The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 23, 1999, 10:30 AM   #1
p1445

We are planning on having a three gun match at South River gun club on December 19. As of now the match will consist of four pistol stages, two shotgun stages, and two rifle/carbine stages.

Any questions, comments, or suggestions are welcome.

p1445
Old November 23, 1999, 11:55 AM   #2
motorep

Mix up the stages- pistol/rifle, shotgun/pistol, etc.
Old November 23, 1999, 12:22 PM   #3
Ricky T

p1445:
Who are putting on the match? The IPSC club or some other group? The third Sunday is usually IPSC/USPSA. Sounds interesting.
I like Motorep's ideas. Usually you would shoot shotguns with birdshots on steel pepper poppers, slugs on paper, pistols on either or both, rifle on paper (since we don't have any steel to hold up against rifle rounds).
Old November 23, 1999, 01:55 PM   #4
p1445

The three gun match is going to be the monthly IPSC match.

I would agree that mixed format stages would be fun, but there was a few considerations we are keeping in mind.
Several people at last year's two gun match(pistol and shotgun) didn't want anything to do with shotguns, so we will have four stages of pistol only, including a classifier, for those who only want to fire a pistol. Additionally, there are several of us who can't fit the additional rifle and shotgun crap on our IPSC rigs. Our intention is to squad the competiters in such a way as to have the individual squads shoot the stages by format. That is to say, your squad will shoot all of the rifle, then all of the pistol, and then all of the shotgun stages; otherwise you would have to swap your shooting rig at every stage, which would take up too much time.

This match is going to be a test of sorts. If it goes well, we may have a georgia state 3 gun match, which would have mixed stages, and more total stages as well.

p1445
Old November 23, 1999, 06:41 PM   #5
motorep

With your parameters in mind, it's easy enough to design courses where you don't have to change all your gear between stages- a pistol/rifle stage: start with the pistol on a table(in a drawer, under a rag, or whatever)- requires no holster- engage the 3 paper targets by the guard house, taking the pistol with you, run to the guard house, engage the last paper target.Pick up the guards' rifle, engage more targets( fewer than rounds in the mag). You get the idea, the point is, this requires no gear except a holster or bag for your pistol at the end of the course.
Bear in mind that what will slow down your match is scoring the rifle stages, just because of the extra walking involved.
Good luck, Nick Jones A14838
Old November 29, 1999, 02:28 PM   #6
p1445

BTTT
Old November 30, 1999, 03:28 PM   #7
Darknight

Do you have to be a member? Where is it at? I'm from the Savannah area, Hinesville.... I'm interested in this. More info would be nice..

Thanks,
Darknight

------------------
G21, the only one.
1911 A1 another one.
AR15 the long one.
Old November 30, 1999, 04:44 PM   #8
p1445

This is going to be our first 3-gun match, so we are still working out some of the details.

You don't need to be a member of South River club, or of USPSA to shoot the match. Our usual non-member match fee is $18, and I am pretty sure that is what it will cost to shoot this match.

South River is about 30-40 min. away from Harstfield airport. Here is the map from our web site http://members.tripod.com/gasection/srpsamap.gif

I am sorry about the lack of details, this was a last minute idea of ours, our web page hasn't been updated yet, but I will update as information becomes availible.

We are still working on course design/ selection, but right now we are looking at 6 stages. Four pistol, two shotgun, and two rifle. Round counts for the rifle will be around 58 min. and about 25 rounds for shotgun( this is the latest estimate).

I hope to be able to provide complete details by the end of this week.

If anyone is planning on shooting this match please let me know(we are tring to guesstimate the turn out) by posting here or by e-mailing me.

p1445
Old November 30, 1999, 05:16 PM   #9
Ricky T

I will be there.
Old December 1, 1999, 09:14 AM   #10
p1445

Ok, here is the latest:
(Edited from our e-mail notification)

MILLENNIUM MATCH - Sunday, December 19, 1999. We are planning on making the
last match of the 1900's something to remember! A three gun match. We are
a bit new to this and may modify the following. We have looked at the
registration form for the Alabama Three Gun Match (which friends swear is
great) and have adopted their criteria.

GENERAL: We will make our standard effort to have a "rule book perfect"
match. But the main thing is to be excessivley safe and have an excess
amount of fun, friendship and camraderie. Hopefully, people will "bring
what they got", shoot it and enjoy it and not worry too much about the
details-at least the really small ones.

FORMAT: There will be 8 stages: 4 pistol, 2 shot gun (25 rds min) and 2
rifle (60-65 rds min). Scoring will be standard IPSC scoring. If one gun
is open, then all guns are open. The standards for shotguns and rifles
generally follow the pistol rules: iron sights and no compensator is
limited and glass sights and compensator is open.

There will be a maximum of 8 round magazines for the limited shotgun and no
speedloaders.

MATCH SIZE AND PREREGISTRATION: We aren't quite sure to expect. It will be
a lot of fun, but it is the weekend preceeding Christmas. We don't know if
it will be a small turnout or large match. Since we will be shooting on one
of the shortest days of the year, we will limit the match to 8 squads of 10
shooters each for a total of 80 shooters. You can pre-register (e-mail me with full name)or take your chances, but it will be cut
off at 80 shooters if it gets that big.

