at 7:33am
That implicityly implies that there is a time of day when you need that image.
Old November 29, 2007, 01:51 PM   #25
Wildalaska

Quote:
That implicityly implies that there is a time of day when you need that image.
Yikes

WildbillystopwearebothmarriedAlaska ™
Closed Thread