The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 13, 2013, 02:44 PM   #1
alex2008

New Old Faithful Holster

My new holster came in the mail today. It's an Old Faithful quick assemble kit. They form the kydex and then all you have to do is put it together, which took me about 10 minutes. They have a video on their website on how to assemble it too. I paid $40 for it, and I saved some money by doing that instead of a pre-assembled one. It's completely adjustable for ride height, cant,and retention.

Here are some pics of it.

What do you guys think?

Old April 13, 2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Jbotto

Nice! They are very comfortable! I have the black/black one. I cut the body shield off as it wasn't applicable to my revolver, and changed out the clips as they weren't quite what I wanted. I realized this after wearing it for awhile. I do love the holster and they have been a great company to deal with!
Old April 14, 2013, 10:07 AM   #3
kahrguy

I have bought a few of them for my girls and there hubbies for CC use as they all got there CCL. All are happy with them too. My youngest girl is really tiny and she it it was to wide as in side to side for her so i moved the mount hole in to make it narrower and cut off the excess leather. Old 223 brass work as a hole punch if needed too. Best buy out there for sure and it seems they make one for darn near ever handgun that comes along.
Old April 14, 2013, 10:18 AM   #4
PawPaw

Quote:
Old 223 brass work as a hole punch if needed too.
I used to make leatherworking hole punches too until my son surpassed me in his leatherworking skills. Then he taught me that good leather drills just as easily as wood. So, nowadays when I need a hole in stiff leather, I chuck the appropriate bit in the Black&Decker and simply drill the hole.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old April 14, 2013, 10:44 AM   #5
mxsailor803

I'm thinking about getting 2 of these (gov 1911 and sig p250). I thought about getting the set up that requires you mold to your firearm. Price difference wise, I might just go the route you did but with some krydex a lil more custom. Looks good though.
Old April 14, 2013, 10:47 AM   #6
kraigwy

Question about this type of holster:

What are the screws made of, assuming one is allergic to metal can they be made to work with plastic screws??

I like the idea of the set up, but wont work for me with metal screws.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 14, 2013, 01:13 PM   #7
craZivn

I really like how the Kydex covers the muzzle of the gun, most holsters of this style just have a "strap" of molded Kydex, not full-coverage.
Not that it's gonna get scratched or hit anyway, being inside your pants, but having the muzzle protected is sort of a pet peeve of mine.

And $40 is a great price! Was there a long lead time, or did it ship out fairly quickly?

Ivan
Old April 14, 2013, 05:35 PM   #8
kahrguy

kraigway Allergic to metal and your going to carry a firearm made of atleast mostly metal?? Yes the fasteners are metal. Guess you can buy some plastic sex bolts and hope they hold up or "paint "over the metal fasteners with some liquid rubber or urethane so no metal touchs your body.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:15 PM   #9
alex2008

Mine took 4 weeks to ship, but once it shipped it was delivered quick. I think Crossbreed has 6-8 week wait time right now
Old April 14, 2013, 11:51 PM   #10
craZivn

Kahrguy, if his gun has a polymer frame then all the steel parts will be shielded from his body by the holster leather.

Kraigwy, you can get nylon or plastic screws online, search for "nylon post screw". The plastic ones might be too brittle, but I would think the nylon screws would be strong enough. You can also get the post screws in brass or aluminum if there's a specific metal you are allergic to.

Ivan
Old April 15, 2013, 08:15 AM   #11
915A

looks good, I have two waiting on me at the house.
Old April 15, 2013, 11:36 AM   #12
Jbotto

Quote:
craZivn
I really like how the Kydex covers the muzzle of the gun, most holsters of this style just have a "strap" of molded Kydex, not full-coverage.
Not that it's gonna get scratched or hit anyway, being inside your pants, but having the muzzle protected is sort of a pet peeve of mine.
Not all of OFH's holsters do that....

Not a current picture, but just know that they only cover the muzzle on some models.
Old April 15, 2013, 01:17 PM   #13
kahrguy

crazivn I read what he said . Jeessss