VOLUNTEERS: We hope to get underway by 9:30 am. If you can help us with
set-up the Saturday before the match, please do so. We will really need
early help on the Sunday morning of the match. Again, we are looking at
this as our party for ourselves and hope that everyone will look for a way
to contribute.

FREE SCHOOL: We will have our normal free school at 1:30 pm on Saturday,
November 18, 1999.

If you have any additional questions feel free to e-mail me.

p1445

[This message has been edited by p1445 (edited December 01, 1999).]
Old December 9, 1999, 01:15 PM   #11
p1445

BTTT.
Old December 10, 1999, 06:09 PM   #12
Darknight

How many do you have signed up?? I just got a SPAS12 and am itchin to try it out. <G> Any more info would be nice, since I am driving about 3.5-4 hours to get there. Also since my AR has a muzzle brake will that put me in the open, I'm new to this and would like to know, none of my other stuff is super high speed race-gun stuff.

Thanks,
Darknight

------------------
G21, the only one.
1911 A1 another one.
AR15 the long one.
Old December 10, 1999, 07:25 PM   #13
p1445

Darknight,

As of a few days ago, we had 26 confirmed shooters. I know there are several shooters in our group who don't have acess to web, so I would guess we'll get 5-10 more who will show up. Being the weekend before Christmas, we seem to have a light turn out. Maybe the last minute Christmas shopping will put people in the mood to shoot.

I have seen the rifle and shotgun courses we will be using, and it should be a hoot.

The two shot gun courses will require 12rnds each. The first is a run and gun field course with 12 pepper poppers. The second is a 12rnd modified speed shoot(some movement, but not alot of running) with 7 pepper poppers, three us poppers, and 2 8" round plates. All of the shotgun targets are steel knock down targets, and will require bird shot for ammo(no buckshot or slugs allowed and no steel shot). I will be using #7.5 or #8 winchester game loads with an improved modified choke. You can use anything from #6-#9, and any choke you want.

The two rifle stages will require 58rnds minimum. The first is a 30rnd standards course, with 3 strings of fire. You will be required to fire from standing, kneeling, and prone positions, with the longest shots at about 40yds. There will be some challengeing shots here. The second rifle stage is a 28rnd minimum, run and gun field course. It will feature some fairly hard shots in the 40yrd range, with some up close and fast stuff thrown in. Bring your running shoes for this one, and you may want to practice your speed reloads.

I haven't seen the pistol courses yet, but I would guess you'll need at least 3 magazines. If you are going to shoot a single stack pistol you'll need even more, as I would imagine there will be at least one pistol stage with around 24rnds minimum. I would bring at least 100 rounds of pistol ammo just to be on the safe side. I'll post an update when I see the final pistol stages.

Unfortuneately the muzzle brake on your rifle will probably put you into the open class, if you want e-mail me a description of it(brand, style, etc.), and I'll run past our tech guy to be sure. I'm not sure I like the open/limited rules much either, as I had to remove the tec-loader from my Bennelli to make limited, and I had to forget about using the reflex I wanted on my car15. Still it should be a lot of fun! If you have to drive 3-4 hours each way, we will probably set you up as a shoot through so you can finish early and get back on the road.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

p1445
Old December 10, 1999, 07:46 PM   #14
p1445

Like, duh!

Why didn't I think of this before. Go to Map Quest at http://www.mapquest.com/cgi-bin/mqtr...7n00y&random=1 and enter your address, then enter the club address:
5205 hwy 212
covington, Ga

and you will get a map and directions right from your door to the club door.

p1445
Old December 12, 1999, 06:49 PM   #15
Ricky T

p1445:
Just came back from South River. Had to do last minute practicing with the CAR15. Looking forward to the match.
Old December 13, 1999, 06:42 PM   #16
p1445

Ricky T,

I just bought a CAR-15, hopefully I'll have it figured out by then. I have found an unusual amount of .223 brass in the IPSC pits lately, I guess we're not the only ones looking forward to this.

If anyone else is interested in shooting this match, let me know, we still have opennings availible.

p1445
Old December 14, 1999, 08:52 AM   #17
Ricky T

p1445,
yep, most of those 223 brass were mine.
Old December 16, 1999, 06:56 PM   #18
p1445

I finally have the pistol stages. There will be 4 pistol stages with a minimum of 82 rnds required. The first is a 24rnd field course. The second is a 24rnd modified speed shoot. The third is a 16rnd speed shoot. and the fourth is an 18rnd speed shoot. You will need at least 3 pistol magazines, and I would recommend bringing 150rnds of pistol ammo.
p1445
Old December 20, 1999, 09:14 AM   #19
Ricky T

P1445:
Good to see you at the match. I had a blast (pun intended) at the match. Shot the rifle and shotgun stages. I didn't shoot the pistol stages though 'cause they were running late, at 2 pm our squad hadn't finish one pistol stage. I hope Bill H. and John H. organize more of these type matches. I will email them my support for more 3 guns.
Old December 20, 1999, 02:34 PM   #20
p1445

Rick T:

I'm glad you had a good time, too bad you didn't stick with it, as the pistol stages went pretty fast. The shooting was over by 4:30 or so. The scores should be online later in the week.

All:

The three gun match was indeed a blast", and it looks like we will do another one. I'm not sure how many of you got to shoot the match, but I would like to hear your comments. I also observed several people checking out the match, and I would like to hear your coments as well.

p1445