The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 28, 2010, 04:33 PM   #1
doofus47

Free Ranging: Tok T33 vx. XDM .40 4.5" bbl range comparison

So when I my Tok went down at the range a couple weeks ago, I got out my XDM .40 to do some practicing as the XDM is now going with me as my blackpowder sidearm. Usually, it's the Tok, but I"ve recently begun playing around with these modern concepts like "safeties" and "trigger block" and "striker" and so I bought an XDM....

Anyway, my perception is that the recoil of the Tok shooting Yugo or Polish surplus ammo is identical to that of the XDM shooting Winchester or S&B. They're both a little snappy but controllable. Neither is painful.
Weight is pretty similar to my feel. The XDM definitely weighs more with 16 rounds in the magazine, but the grip angle seems to take some of the weight off. Or maybe I had some adrenaline helping my arms.
The XDM pointed more naturally.
The Tok grip is thinner which works better for my tiny squirrel hands. Although the XDM felt a hair big while sitting around the garage, it felt rock solid while the pistol was recoiling.
Sights:
No surprise: the sights are better on the modern pistol. I think that both are more accurate than I am.

I feel pretty comfortable taking the .40--give me 16 shots at anything and sooner or later I'm going to hit it.

Ok, not that anyone cares as this comparison is about as esoteric as one can get, but... In case you were starting a database comparing modern pistol recoil vs. c&r pistol recoil.
Old August 28, 2010, 10:30 PM   #2
cougar gt-e

Funny, my tok seems to recoil about like a 9mm. Definitely less than my xdm40.

If you add weight to the guide rod by filling with tungsten, lead or replacing with a solid tungsten one, it will be much more solid feeling. I went with smaller tungsten rods soldered inside the stock guide rod. makes a difference.
Old August 30, 2010, 07:58 AM   #3
doofus47

Quote:
Funny, my tok seems to recoil about like a 9mm.
I don't own a 9mm; maybe I need one to do "comparative research"

Thanks for the tungsten tip. The XDM is the only modern pistol I own. I am not sure if I will keep it. My Makarov has made be a believer in the theory of a de-cocker. Still a pistol that fits-in-the-hand is worth two in the local shop window...
Old August 30, 2010, 10:43 PM   #4
cougar gt-e

Quote:
Thanks for the tungsten tip. The XDM is the only modern pistol I own. I am not sure if I will keep it. My Makarov has made be a believer in the theory of a de-cocker. Still a pistol that fits-in-the-hand is worth two in the local shop window...
The XDm is also my most modern pistol. But, it's a good one. However, while it has the 1911 grip angle, it needs some love in the trigger department. A $100 kit from PRP will fix it. Or just polishing key parts and adding weaker springs will give a much nicer feel -- but will leave the long reset. The extra weight out front seems to make the recoil less of a bother. It's still there, but more straight back with less barrel rise.

The TT's are good old iron pistols and simple in construction. I'd say, keep the m, it will be easier to get parts for in the future not that you will need to as it has a life time guarantee.