The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 23, 2000, 08:30 PM   #1
SharpCdn

I am in the process of changing my dillon 650 over to 9mm from 38spl, and I am encountering scratched cases from my 9mm Carbide sizing die (Dillon type). This cannot be normal. This problem has never occurred in the 1,000's of rounds I have reloaded in 38spl.

Does 9mm require lube because of its tapered walls? Or am I doing something else wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 23, 2000, 08:47 PM   #2
Target Shooter

Sounds like you may have a scratched sizing die. You may be able to polish it out with a little steel wool and JB bore cleaner. Wrap some steel wool over an old bore brush and apply a little JB Bore Cleaner to the steel wool. Spin this with a drill motor while pushing it in and out of the sizing die a few dozen times.
If the scratch is small this will remove it or polish it to the point that it won't scratch your brass. You won't remove any noticeable amount of material from the carbide die with this method.
If this doesn't work you may have to send the die back for replacement or if the scratch isn't deep it shouldn't harm anything.
If the scratch is deep you could experience a premature brass failure at the scratch.
Carbide pistol dies do not require lube.

TS

Old May 23, 2000, 08:47 PM   #3
JNewhouse

I don't usually use lube on my 9mm cases when using my carbide dies. I have before, but it was because I was using a hand press on my living room couch. I found it much easier to size the brass while watching TV with the lube.
Where did you get the brass from? Is there sand or grit on it? Maybe there is a bit of material stuck in the die somewhere? How do the walls of your sizing die look?
Old May 23, 2000, 09:09 PM   #4
SharpCdn

The die is brand new, never used before tonight. It appears to be smooth. The scratches in the case are very slight, but there are many of them, all around the case, down to about half way down the case. I would better descibe it as a scuffing rather than a scratching I suppose.

I did clean the brass thoroughly, with soap and water followed by drying, then tumbling.

I really hope the die is not scratched.

Thanks for your help so far.
Old May 23, 2000, 11:24 PM   #5
Banzai

Don't waste your time trying to fix someone elses mistake if it's a new toy, especially a Dillon. Get on the phone and tell 'em that you got a bad part. I had a Lee die that did the same thing, sent it back, got a new one.

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!
Wake up and realize that you have the moral imperative of action..!!!
Old May 24, 2000, 12:50 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Can you feel the "scratches" when you run your thumbnail across them? Does your thumbnail barely register on them, or does it really catch?

If the former, don't worry about it. It's probably just some rough machining.

If, however, you can actually see metal displacement, then you've got a problem.
Old May 24, 2000, 07:38 PM   #7
SharpCdn

Actually, the scratches/scuffs are very minor. I cannot feel them at all by running my nail accross them. It's purely cosmetic I'm sure, but I take alot of pride in my reloads to make them exactly right. And I like them to look right too. Do any of you guys get scuffing from your dies? Like I said before, I never had that problem when loading 38spl from the same machine and same brand of dies.

Guess I'll have to get on the horn and ask Dillon about it.

Thanks for your input, you guys .
Old May 25, 2000, 07:09 PM   #8
johnwill

Although Mike will get on my case for this, I'd suggest that you tumble the brass before sizing, and you shouldn't have a problem. If the die is defective, Dillon will replace it in a flash.