The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2010, 04:16 AM   #1
PDshooter

wolf reloads

With a ton of empty wolf (Steel) cases laying around the range...And the good old days of 7 cents 7.62X39 long gone... Its been on my mind how can I load this.....
Well first thing is how to I get the old primer out...I used the water method, fill the case with water and a punch that a machinist friend made for me .311 and just give it a whack.......Now come the sticky part, still fooling around with different sealer, but nail polish (Wife) works for now.. Give them about 3 coats, I let them dry first after each coating.....I've shot about 100rds already, about 1/2 the time the primers eject out after each firing......This is by the way a " one time loading" I shoot my reloads in a SKS. with 26grs of IMR-4895.
Shoot Shovel Shut-up!
Old March 26, 2010, 06:45 AM   #2
darkgael

Hmm

I have heard about reloading steel cases.
I thought that they were Berdan primed....if that is correct, that would explain why your primers are backing out. If you are using standard boxer primers, they are a different diameter than the Berdan type.
I may, however, be wrong about the priming. Which is it? Berdan or Boxer?
Old March 26, 2010, 07:27 AM   #3
rambokid

Berdan
Old March 26, 2010, 08:49 AM   #4
PDshooter

Berdan.........If I could buy them I would.......
Shoot Shovel Shut-up!
Old March 26, 2010, 09:55 AM   #5
vladan

Try red locktite ... it is stronger then nail polish and cure in between primer cup and cartridge walls when nail polish will not dry there ( least not quick enough)
I used to reload the wolf 7.62x39 back then when there was no 7.62x39 ammo but I just drilled center hole half way (just enough to drill trough steel but not the primer cup, it is not that difficult as it sound) and then resized/deprimed case by the resizing die ... then "glued" boxer primer in with red (permanent) locktite . Locktite held the primer much better and even there was three flash holes now I only got occasional blown primer
But frankly it is all too much hassle, now the price of reloable brass ammo goes down it is better just to buy few boxes of S&B, PMC, Fiocchi or Prvi 7.62x39 for like 9-10 bucks a box and then reload that...
Old March 26, 2010, 09:57 AM   #6
William T. Watts

Wolf reloads

Delete this one! William

Last edited by William T. Watts; March 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old March 26, 2010, 10:12 AM   #7
William T. Watts

Wolf reloads

Half the time the primer ejects, do you mean that literally?? Or is the primer backing out partially but not leaking aroung the primer, if the primer is coming completely out of the primer pocket your in danger of damaging your bolt face. William