The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 14, 2010, 09:30 AM   #1
flashhole

What kind of rifle case do you like best?

What kind of rifle cases do you guys favor? I recently picked up the “Air Glide” rifle case made my Plano. It opens via a hinged top and has foam pads at the buttstock and forestock areas. There are Velcro straps that run through keepers that are molded into the case at the foam pad locations. You wrap the strap over your gun to secure it in place.

Seems like a good design. It definitely has more room for the bolt assembly than the ones that lay flat. I can’t comment to its durability yet because I just got it but it claims to be airline safe with accommodations for two small locks on the flange area where the top meets the bottom.

So what do you guys like for toting your rifles?

Are you ready for civil war?
Old August 14, 2010, 09:38 AM   #2
zoomie

If I really want it protected well, Pelican. I trust my 1750 to handle just about anything TSA or the highway can throw at it. But it's heavy, so a soft case is usually good enough!
Old August 14, 2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Might want to ask the moderators to move this thread to Gear and Accessories for opinions from the non-reloaders?

I do like the case style you illustrated. My Steyr Scout came in one, though it has Mannlicher stamped on the side. I have no idea who originated the built-in Velcro straps, but they work.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 14, 2010, 10:58 AM   #4
Jbotto

I bought one of Midway USA's new(er?) gray and black soft cases. That case is by far the best I've ever seen...as far as soft cases go. It is extremely padded for top protection! I love it. If looking at them, get one a size up from what you think you'll need. My rifle just barely fits the one that it's "supposed" to. Oh well, I guess I just need to buy another!
Old August 14, 2010, 01:32 PM   #5
lll Otto lll

For AR-15 and Mini 14 I use Galati's Premium XT cases. Best cases I've found to date.
They are considered soft cases but actually they're very rigid.
IMO, Pelican and Storm cases are great for travel but too cumbersome to take to the range.

Old August 15, 2010, 12:08 AM   #6
TXGunNut

I was gonna say Remington or Starline but I guess someone's in the wrong area. I have a pile of the other kind of cases that I can't run & jump over but never thought about posting about them.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 15, 2010, 12:22 PM   #7
Slamfire

I have used the Air Guide case for years carrying my highpower match rifles to and from the line. It is an excellent case.

I recently purchased a lighweight all aluminum case for my Anschutz small bore rifle as the Air Guide interior was not large enough for that rifle.

This Winchester single rifle case cost $90.00 at Walmart. It is not too heavy and not too big.